• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cull baby peppers or not

My mature pepper plants from last year's garden, that have been growing in pots indoors all winter, had a young crop of baby peppers prior to me transplanting them outdoors last week. The habaneros are between the size of a pea and a small cherry and most of them are orange. Are they going to continue growing in size if they are already orange or are they stunted and should I remove them from the plant to make room for fresh buds?

Attachments

• 20200503_175635.jpg
    20200503_175635.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 90
Agreed with above, I am slightly confused what you were asking but I would pick all ripe peppers off that plant and then check for bugs, aphids specifically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peppergator said:
Agreed with above, I am slightly confused what you were asking but I would pick all ripe peppers off that plant and then check for bugs, aphids specifically.

Was asking if these peppers were stunted and wouldn't grow thus using plenty resources or if they would mature meaning I should leave them be. I will pull them tomorrow.

cmwr said:
Was asking if these peppers were stunted and wouldn't grow thus using plenty resources or if they would mature meaning I should leave them be. I will pull them tomorrow.
[emoji106] Once fruit starts to ripen they will not truly grow in size. If your worried about available nutrients those peppers are good to be picked. Those Habaneros look hot and tasty! I’m sure others can give more advice moving forward but I would be looking into addressing the leaf drop and stem die off next.

cmwr said:

Keep us updated if it helps! And some help on the sideways pix:

It is the stored EXIF Data that causes this.

Even if you don't have an iPhone (And this article talks about email orientation.), this is helpful, Why iPhone pictures flip when emailed, and how to fix it and LifeWire-How to Fix a Digital Photo Turned Sideways(Rotate pictures that display sideways online)

Our intrepid leader posted this helpful hint.

The Hot Pepper said:
If you edit the pic before uploading it will upload correctly. Editing it "saves" the orientation instead of using native, which would be the way you held the phone. Really it is uploading correctly, but other sites like FB have better software that read the orientation EXIF.
iphone
Why iPhone pictures flip when emailed, and how to fix it

LifeWire-How to Fix a Digital Photo Turned Sideways(Rotate pictures that display sideways online)

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Keep us updated if it helps! And some help on the sideways pix:

It is the stored EXIF Data that causes this.

Even if you don't have an iPhone (And this article talks about email orientation.), this is helpful, Why iPhone pictures flip when emailed, and how to fix it and LifeWire-How to Fix a Digital Photo Turned Sideways(Rotate pictures that display sideways online)

Our intrepid leader posted this helpful hint.

iphone
Why iPhone pictures flip when emailed, and how to fix it

LifeWire-How to Fix a Digital Photo Turned Sideways(Rotate pictures that display sideways online)
Thank you

You could do either, and probably have no effect, whatsoever. The idea of plucking fruit, and redirecting resources, is a gross oversimplification. Pepper plants don't have phases; they grow vegetatively, and bear fruit, simultaneously. Focus on keeping the plant healthy, and growing optimally, and less about "resource influencing". If the fruit is stunted, or seems to be stalled, the process has already executed. You might be able to influence the onset of new flowers by culling - but don't expect a major event to take place. (growth or flowering)

solid7 said:
You could do either, and probably have no effect, whatsoever. The idea of plucking fruit, and redirecting resources, is a gross oversimplification. Pepper plants don't have phases; they grow vegetatively, and bear fruit, simultaneously. Focus on keeping the plant healthy, and growing optimally, and less about "resource influencing". If the fruit is stunted, or seems to be stalled, the process has already executed. You might be able to influence the onset of new flowers by culling - but don't expect a major event to take place. (growth or flowering)

Do you have any info on that? Fruit seems like it stunts the plant, but perhaps that's not the case.

Dulac said:
Do you have any info on that? Fruit seems like it stunts the plant, but perhaps that's not the case.
What part specifically do you doubt, and how deep into the subject do you want to go? Do you want anecdotal internet evidence, or do you want to subscribe to research gate? (It's a huge subject that requires one to take the long road)
Wanna nerd out?

solid7 said:
What part specifically do you doubt, and how deep into the subject do you want to go? Do you want anecdotal internet evidence, or do you want to subscribe to research gate? (It's a huge subject that requires one to take the long road)
Wanna nerd out?
I don't wanna nerd out but I picked one of these that were about the size of a gooseberry and popped it in my mouth and it about killed me. It was hot as hell but very very delicious. I can deal with the heat in my mouth but the part that about makes me fall over is the heat at the bottom of my esophagus right in my sternum. I got the hiccups and didn't even want to take a drink until I knew I was done with the hiccups LOL.

sinensis said:
i do, but plant biology is a huge field, and i never know where to start.
i've got libgen and scihub though.
That's true, and it relies alot on being able to discern between use cases.

This is why I always tell people to do side by side grows. Very few people who are not researchers, or consumers of white papers, know how to accurately disseminate the info presented. I can show a study about a topic, and the average person will take it at face value - often, having never made it past the abstract. Research often prompts as many questions as it answers, because research requires specific context. It's rarely, if ever, a one size fits all affair.
So, it's not easy to just give an internet link, and say, "see here".

solid7 said:
That's true, and it relies alot on being able to discern between use cases.

This is why I always tell people to do side by side grows. Very few people who are not researchers, or consumers of white papers, know how to accurately disseminate the info presented. I can show a study about a topic, and the average person will take it at face value - often, having never made it past the abstract. Research often prompts as many questions as it answers, because research requires specific context. It's rarely, if ever, a one size fits all affair.
So, it's not easy to just give an internet link, and say, "see here".
Lol wtf does this even mean?

boutros said:
Lol wtf does this even mean?
It means that if you didn't pass your cosmetology courses down at community college, you'd be wasting both of our time to ask for a deep discussion. If you're looking for an easy to digest article that answers all your questions in one read, then you'll get there same kind of bullshit that you can get by talking to the dude at the growshop.
Full disclosure - I'm a little drunk, too

Back