• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Culling Carnage

I had to do it. It's been too hot here to keep up with watering the rootbound plants I was saving "just in case" something happened to my other plants. I'll be out of town for several days soon and my neighbor will water for me. I need to make it less of a chore for her.

I cut down several greeks, wax, and one each of my hotter and more unusual varieties. Also killed off one of my overwintered jalapenos and I may do another one.

culling.jpg

Here's what I saved. More small jalapenos and wax on the bottom. Couple of the habs were from plants I kept.

cullHarvest.jpg

Made green salsa yesterday and BF thinks it's pretty good for my first try. :D

c.

peppermanbaha said:
the horror. what types of habs r they.

The ripe ones are 2 reds and an orange. Hard to tell the color difference until they're completely ripe. The green ones were from a red hab. I kept the best two plants of each.

Silver_Surfer said:
The horror, the horror!! Ever think of installing an automatic drip system?

As a matter of fact, I was at Lowes the other day and happened across these micro drip systems. I'm gonna get the basic kit and see if I can get it going on a gravity/rainbarrel system. Won't have time to do it 'til I get back from our housesitting vacation.

Satch said:
A moment of silence will be observed.

I'd like to say they lived a full and productive life, but it's more a case of survival of the fittest specimens.

c.

Why dont you just buy a kiddie pool, put your pots in it, and keep more water in it? Oh and a white sheet as a shade cloth!:cool:

OK, tell me to shut up and I don't know what I'm talkin' 'bout...
:oops:

joeknowsjolokia said:
Why dont you just buy a kiddie pool, put your pots in it, and keep more water in it? Oh and a white sheet as a shade cloth!:cool:

OK, tell me to shut up and I don't know what I'm talkin' 'bout...
:oops:

Actually I was thinking the same thing the other day. Right now I'm keeping the small ones in (4) shallow totes so the water doesn't get away as easy. I have 3 larger ones in a wheelbarrow. The flaw in the plan is what happens when it rains real hard or for a log time - they get more water than they need and sit in it for - however long it takes. The totes do have drain plugs and I should drill overflow holes for them so it doesn't get too deep.
I don't think I want to go all out kiddie pool though. They would have to stay on the ground and there'd probably be infighting about who gets to stay in the deep end.

caroltlw said:
Actually I was thinking the same thing the other day. Right now I'm keeping the small ones in (4) shallow totes so the water doesn't get away as easy. I have 3 larger ones in a wheelbarrow. The flaw in the plan is what happens when it rains real hard or for a log time - they get more water than they need and sit in it for - however long it takes. The totes do have drain plugs and I should drill overflow holes for them so it doesn't get too deep.
I don't think I want to go all out kiddie pool though. They would have to stay on the ground and there'd probably be infighting about who gets to stay in the deep end.

There has to be away, let me think about it.;)

Back