• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Crunch time

I have a couple more weeks before it is too cold overnight to leave my plants out. I am wondering if I should trim them before bringing in doors. Anyone regret either way. I am leaning toward trim later if at all.
20160928_181640.jpg

This reaper is loaded with pods and may keep producing for a while.

Luckily I've never had to deal with this, but I guess it would depend on if you still have peppers on or not. If not then trimming shouldn't hurt

I would trim them. Cutting back new growth will tell the plant to put more resources into growing pods that are already on it instead of producing new flowers and pods. 

What exactly is your goal??? Are you trying to have those last pods ripen off? Just bring them in the garage on frosty nights and back out during the day. We are in the same zone and you can do this into mid to late November easily. 

I will not bring a plant like that inside,but I am anal about not bringing pests in. I've seen too many horror stories.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
I would trim them. Cutting back new growth will tell the plant to put more resources into growing pods that are already on it instead of producing new flowers and pods.
 Ill take more flowers and pods. Fresh pods in Dec and Jan is awesome.

Pr0digal_son said:
What exactly is your goal??? Are you trying to have those last pods ripen off? Just bring them in the garage on frosty nights and back out during the day. We are in the same zone and you can do this into mid to late November easily. 

I will not bring a plant like that inside,but I am anal about not bringing pests in. I've seen too many horror stories.
Extend this year into next.
Way too much work moving all those pots back and forth. Pest I got under control.

Got yah. I might not have read the original post properly.

Deal me in on indoor pest control?? You have a good way to clean a plant before bringing in without totally chopping it up??

Pr0digal_son said:
Got yah. I might not have read the original post properly.
Deal me in on indoor pest control?? You have a good way to clean a plant before bringing in without totally chopping it up??
White flies I can keep in check with fly strips and aphids I anhilate with Guardian.

I tried those samples you were talking about last season. I treated early as a preventive and didn't see an aphid all season and barely any grubs. Also no black spot either. Shame it's not available anymore IMO it seems to work and I like the smell.

Jase4224 said:
Shame it's not available anymore IMO it seems to work and I like the smell.

No, it's not.   It's absolutely fantastic that it's not available anymore, because it was a harmful product, with far reaching impact, and it was deceitfully sold.

Seriously, f**k that stuff...

President Trump said:
What is Guardian?

Just Google "guardian pesticide banned", and see for yourself.

solid7 said:
No, it's not.   It's absolutely fantastic that it's not available anymore, because it was a harmful product, with far reaching impact, and it was deceitfully sold. Seriously, f**k that stuff... Just Google "guardian pesticide banned", and see for yourself.
No matter what you have, do or think, there is always someone out there thinks they know all and will try to piss in your tea. It is a common problem these days to promote an ideology based on a lack of ALL the facts. That being said, carry on.

CAPCOM said:
No matter what you have, do or think, there is always someone out there thinks they know all and will try to piss in your tea. It is a common problem these days to promote an ideology based on a lack of ALL the facts. That being said, carry on.
And there will always be somebody out there who thinks that something isn't actually bad, just because they like it, and can't see an immediate impact on anything else that they like.

You're right, fella. It was probably deemed problematic, just because somebody didn't have anything better to do. All of the impacts were just made up. But hey... as long as YOU get peppers without bugs, to hell with everyone else, right? Sounds logical.

I didn't realize that caring about not killing bee pollinators, which are the backbone of agriculture, was an ideology, but good for you for assuming. I'm not environmentalist, or "eco-terrorist", as I'm sure that you'd make me out to be. I just believe in being responsible for more than that which extends to the ends of our noses!

solid7 said:
And there will always be somebody out there who thinks that something isn't actually bad, just because they like it, and can't see an immediate impact on anything else that they like.

You're right, fella. It was probably deemed problematic, just because somebody didn't have anything better to do. All of the impacts were just made up. But hey... as long as YOU get peppers without bugs, to hell with everyone else, right? Sounds logical.

I didn't realize that caring about not killing bee pollinators, which are the backbone of agriculture, was an ideology, but good for you for assuming. I'm not environmentalist, or "eco-terrorist", as I'm sure that you'd make me out to be. I just believe in being responsible for more than that which extends to the ends of our noses!
I would like for you to explain something!
How do I kill honeybees, in an indoor grow in the middle of winter in northern Illinois? Hmmm?

CAPCOM said:
I would like for you to explain something!
How do I kill honeybees, in an indoor grow in the middle of winter in northern Illinois? Hmmm?
Before I answer that, explain something to me... How is this all about you? Did I miss the part where they made Guardian exclusively for indoor growers in Illinois, who only apply it in the wintertime?

So, I'll say it again, because you proved the point:

solid7 said:

While they didn't make guardian exclusively for growing indoors in Illinois, You are correct that you must have missed something. But then again, relying on Google and what you can glean from the internet to create your talking points will do that to you every time. I happen to know quite a bit more about the guardian story than Google ever will. And while I shouldn't and will not comment on ongoing litigation, rest assured, you have been misinformed.

solid7 said:
Before I answer that, explain something to me... How is this all about you? Did I miss the part where they made Guardian exclusively for indoor growers in Illinois, who only apply it in the wintertime?

So, I'll say it again, because you proved the point:

CAPCOM said:
While they didn't make guardian exclusively for growing indoors in Illinois, You are correct that you must have missed something. But then again, relying on Google and what you can glean from the internet to create your talking points will do that to you every time. I happen to know quite a bit more about the guardian story than Google ever will. And while I shouldn't and will not comment on ongoing litigation, rest assured, you have been misinformed.
Google is just my archive. It's definitely not the first time that I've heard of Guardian.

I don't know if it's you against the world, but it has been banned for use in multiple countries. And several times, any attempts to overturn said bans, have failed spectacularly.

So, without commenting on ongoing litigation, or telling us anything that could potentially get you whacked, why don't you enlighten me... Is Guardian, or is it not, harmful to honeybees?

My father keeps bees, so we'd both love to hear the point of view of someone who is squarely in the corner of a company whose product affect our livelihood.

It seems like I'm always misinformed, whether something is approved for use, or not approved for use. So what's new...  :rolleyes:

Why would there be an attempt to overturn a ban on a product that is not being produced. That does not make any sense at all and there in lies the fruit of misinformation.

Search the archives on the forum. the info you seek is already here.

Back