• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

Hi All,...new to the forum and just thought I'd post this recipe for a new soup that I came up with this fall....It's a twist on a pumpkin soup recipe, but I like the flavor and texture of the butternut squash better....

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

1 large or 2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into small squares
1 large or 2 small onions, peeled and diced
1 stick of salted butter (about 1/4-1/2 cup of butter, gee,or oil)

Melt butter in large metal bowl over medium heat, add butternut squash and onion and cook over med-high heat until onions are translucent and squash seems to soften.

Add to the squash/onion mixture approx...1-2 Tbs Curry Powder (or to taste), 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder (or to taste), 1/4 - 1/2 tsp White Pepper powder, 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste), 2 or more dried hot chillies (I use a dried Thai variety of chili pepper that I got from a friend, but any extremely hot variety will do)...stir to combine spices and cook for approx. 1-2 minutes.

Add enough broth (chicken or vegetable, whatever you prefer) to cover the squash/onion mixture...turn heat up to a vigorous simmer (not a full boil) and cook until the squash is very soft (about 10-15 min).

Meanwhile peel, core and dice 2-3 sweet apples and add to the hot soup (use the sweet varieties such as mackintosh or red delicious, not tart apples like the green ones) or you can add 1-2 cups apple cider.

Once the squash is soft, remove the soup from the heat and transfer to a blender (or use a hand blender, its easier) and puree until smooth. Add approx. 1 cup of heavy cream or plain yogurt and blend until smooth and silky.

Serve warm.:cheers:

Sounds good! Do you think it would be better to bake the squash with the butter and spices instead of sauteing?

Sounds pretty good.

I might just have to make up some one evening when it's cold and blustery outside (which is just about every day this time of year in my end of the world)

thehotpepper.com said:
Sounds good! Do you think it would be better to bake the squash with the butter and spices instead of sauteing?

I'll have to try it next time,....baking would probably deepen the flavor of the squash, and caramelize the onions....hmmm, good suggestion!

AKButch said:
Sounds pretty good.

I might just have to make up some one evening when it's cold and blustery outside (which is just about every day this time of year in my end of the world)

It's a really great soup for cold weather,....it'll go well up in your neck of the woods!

Back