• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Curled leaves , yellow leaves , No leaves !! Help !! pics inside

So I've had my plants outside about a week now and I know I messed up by not hardening them long enough but some of my plants are looking hurt wondering if you guys can help me out and take a look at my pics of some of my plants and let know what you think I can do to help them or if its in real trouble ...

Jays red ghost scorpion , leaves look really wrinkled poor thing been looking misreable in this hot weather last three day
D0008C45-1E88-43B0-B27F-275B2BCC5983-752-00000043B7006B1B_zpsc725b9b8.jpg

Bhut jolokia , yellowing leaves , some sun scorch , victim I think of me giving it to much sun to soon
C4FB6F3B-F522-44DB-A22B-3E4D81AB2E5F-752-00000043BCF01D6E_zps43f45059.jpg

Moruga scorpion , poor thing just looks misreable curled leaves and very wrinkly
E58A0C8A-783E-4A17-9A0B-585E2EC765B0-752-00000043C2010351_zps1e2b0fe0.jpg

7 pot primo , I'd be surprised if it survives .. I fried this poor thing , some leaves fell others I clipped cause of the bad burn it got , will it survive with the way it looks here ??
85DD3CB8-904E-4A61-811E-61B8BDB429EF-752-00000043FB15922F_zpsae36239d.jpg

ButchT/Jonah hybrid , had a lil fert burn in the 4" pot , seems to be doing ok since moving into bigger pot
090F741E-03F1-4FD9-8712-F835024D0B60-752-00000043CD83D717_zps10f22c6c.jpg

Chocolate scorpion , this thing has leaves that are super curled up , but it's still growing quite well ???
6E5AC013-07B6-471C-9713-B4CE03F65DFA-752-00000043D22EE828_zpsb38ff595.jpg

Brain strain , doesn't seem to be doing to bad , hoping it grows more leaves and gets stronger in next couple of weeks
F818D474-5852-4636-A115-FF7CA739D3CF-752-00000043D71522CA_zps78ba58d5.jpg

Jays Peach ghost scorpion , leaves are a little yellow , but seems to be doing well , I'm really hoping this one makes it , really looking forward to trying these !
E948141B-53BE-4735-A487-37FB5F527395-752-00000043DC5A6976_zps9e65566e.jpg

????? Mystery plant !!! - my son got this at a hot sauce festival . I have no idea what it is or if it's even a pepper plant LOL , IF YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS PLEASE DO TELL ME :p
8D4FA999-D56E-41D0-A087-894F794858CF-752-00000043E11A2868_zpsb0f39a43.jpg

Purple jalapeño , it has 2 small flowers setting fruit , should I leave it be or should I pinch those off now ???
C2118FB8-756D-4D81-972E-2FABD10C4BCB-752-00000043E5D700C4_zpsca142b4c.jpg

Douglah - seems to be doing good ,
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/redrum801/5E786C08-9F4A-46C6-B3B7-29CADEA88F77-752-00000043EB0AC353_zps42be6124.jpg

Carolina reaper - best looking plant I have so far !!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/redrum801/0D9B8116-D12C-4813-AF11-DD93D675D375-752-00000043F6776011_zps5d8f92dd.jpg

So what do you guys think ???? Please any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!! N

Carlos .

I also have these wrinkled and curled leaves ...
i don't know what is causing it :(

Hope the experts can help us on this subject.
I'll follow this thread.

Those leaves are displaying the classic signs of the first stage of fertilizer burn. Flush the soil well with water - let the water run out of the pots freely. Don't fertilize for a couple of the next waterings. When you do begin to fertilize again, only do about 1/4 the amount you've been doing. The old leaves probably won't return to normal, but the new growth coming in should be fine. 

Also, let us know how much you've been fertilizing. Plants, that young especially, do not require fertilizer every watering, but those of us who do use this approach only use about 1/4 the amount on the instructions - if the instructions say 1 tsp. per gallon, we use 1/4 tsp. per gallon. If you're going to fertilize, say, every 3rd watering, you can use the full 1 tsp. per gallon.

@geeme there potted in miracle gro potting mix ( only soil i could find locally ) with some extra perlite mixed in . I have foliage fed them cal-mag plus and I did a couple of times neptunes harvest 2-3-1 foliar both at 1/4 strength in a1 liter spray bottle . I guess the miracle gro soil had more fert than i thought it did . I'll flush them like you said once I let the soil dry up a bit . ( just remembered I feed them once a tablespoon of neptunes harvest in a gallon of water during 1 watering )

@thegreenman I'm trying to I don't have much shade on my back porch so I've been rotating them into the area that does . I work 12-9pm so they've gotten more sun then I've liked especially since its been close to 90 the last three days .

Summer heat and sun make the plants far more sensitive to over-fertilizing. A plant that is doing fine indoors or under shade can go into severe shock when placed outdoors. Get some shade cloth and rig up a protected area for your plants.

You're definitely over-doing the fertilizer. Skip the Cal-Mag for now - it's not needed until they start into production mode. My approach is to use a starter mix first - this stimulates root growth. I use that both for new plants once they get old enough to handle fertilizer of any kind, and also for plants that are first being put into the ground or repotted. After a couple feedings of that, I switch to a mix that promotes stem and foliage growth. Once the plants kick into production, I pretty much exclusively use Cal-Mag.

