• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Curious, is it worth it?

I have eaten many foods well past the use by or best by date, sometimes 2 years past and they didn't have much if any vinegar or lemon juice in them. 

I have a bottle of Gronk's hot sauce in the pantry and it has a use by date of 9/25/2017, it is unopened. I used to buy it but have moved on to much hotter sauces that I make so that bottle just sat in the pantry. It is an interior room, no sun light, pretty steady temperature throughout the year. I liked the flavor so I was thinking about cooking up a couple of Super Hots in a small amount of vinegar and mixing it into the Gronk's sauce to make it hot.  

Good idea or not worth the risk?

First Tom, I think you might have gotten more response in the Hot Peppers forums.

You could simply cut slivers of your hot peppers and immerse them in the Gronks, shake it up and wait for a week or two. That heat would definitely distribute, with little modification to the flavor profile...

...just a thought.

stettoman said:
First Tom, I think you might have gotten more response in the Hot Peppers forums.

You could simply cut slivers of your hot peppers and immerse them in the Gronks, shake it up and wait for a week or two. That heat would definitely distribute, with little modification to the flavor profile...

...just a thought.

Thanks. I looked at all the various forums and thought this might be the best one. I usually come here in August or September to buy peppers I didn't grow or for advice so I am not all that familiar with this site but I do like it for the expertise here. 

Honestly, based upon that date I am more tempted to toss it but seeing how it has a lot of vinegar and is commercially bottled and adheres to "business" standards re bottling, I was curious if there was an strong consensus one way or the other.  

tjg911 said:
I have eaten many foods well past the use by or best by date, sometimes 2 years past and they didn't have much if any vinegar or lemon juice in them. 

I have a bottle of Gronk's hot sauce in the pantry and it has a use by date of 9/25/2017, it is unopened. I used to buy it but have moved on to much hotter sauces that I make so that bottle just sat in the pantry. It is an interior room, no sun light, pretty steady temperature throughout the year. I liked the flavor so I was thinking about cooking up a couple of Super Hots in a small amount of vinegar and mixing it into the Gronk's sauce to make it hot.  

Good idea or not worth the risk?

Do they even still make this stuff, lol. I've never had it, but it looks like just a hab sauce - nothing special.

I'd look at it's value to someone else! There's LOTS of hot sauce collectors out there (several right here on THP). I mean, we're talking about THE Gronk(owski) right? One of the best there's ever been, then and now! Maybe some starstruck collector in Florida just HAS to have it! New England, not so much.

Then, you can take that cash and buy a hotter sauce or two for yourself!

Just a thought. :seeya:

Yes it is the Gronk, his picture is on the label. I need to stop buying hot sauces, I make my own and they are a lot hotter than what is in the stores except any of the Dave's, those are crazy hot, no flavor just heat.

Back