CURIOUS !

was just curious has any of my fellow chili brothers / sisters , drilled holes in / around sides of a  5 gallon bucket for air flow ? curious as to outcome positive or negative or no difference .  oh by the way i'm bee bopping in and out waiting on our guests / kids  to arrive for a cookout . but definatley enjoying the weather ! thanks for your answers and have a great weekend !  

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I have near the bottom on the sides for draining but nothing other than that...weather is amazing here as well which brings me to I need to get back outside :0 
yes absolutely gorgeous out ! yeah i have them along the bottom also , but was just a wondering around the sides maybe 1/4 inch holes sporadically would have any impact via good or bad . might give one a try . 

meinchoh said:
You'll be pruning roots, growing out of the sides!!
yes but does it aid with growth ? definitely aid with air flow . 
hogleg said:
I think member DawgNutts did something like that, had pics and everything. I can't seem to find it though.
if you find it let know ,if you would please . wanna give it a try . 

Will it help? I don't see how...Wouldn't it serve the same purpose as a hole on the bottom - drainage? Located on the bottom of the pot or the side, what is the difference? Your perlite should give you adequate aeration, I would think.

Heres what the pot looks like that I use.
Dude at the garden store says its all he uses. He showed me massive rootball pics.

meinchoh said:
Will it help? I don't see how...Wouldn't it serve the same purpose as a hole on the bottom - drainage? Located on the bottom of the pot or the side, what is the difference? Your perlite should give you adequate aeration, I would think.

Bigger rootball makes a bigger and healthier plant. The only downfall to air pots is that you have to water them more often

moruga welder said:
have never tried the air pots , do you see much more benefit with those ?
Try google ssearching (Air Pot roots) The results speak for themselves. Im not saying you cant get nice healthy roots and plants without using an Air Pot. Try doing a comparison or something.

megahot said:
Try google ssearching (Air Pot roots) The results speak for themselves. Im not saying you cant get nice healthy roots and plants without using an Air Pot. Try doing a comparison or something.
gonna try a few , thanks ! :onfire:

Jon, I understand the benefits of going with an air pot system but Frank was asking about punching holes in the sides of his existing buckets...

meinchoh said:
Jon, I understand the benefits of going with an air pot system but Frank was asking about punching holes in the sides of his existing buckets...

Wouldn't it be basically the same thing in theory then if he drills enough holes in the side as the air pot? If it is the same then the benefits would be the same, no? I have just tried this on five buckets for some peppers so I will be able to report about my individual results later, but at this point they are very healthy looking and starting to surpass the plants in my garden which were planted a month prior.

This would definitely be an interesting project to try out.MEGAHOTS air pot looks interesting.Was wondering how much those cost?and I believe Frank has a nice idea on achieving the same results as the air pot,with what would appear to be substantial savings.Student of spice I would love to know how these work out.

I am currently trying this method. I have several 5-7 gallon buckets and have holes carved out in some. I layered the inside with burlap to hold in soil. They seem to be doing better but a little too early to tell as its only been 2 weeks

mpicante said:
This would definitely be an interesting project to try out.MEGAHOTS air pot looks interesting.Was wondering how much those cost?and I believe Frank has a nice idea on achieving the same results as the air pot,with what would appear to be substantial savings.Student of spice I would love to know how these work out.
This should help.
https://www.bwgs.com/Category/SubCatBrand/90?brand=Root%20Routing%20Pot
or ebay/amazon search ( Root Routing Pot )

Back