Redrum801 said:
@geeme there potted in miracle gro potting mix ( only soil i could find locally ) with some extra perlite mixed in . I have foliage fed them cal-mag plus and I did a couple of times neptunes harvest 2-3-1 foliar both at 1/4 strength in a1 liter spray bottle . I guess the miracle gro soil had more fert than i thought it did . I'll flush them like you said once I let the soil dry up a bit . ( just remembered I feed them once a tablespoon of neptunes harvest in a gallon of water during 1 watering )

@thegreenman I'm trying to I don't have much shade on my back porch so I've been rotating them into the area that does . I work 12-9pm so they've gotten more sun then I've liked especially since its been close to 90 the last three days .
get a sunsail, shadecloth, beach umbrella, whatever, just give them shade asap from 9 am to 5 pm.  

I never use any soil that has ferts in it. You can't tell exactly how much is in there or the quality. Pepper nutrients are pretty easy, if you dont want to do a lot of work just use Dynamite for vegetables and leave them alone. I grow all my plants with a similar commercial fertilizer and have not had any nutrient related problems, even on plants that are 12-16 months old. 

I'd second Greeme's remedy, definitely looks like over fertilization.  Anytime you see yellowing edges that are curling up, it's usually potassium related which is also the easiest to lock up and usually indicates nutrient excess.

Most bagged potting soil has ferts in it of one sort or another, but that in and of itself is not actually an issue. Some people on this site diss Miracle Gro, but I've used it plenty of times and it's fine as long as you're cognizant of everything - and my plants usually are lush and green and very good producers. IMO there's not enough fertilizer in bagged potting soil for it to be a problem unless you are over-doing your additions to what is there.

Thanks for the help and advice , I'll just be leaving them alone from now on and let Mother Nature takes its course . I've pulled the majority of them into the shade and this weekend I'll give them all a good soaking to try to flush the extra fert out . No neptunes harvest and no cal-mag for the next 3-4 weeks and ill see what's going on from there . Once again Thanks guys I really appreciate it :)

I got another couple of questions , I know I'm behind the 8 ball as far as how far along my plants should be . I topped of my reaper , Douglah and chocolate scorpion and new growth came really quick on those .

Should I be doing that on my other plants ??

Or should I just leave them alone since their so small compared to the three I just mentioned ??

My jalapeño is already bearing fruit from the 2 flowers that were on it , is this a good thing or should be taking those off considering its not all that big ??

Thanks again in advance for your replys !! Carlos

Jalapeno plants aren't very big even when they're full-grown, so you cannot compare their size to a douglah or scorpion at all. Even my overwintered jalapenos never got more than 2ft. tall, while my douglah in its 3rd year is now almost as tall as I am. But while you can't honestly do a size comparison across varieties, you can think of them by age. From the above pics, it appears you started your plants late - they're still very young for this time of season, and in general, they're all small. If you only have one or two blooms or pods, I'd suggest picking them, to allow the plant to focus on stem and leaf production. The plants will get to a point they start putting out buds and flowering so fast you won't want to bother any more, and at that point it's pretty safe to just let them do their thing. 

Geeme thanks I think I'll do that and pinch off the flowers and little pods when I get home tonight off the jalapeño , what do you think about my 7 pot primo should I leave it as is or top it off ?? , it looks so hurt right now lol

I don't top off my plants. The theory behind topping off is that pods are only produced at the nodes - the points where branches split from each other - and so topping off makes the plant split and grow new branches at the point of top off, thereby creating more areas where pods can be produced. There's likely some truth to that, but I'm not convinced you get significantly more pods per plant when you do that - Some? Yes. A lot? Probably not. There are people here who will likely disagree with me, and that's fine - I'm still not going to top off my plants, as I get enough pods for my needs without doing so. 

That said, I'm thinking that if you do want to top off, your plants still look pretty tiny for that, and yes, definitely need some recovery from what is going on right now. I'd recommend not topping off until you see signs of recovery happening - new leaves coming in green and such.

Thanks for the advice geeme , I did top off my reaper , Douglah , chocolate scorpion and recently the ButchT/Jonah hybrid and new growth came in really quick but I think your right the other plants are to young to be messed with . I keep telling myself to leave them all the hell alone but I can't help myself lol . Bought one of those cheap ph/moisture/light meters and I think I'll be using it to make sure I don't overwater them and other than that I won't be touching them at all for the next month ( I'm hoping anyway , can't make no promises :p ) . Thanks again for the help and advice , Carlos

One more quick question almost all of my plants tested around 6-6.5 for ph . But I had 2 , can't remember which 2 off the bat that measured around 5 is that ok ? I know these meters aren't as reliable as test strips but don't have time to go look for them right now so I'll be using these in the mean time .

Funny you say that I was bored and decided to check the ph in some tap water I have in the Watering can that I set aside the night before here's a pic
7284c50c3118d3b739b53b2a9c5b0ba9_zps67615322.jpg

Then I switched it to moisture while it was still in the cup , do these meters only check for moisture in soil or is thing DOA ? Lol
f8959d9d50571fbafeb68c918898c25b_zpsdc822176.jpg

As you can see its sitting in the cup and moisture is only a little past half , which by the instructions on the box it came in says no need to water so I don't know ...

By the way that's some some heartbreaking dawns BBQ rub in the pic goes great on some beer can chicken :p

Back