• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Curry Thread

Didn't see a dedicated one so created one :)

Been having a curry craving for a while so managed it a couple days ago.

-500gr Dried beans soaked 4 hours
-PC cooked for 20min (till soft)
-Spice mix- 60gr Coconut organic
                  1 tbsp Cumin
                  2 tbsp Turmeric
                  1 tbsp seasoning mix
                  1 tbsp org Coriander powder
                  1 tbsp Whole cardamon
                  1 cup Chines Cayenne (in this case)
                  1/2 tsp salt (to taste)

-Blitz mix and then add to chickpeas in pot, rise cooker in this case. Boil for 20min, add 1/2cup raisins (optional) and simmer another 30 min.
The raisins adds a nice body of slight sweetness to the mix.

I jarred 1.5L for later consumption :)

P1100968_CurryChickpeas-1000_zpsqm8lgcmf.jpg

P1100969_CurryChickpeas-1000_zpsjsxfqm6b.jpg

P1100970_CurryChickpeas-1000_zps27hksvtf.jpg

P1100971_CurryChickpeas-1000_zpsmcziaeea.jpg

P1100972_CurryChickpeas-1000_zpsxpeqvnyd.jpg

Carrot Marsala Curry.

Brown rice
Shredded coconut
Cashews
Chicken Stock
Store Bought Curry mix.
Miso
Dragonroll peppers.

Dint taste the curry mix powder, big mistake, was way hotter then expected so this was above my comfort tolerance so munching on raisins to kill the heat.
Packed the rest to be diluted in the next meals.

ol85xle.jpg

JLjZDt8.jpg

Looks killer, I love me some curry spiced to make the endorphins kick in, it's a buzz few understand.

I was home alone last night and cooked a skin on pork shank curry, I loaded it with pepper paste, Aleppo flakes about 4 tablespoons of curry and a little Garam Marsala. I browned the meat a while then added onions, seasoning and water to simmer for 2 hours and added coconut cream then simmered till it got thick and the pork skin was so tender it melted in your mouth.

It's unbelievable how awesome this brown babyshit colored gravy is! :drooling:  So thick it sticks to everything and the Noods loved it! :rofl:

100_57891.JPG

100_57921.JPG

Attachments

• 100_57931.JPG
    100_57931.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 76
Skin on pork is soooooo good and surprisingly has health benefits also. When i cant find good looking leaner pork side/belly i get the sliced skin on shanks. They are cheaper and almost always available at our markets.

What i do with belly/side is put it skin side down in a pan first with some oil. Lightly brown it a few minutes. It wont really get browned though. Then add enough COLD water to cover. Bring to a boil for a few minutes and drain it. Allow it to cool and use however you want. This gets rid of some of the "funky", hair, fat  and also makes it easier to cut.

"Trinidad" Dhal Puri & Chicken Curry...with some T&T Kuchela (Mango chutney)...this puri takes a lot of prep
so I do it in 2 steps...the spicy split peas filling(lots of wiri wiri) made yesterday & finished today..curry ..well easy!
Some of the most delicious food comes from T&T...I really enjoy their cuisine,& furthermore,some of the
nicest/friendliest people I've ever met...their most popular snack is called "DOUBLES"...have to make that!
EED2b5m.jpg

Trinidad is known as the land of the hummingbird ..here's a couple of rare ones...I love hummingbirds..the males have just arrived at our
place...females to follow soon...as the weather warms up. ;)
HB_web_0007_Tufted-Coquette-.png

HB_web_0006_Ruby-Topaz-.png

Tandoori Turkey Breast.

Cheated and bought a jar :(

Tandoori paste, Tomatoes, Peanut butter, Ring of Fire peppers, Chipotle and another pepper I forgot the name.
Turkey marinated in Ring of Fire peppers before.
Served on Caraway bread and Gruyere. 

Slow cooked.

APWmk5U.jpg

fAWbiNZ.jpg

C925Fdb.jpg

wiriwiri said:
"Trinidad" Dhal Puri & Chicken Curry...with some T&T Kuchela (Mango chutney)...this puri takes a lot of prep
so I do it in 2 steps...the spicy split peas filling(lots of wiri wiri) made yesterday & finished today..curry ..well easy!
Some of the most delicious food comes from T&T...I really enjoy their cuisine,& furthermore,some of the
nicest/friendliest people I've ever met...their most popular snack is called "DOUBLES"...have to make that!

Trinidad is known as the land of the hummingbird ..here's a couple of rare ones...I love hummingbirds..the males have just arrived at our
place...females to follow soon...as the weather warms up. ;)

wiriwiri, do you live in Trinidad? I lived there from 2010 to 2014 and spent many a day at Asa Wright photographing hummingbirds. Here are a couple of my shots.

