• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Curly leaf Habanero

All of my habanero plants are experiencing leaf curl. All of the upper leaves are curling and I can't figure out why...Okay, so I have gotten over the hurdle of my yellowing leaves on the plants that were infected (mostly my Hungarians and mariachis). Now I seem to be trading problems with another. I thoroughly and methodically checked and rechecked all of my habanero plants (they are the only ones curling) and can not find any insect or pest indications. So, naturally I started checking all of my plants. Glad to say...No insects, unless they are no see em's...LOL

Here are a couple of pictures of a typical habanaro plant with the problem. Again, they are all in 16 oz plastic cups with drain holes. Planted in Pro-Mix BX and are primarily bottom feed. The lights are about 1 inch from the plants and the room temp fluctuates between 73 degrees to rarely a high of 84 degrees. Average temp is around 78-81 degrees.
Thanks for helping...

DSCF2361.jpg

DSCF2362.jpg

If these were some of the ones that were flushed after being fertilized, I would hazard a guess that it's physiological leaf curl, and nothing to worry about.

"Physiological leaf roll occurs during wet weather or when transplants are first placed outside. Typically, the leaves roll upward, at first appearing cupped but eventually rolling continues until the leaflets overlap. Overall growth of the tomato is usually not affected. Fruit are not injured by this condition."

Happens to peppers, too. Just keep your eyes peeled for aphids or thrips, they can make leaves curl, too.

Thanks Pam, I just got back from peering over all of the leaves with a magnifying glass. So far no evidence of bugs. With AJ's picture of the trenches in the leaves and great photos of aphids, I think I know what to look for.

This has been going on for about a week now. I keep waiting for something to happen. But so far not much...Maybe more pronounced curl. Maybe, I'm just over-reacting.

My chocolate cherry was doing that during a fast growth spurt under CFL light. I just thought it was the heat from being so close to the bulb.
Thanks Pam

ABurningMouth said:
My chocolate cherry was doing that during a fast growth spurt under CFL light. I just thought it was the heat from being so close to the bulb.
Thanks Pam

Did the plant eventually uncurl? Did you do anything different?

pepperfreak
saying in the yoda voice again "we cannot teach him the boy has no patience" :lol: then the obi wan voices kicks in "he will learn patience" :lol: j/k hey im a newbie but to me your plants look great

HotPeppersFlyFishing said:
pepperfreak
saying in the yoda voice again "we cannot teach him the boy has no patience" :lol: then the obi wan voices kicks in "he will learn patience" :lol: j/k hey im a newbie but to me your plants look great

Thanks HPFF...And you are right. This new hobby, obsession or whatever one might call it is teaching me patients...LOL

I have a few C. chinenses with the same leaf curl and I don't worry about it much, just watch my watering a little closer.

Thanks and cool. They just didn't do it before is all. This is all new and sometimes I tend to think the worst when there are changes that I wasn't expecting. BTW, I am taking notes so hopefully, next year, I won't be asking the same questions...LOL

I'm sure it was a ph or fert problem cause I have no idea what the levels are or were.
Or ec or any of that.
I try to always use filtered water and 1/20 strength (estimated) ferts for plants in the growroom.
I switched to all red and blue led panel lights that might have helped too.
I'm such a noob.

Back