• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Crossing (breeding) need tips on what to cross

This is the perfect time for me to make some cool cross pollinations.

This year i got around 60 diff vars.

Mainly i think i will cross C.chinense but all cool tips etc are welcome.
Am not really after a tasty pod more a good and cool looking pod.

What do i have to play with?

C.chinense

7 Pot
7 Pot Jonah
Buht Jolokia

Datil
Dorset Naga
Fatalii
Habanero Black Congo
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Yellow Bumpy
Habanero White
Lantern
Naga Morich
Pimenta da Neyde
Pink Habanero
Red savina
Scotch Bonnet Red
Sucre Fuego hab
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend
Naga Jolokia Purple

+ quite a few C.Ann and C.Bacc check my growlist in my profile.

This is what i came up with so far:

Buht Jolokia x Pimenta da Neyde (mother plant)
Trinidad Scorpion x Pimenta da Neyde (mother plant)
Starfish x Pimenta da Neyde (mother plant)

Just an idea:

White Bullet Hab x Naga Morich

Best case: Mini-naga pods on a crazy productive small plants, ripening to red.
Less cool but quite possibly cooler case: White nagas?

Intressting, i was thinking of the white hab x naga my self some time ago!
I wounder how Fatalii x Naga wuld taste, "Yellow nagas" mmm ;) Anyone tested? Dont wanna cross somthing ppl already are breeding.
Atm we have insane heat 30c and i have my plants in my greenhouse, so i expect alot of flowerdrops atm.

Keep the proposal comming!

I will update with pictures etc when i start the crossings projects.

I already have a few seeds ready to plant this season of this hybrid: Buht Jolokia x Pimenta da Neyde
but I'd maybe like to try a Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend x Fatalii or perhaps a 7 Pot Jonah x Fatalii

Lots of good crossing ideas, keep them coming i will be busy in the green house on my 4 weeks vecation!
Just gonna be one hell of work to grow them all out. But am sure i culd find me some helpers to grow out some seeds.

I already have a few seeds ready to plant this season of this hybrid: Buht Jolokia x Pimenta da Neyde
but I'd maybe like to try a Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend x Fatalii or perhaps a 7 Pot Jonah x Fatalii

Oh nice! Then i wont do that one or hmm mybe i will just for fun ;)

And justinNC, i do have alot of time i plan on living at least 40 more years! ;)

White pods may be difficult to stabalize, you'd probably want to grow out a huge trial garden and choose only your best whites for inbreeding/stabalizing. Another problem is that most white pods get sort of yellowy and don't usually stay white very long, and for some reason I always have more problems germinating white chinenses than all other varieties :(

White pods may be difficult to stabalize, you'd probably want to grow out a huge trial garden and choose only your best whites for inbreeding/stabalizing. Another problem is that most white pods get sort of yellowy and don't usually stay white very long, and for some reason I always have more problems germinating white chinenses than all other varieties :(

Yeah I assumed such a task would not be easy........ It's a shame though because when I saw the pics of JR's white 7's I was just thrown. Something about an innocent white pepper that could "kill" you.

White chinenses are cool but does the "white 7 pod" look like, taste like, or have the heat of a true 7 pod. 7 pods are red Trinidad landrace peppers and I always feel crosses should be given a seperate name or at least labelled as a cross. Just look at all the different chinenses labelled as habaneros these days that aren't hab shaped, hab flavored, and not even from Mexico. Very few are actually habs but now we're stuck with these names and the confusion.
I think that as knowledgable chile-heads we can do better when it comes to naming crosses, but maybe I'm alone on this one

White chinenses are cool but does the "white 7 pod" look like, taste like, or have the heat of a true 7 pod. 7 pods are red Trinidad landrace peppers and I always feel crosses should be given a seperate name or at least labelled as a cross. Just look at all the different chinenses labelled as habaneros these days that aren't hab shaped, hab flavored, and not even from Mexico. Very few are actually habs but now we're stuck with these names and the confusion.
I think that as knowledgable chile-heads we can do better when it comes to naming crosses, but maybe I'm alone on this one

i fully agree.
things that aren't stable should be labeled as such. AFAIK, the white 7 pod hybrid isn't a stable variety, and as such it should be labeled as a hybrid.

that's why is freaked over the purple bhut a few weeks back. this thing doesn't look like a bhut at all, and there's zero data regarding the stability of the thing.

anyways, yeah. we should be a bit more careful with the naming that goes on here.

i fully agree.
things that aren't stable should be labeled as such. AFAIK, the white 7 pod hybrid isn't a stable variety, and as such it should be labeled as a hybrid.

that's why is freaked over the purple bhut a few weeks back. this thing doesn't look like a bhut at all, and there's zero data regarding the stability of the thing.

anyways, yeah. we should be a bit more careful with the naming that goes on here.

Yupp, naming shold be like for example
Coco Bhut (Bhut jolokia x Coco Hab)

But i guess ppl that sells them gets more orders when they call them Yellow bhut jolokia insted of what its really is.
The vars i will make i will make sure to include what the variety the parents was.

The white 7 pot do look amazing, i got some seeds from it gonna be fun to see if i can get somthing looking like it!

I agree as well. I would like to know more about the yellow bhut's origins. I don't care what it is, I think it's one of the more beautiful chiles I've seen. I think it should become standard practice to include a pedigree with these new varieties though. Yes I'd like to know how true some of these new crosses are to their name but I think it's interesting to see how you got that cross. A photo trail from each cross as you go would be cool.

Today, i made some crosses

Pimenta x Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend
Pimenta x Naga
Pimenta x Dorset naga
Pimenta x Amarillo
Congo black x amarillo

I have yet no flowers on my fatalli i was to slow with that one this year (killed the first plant). But it will be soon!
I hope least one of those crosses will take. But i will keep doing them over and over.

I got a few more to do, this week.

just wanna ask a newbie, whats the best way for a successful cross pollination? do i need to manually pollinate each flower or just putting two blooming plants close to each other is enough?

thanks

Back