Crowd Sourced Pepper Database

juanitos said:
thanks for advice pedps, i guess i will focus less on getting people on the site and focus more on filling it out and linking to it when people ask a question about a variety on threads here and other forums. i think i will buy a domain like pepperwiki.org or something and move everything soon.

That's against the rules, don't do that, you need to keep the promotion of your site in Promotion. If the owner of Yelp posted a link to Yelp every time someone asked about a restaurant that would be promotion and get annoying. Even if your site is free and you feel it is a benefit to others, it is still promoting in a discussion.

We offer you this promotion section for that reason.

Thanks

So if someone asked "what peppers are best for short season growers?"

and i said " Well depending on where you are its good to start them indoors to get a head start. but places with particularly short seasons it might be best to grow [these varieties]. " 
where [these varieties] links to the database and shows all varieties with less than 80 day maturity.

that'd be bahd? the database is meant to be used as reference material but, if people can't link to it here then there's not much point in talking about it anymore i guess...
or is it that i just can't link to it because i'm the admin and have interests in the site being used? 

You are best to keep it in here. There are ways to promote new ventures but the discussion areas are for discussion. I'm sure once it is built people will be linking for informational purposes, like we do for wikipedia, but if wiki was in its infancy, and their employees came here looking for people to add peppers, they too would have to post in Promotion, and not link people away from discussions based on keywords. We don't allow this for multiple reasons. What if there was more than one site like yours and multiple people promoting their link? Maybe there is not but if you allow one you have to allow all. What if hot sauce makers posted links to their sites in all the pepper or hot sauce discussions? They don't. They post in Promotion. If you allow one, you allow all, and then this place becomes a link farm that looks like spam, with discussion lost in the ads.

When there's an acronym instead of a link, it doesn't tend to derail the conversation ...

Like JHPW - Juanitos Hot Pepper Wiki, or something ...

People will mostly just pass over the JHPW in people's threads, as it becomes a symbol of sorts ...

Nice!  Make sure you have a landing page at the old url that will forward people to the new one, in case people bookmarked the old one

hey juanitos -

i'm assuming you know some html/js, but i'm wondering if you program in python at all? ...

i'm thinking about making some stuff to share w/ the community, and i'm on the fence between making it in python or just using server-side javascript (node.js) to make it more accessible to the community ...

grantmichaels said:
hey juanitos -

i'm assuming you know some html/js, but i'm wondering if you program in python at all? ...

i'm thinking about making some stuff to share w/ the community, and i'm on the fence between making it in python or just using server-side javascript (node.js) to make it more accessible to the community ...
nope haven't needed to use python yet.

juanitos said:
nope haven't needed to use python yet.

OK ...

I'm going to use server-side JavaScript ...

Can't avoid JavaScript for anything web-related, so it's the simplest thing to use to make something that the most people can contribute to ...

I've been going back and forth, because Python is easy and accessible, and also really popular in the IoT (Arduino, BBB, Raspberry Pi) space where some of the stuff I want to contribute will be, but you can still use server-side JS there too, and probably the majority of existing code for those projects is in Arduino (lang.) anyways ...

OK.

That's it - no more back and forth ... I'll be open-sourcing some pepper-related JavaScript projects in the coming months ...

grantmichaels said:

OK ...
That's it - no more back and forth ... I'll be open-sourcing some pepper-related JavaScript projects in the coming months ...
mmmmk, use what you like! all the scripting / web languages blend together after a while.
why you tease me with a little information then leave  :tear:

juanitos said:
mmmmk, use what you like! all the scripting / web languages blend together after a while.
why you tease me with a little information then leave  :tear:

Going to code up an "ecommerce store" built as a static website and Docker-ize it and open-source it here ...

It'll run either on a free Heroku instance, a $5 Digital Ocean server, or can be run from local network using a computer (mac, pc, linux, AND the most-common IoT devices) ...

It makes me happy to move business from PayPal (what a lot of people seem to do, now) to Stripe for doing so ... just because ...

I have some much more interesting plans for some other things that I think will be fun, but like the wiki, building complementary tools for people using the forum is good stuff.

I was going to do this a couple of years ago, but it stopped being fun before I got going ...

PS - I always close the tabs, but I follow the topic, so I get instant email when you respond ;)

Going to code up an "ecommerce store" built as a static website and Docker-ize it and open-source it here ...

