• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Crossing Peppers

Since I have such a wide array of seeds started this year I'm thinking of crossing a few to see what I get.. What do you think of these crosses?

Fatali X Bhut Jolokia Yellow

Bhut Jolokia Chocolate X Yellow Devils Tongue

Trin Scorp Butch T X Yellow Scorpion Cardi

Naga Morich X Yellow Devils Tongue

Should be interesting.

potwie would be your man on that subject, he has spent exhaustive time figuring out the technology, personally i like peppers in their original state.......heirloom.

Fatali X Bhut Jolokia Yellow would be interesting indeed. Would like to see them

There are several theories about the fatalii being one of the original parents of the Bhut. Personally I'd rather cross 2 completely different pod types than just try to cross different similar super-hots, which seems to be what eveybody else is trying to do these days

Yes, cross pollination is the method I would use. I want to cross similar peppers because in my own theory similar peppers would likely be more stable ones versus ones of totally different characteristics. I'm new to the whole pepper seen in general obviously but I do have a green thumb, I've been grafting & growing trees for about five years +. Actually my wife says I have a plant addiction and that I'm a seed hoarder. Ha Ha... Normally my bottom two bins in my fridge are loaded with Chestnuts for seed, Persimmon seeds, Acorns & Scion wood from almost every imaginable fruit tree you can think of (for rootstock I don't even have, yet). Heck what else am I supposed to do living in the Deep south, in the country on 10 acres surrounded by thousands of acres of national forest when I'm not at work? The nearest store is 28 miles..
Anyway enough rambling. It's just a thought for now.

Personally I'm trying to cross super-hots with sweet bells to get something like a rocoto for stuffing but in the 6 digits.

Most of my seedlings are pretty healthy and ready to up-pot for another month or so before they go in the ground, and I have my suspicions that one of my Fatali seedlings is crossed with a Bhut. I have gotten pretty good at telling the different cultivars apart after they get their 4th or 5th set of true leaves, and this particular Fatali isn't nice and compact with ovate leaves like is typical, but has longer leaves and less compact growing habit like the Bhut. The only other thing this could have crossed with is a Chocolate Habanero...I don't isolate for seed, so I am excited about this potential cross, and I'll keep you guys updated when it starts to produce pods later this summer.

I want to cross similar peppers because in my own theory similar peppers would likely be more stable ones versus ones of totally different characteristics.

They may appear to be more stable visually since they are so close to start with but to truly stabilize them will take just as long as crossing unsimilar peppers. Remember that many qualities are not visual and have to do with vigour and disease resistance etc.

They may appear to be more stable visually since they are so close to start with but to truly stabilize them will take just as long as crossing unsimilar peppers. Remember that many qualities are not visual and have to do with vigour and disease resistance etc.

Good point.. I guess we'll have to see what kinda of Frankenstein pepper I can come up with.

We've had this discussion a million times and most people including me find them similar but different

+1

to me the devils tongue has more of a "bite" than does the Fatalii...

experimenting in the garden is one of the most enjoyable things to do...

Because my Chile de Onza is having trouble setting fruit I decided to throw some Black Pearl pollen at one, I know the Black Pearl is already a hybrid, so who knows what will happen, if it even takes the cross.

I'm with hot stuff though, super hot x sweet pepper, see what you get, might get something like the Cajun Belle but spicier, or try a Big Jim with a Bhut Jolokia or Trindad Scorpion. I was going to attempt something like this.

Back