food Culinary Sandbox

More porkage tonight.

On the tenderloin in the back, lemon-infused avocado oil, a sprinkle of lemon juice, ginger, fatalii, thyme, rosemary, sea salt.

On the  tenderloin in the front, olive oil, oregano, rosemary, cayenne, mustard powder. 
P1020034.JPG

I maybe should have grated the lemon rind instead of using the juice, but I just wanted to pop up the lemon a touch, not go overboard with it. Doing these in the oven tonight rather than the grill, and pics will come later, after all is cooked. And yeah, for those of you who know I usually use about 100 herbs/spices on meat, these are almost as simple as it gets. Almost.  :D

Looks good.

I really like pork tenderloin ... it's something I ate much more frequently in the time before Danielle started getting her way, LOL ...

It's almost the only cut of pork I'll eat these days, other than a shoulder roast done low and slow. I love the flavor and texture of tenderloin when cooked rare or medium-rare. Knowing how you describe Danielle's preference for what I consider to be over-cooked meat, I feel for you.

Fresh out of the oven:
P1020035.JPG

The lemon version, sliced after a 10-minute rest under foil. The other is for later this week. 
P1020036.JPG

This is a seasoning combo I will definitely be going for again, in the very near future. I really liked that hint of lemon and next time will give adding just a light sprinkle of grated rind a try, as well. I have to say "wow", as I wasn't quite sure how I'd like this, but it was definitely something I'm glad I tried. I think I'll go nab that last little bit that's still on the cutting board before anyone else gets to it…. 

Sorry for the dark pics, but these are just the start, anyway. "These" are the latest little harvest of congo trinidads, and a few straggling ripe peños...

P1020037.JPG

… and pumpkin.
P1020038.JPG

Five trays of pumpkin, in fact. 

While I am sure I could find some recipes online for what I have in mind, where's the fun in that?  :hell:

Tonight I finally gave making "true" hard-candied chiles a try. I've followed RichardK's method in the past, but was dissatisfied with the results - I wanted the candied pods to show off their pretty color. So this was a bit messy, but I got the color I was looking for. And YUMMY aji cristals are one of the best pods to candy.

P1020039.JPG

Just LOOK at that color! :D

geeme said:
Tonight I finally gave making "true" hard-candied chiles a try. I've followed RichardK's method in the past, but was dissatisfied with the results - I wanted the candied pods to show off their pretty color. So this was a bit messy, but I got the color I was looking for. And YUMMY aji cristals are one of the best pods to candy.

P1020039.JPG

Just LOOK at that color! :D
WOW gimme those look FANTASTIC!!! :) do they set up like hard candy what's the texture like when you chomp on them? :) to cool never thought about doing that!!!!

Good stuff going on in here. G, I think you dominate the field with your pork tenderloins. Every one I have seen has been fantastic!

Thanks guys!

oldsalty said:
WOW gimme those look FANTASTIC!!! :) do they set up like hard candy what's the texture like when you chomp on them? :) to cool never thought about doing that!!!!
Yes, they set up like hard candy as long as you get them to the right temp for it. That's 300-310F or 149-154C. When you chew them, they are mostly crunchy but the pods inside remain a tad soft (this much depends on how thick- or thin-walled your pods are.)

dragonsfire said:
Look great! did you just dip them?
No, the pods are cooked in the sugar. I started by dissolving the sugar (with a bit of water and lime juice) over medium-low heat. Once the sugar is dissolved I add in the pods then bring the mixture up to the required temp range for the desired finished consistency. Here's a link to a good temperature chart for candying.

Spoon push.... haha remember that from a TD? Caused so much drama........ a spoon push of sauce.

I don't know what's going on top how about seared scallops or pork medallions..... close?

LOL. As an old Econ professor used to say: close, but no banana. It is something you've claimed in the past is one of your favorites, though. Just not on top.

Damn I dunno I say that about fried catfish sometimes............

The "sauce" spent the night with some cut up pork shoulder. Now they're going to get really intimate in the slow cooker today.

P1020063.JPG

Sorry, no 'naner leaves!

Sorry for the crappy pics, but first up has sunlight, second doesn't (and, of course, no add'l lighting.)

Pork done; it's cochinita pibil-style, as I took some liberties with the seasonings.
P1020064.JPG

That will sit until I've got more to feed than just myself. Still, had to try some for myself. Not the traditional way to serve this, but one of my favs, with the yolks still smooth like gravy.
P1020066.JPG

And, btw, fried catfish is on my list of favs, too!

Looks good... make some sammies and tacos.

A big burrito with avocado and black beans.

Back