It'll run either on a free Heroku instance, a $5 Digital Ocean server, or can be run from local network using a computer (mac, pc, linux, AND the most-common IoT devices) ...

It makes me happy to move business from PayPal (what a lot of people seem to do, now) to Stripe for doing so ... just because ...

I have some much more interesting plans for some other things that I think will be fun, but like the wiki, building complementary tools for people using the forum is good stuff.

I was going to do this a couple of years ago, but it stopped being fun before I got going ...

PS - I always close the tabs, but I follow the topic, so I get instant email when you respond ;)

Make easy for site builders; that translates in to "regular" John Jane Doe.

Requiring the use of docker and similar tools will make a lot of people who are interested in it be like "wtf is that".

Basically, answer the question of what will it do better than xyz already on the market, and how easy can it be done.

I'm not planning to teach people Docker, I'm planning to provide the instructions, and whether or not they choose to go down the rabbit hole will be up to them ... lol.

I'm not supporting old browsers, either.

I don't have time to become a slave to any of it, but it'll be out there for motivated folks ...

I'm not planning to teach people Docker, I'm planning to provide the instructions, and whether or not they choose to go down the rabbit hole will be up to them ... lol.

I'm not supporting old browsers, either.

I don't have time to become a slave to any of it, but it'll be out there for motivated folks ...

Bet, up to you. I agree with not teaching and not supporting legacy browsers (people still use those?), but I do think making it usable by all vs developer oriented will be better in the long run.

I mean if people were gonna use this, they would have to become familiar with nodejs, docker etc AND maintain their own server environment, be it heroku or whatevs. Bit much to ask the next great vendor who doesn't have the time or budget to throw into web dev.

I think the popularity of wordpress (shudders) is a good example here. Upload anywhere, install, run.

Or dedicated and managed solutions like shopify.

In any case, I'll be waiting for an alpha ;-)

filmost said:
Bet, up to you. I agree with not teaching and not supporting legacy browsers (people still use those?), but I do think making it usable by all vs developer oriented will be better in the long run.

I mean if people were gonna use this, they would have to become familiar with nodejs, docker etc AND maintain their own server environment, be it heroku or whatevs. Bit much to ask the next great vendor who doesn't have the time or budget to throw into web dev.

I think the popularity of wordpress (shudders) is a good example here. Upload anywhere, install, run.

Or dedicated and managed solutions like shopify.

In any case, I'll be waiting for an alpha ;-)

Wordpress - probably the worst target for getting pwned out there ... pay the price up front, or pay it in the end ...

And I mean, as soon as you want to make money off your site, aren't you into hosted-WP-ville, anyways? ... at that point you are deploying and managing db backups and stuff, so I mean, as soon as you want to get paid for banner ads or take people's money, I think you are either paying for someone to do it, or having to do it ...

In my case, I'm planning to make the ecommerce site a static site, so there very little attack surface, and I'm planning to make the inventory or item list etc, either a YAML file that easy to edit by hand, or probably more likely, have it back the store using a Google Drive Spreadsheet, actually ...

It's going to be easy, and yes, it's going to be for competent regular users.

Wordpress - probably the worst target for getting pwned out there ... pay the price up front, or pay it in the end ...

And I mean, as soon as you want to make money off your site, aren't you into hosted-WP-ville, anyways? ... at that point you are deploying and managing db backups and stuff, so I mean, as soon as you want to get paid for banner ads or take people's money, I think you are either paying for someone to do it, or having to do it ...

In my case, I'm planning to make the ecommerce site a static site, so there very little attack surface, and I'm planning to make the inventory or item list etc, either a YAML file that easy to edit by hand, or probably more likely, have it back the store using a Google Drive Spreadsheet, actually ...

It's going to be easy, and yes, it's going to be for competent regular users.

Hosted WP has the benefit of shared hosting with cpanel and single click or automatic backups.

I like the idea of yaml or spreadsheet backend, and at the same time I don't. Yaml, more to learn albeit fairly simple. spreadsheet backend, hard to move.

Granted you are right, by the time that happens peeps probably willing to shell out money.

In either case, like I said, I await an alpha he'll even a basic dev version. Are you gonna through it up on github?

Back