7580003456_3e1e73d933_c.jpg

7580004052_358f06f878_c.jpg

Also a huge fan of roti and doubles. Used to have doubles every Sunday morning in Trinidad. There's a Trini restaurant not far from me on the West side of Houston where I can still get all this food and we hit it now and then to refresh the memory. I was eating doubles last Saturday!

And to go a bit back on topic, we cook a lot of curry at home and the latest experimentation has been to try and make our own curry powder. My absolute favourite is Aachi brand Roasted Jaffna curry powder and the only place I have seen it for sale is in California. My sister used to buy it for me and bring bottles over every time she came to visit but now it has been out of stock for a year, unavailable online and we're almost out. So I've been experimenting trying to make my own. Here's the most recent attempt:
50813358313_cddeb2cec3_c.jpg

All the spices were pan roasted then ground. This stuff tasted pretty good but not quite perfect. It's proving to be quite the challenge and I'm guessing it's going to take a lot of experimentation to get it right.

Siv said:

wiriwiri, do you live in Trinidad? I lived there from 2010 to 2014 and spent many a day at Asa Wright photographing hummingbirds. Here are a couple of my shots.

7580003456_3e1e73d933_c.jpg

7580004052_358f06f878_c.jpg

Also a huge fan of roti and doubles. Used to have doubles every Sunday morning in Trinidad. There's a Trini restaurant not far from me on the West side of Houston where I can still get all this food and we hit it now and then to refresh the memory. I was eating doubles last Saturday!

And to go a bit back on topic, we cook a lot of curry at home and the latest experimentation has been to try and make our own curry powder. My absolute favourite is Aachi brand Roasted Jaffna curry powder and the only place I have seen it for sale is in California. My sister used to buy it for me and bring bottles over every time she came to visit but now it has been out of stock for a year, unavailable online and we're almost out. So I've been experimenting trying to make my own. Here's the most recent attempt:
50813358313_cddeb2cec3_c.jpg

All the spices were pan roasted then ground. This stuff tasted pretty good but not quite perfect. It's proving to be quite the challenge and I'm guessing it's going to take a lot of experimentation to get it right.
Unfortunately Siv I don't live there but have visited....love the Hummingbird photos...the colors of the Hbirds in T&T are  absolutely
beautiful...Met many people   when I worked in NYC & even here..as soon as they speak I can detect that Trini accent.
Trinidad is such a melting pot  so they have great food & music...pelau/black cake etc. etc.similar to Suriname/Guyana/and to a
lesser extent Jamaica...somehow their curries don't match my recipe!

Glad you can get takeaway near home..no such luck here..have to make everything @home..Make  a lot of dhalpuri & aloo roti along
with bara/phulourie etc with "mango sour". .Have all the gadgets...have to love  Indian food & it's so rich with ingredients that are healthy.
And so ideal if one is a vegetarian or not  ....the possibilities are endless...yum.

I use Lalah's curry powder sometimes I grind my own....I get a lot of my spices from the very popular /around the corner "Patel's"  grocery.
I buy online too so will keep an eye out for the one you want...if you have any Sri Lankan grocery stores  worth checking?the
brand Aachi is very popular and their curry powder has the Pandan leaves in it if I recall..never used it.(Pandan) in food.
I believe the CV19 has impacted so many items we  import along with the hoarding,so that may contribute to it not being avail.,

I visit many Trini food (& music) blogs  & as a foodie I'm  always checking them out.
BTW  are you familiar with Chutney music? I'll post a UT video when I start my '21 glog...music to grow by. ;)
lala-curry.jpg

;)

Reactions: Siv
wiriwiri said:
Unfortunately Siv I don't live there but have visited....love the Hummingbird photos...the colors of the Hbirds in T&T are  absolutely
beautiful...Met many people   when I worked in NYC & even here..as soon as they speak I can detect that Trini accent.
Trinidad is such a melting pot  so they have great food & music...pelau/black cake etc. etc.similar to Suriname/Guyana/and to a
lesser extent Jamaica...somehow their curries don't match my recipe!

Glad you can get takeaway near home..no such luck here..have to make everything @home..Make  a lot of dhalpuri & aloo roti along
with bara/phulourie etc with "mango sour". .Have all the gadgets...have to love  Indian food & it's so rich with ingredients that are healthy.
And so ideal if one is a vegetarian or not  ....the possibilities are endless...yum.

I use Lalah's curry powder sometimes I grind my own....I get a lot of my spices from the very popular /around the corner "Patel's"  grocery.
I buy online too so will keep an eye out for the one you want...if you have any Sri Lankan grocery stores  worth checking?the
brand Aachi is very popular and their curry powder has the Pandan leaves in it if I recall..never used it.(Pandan) in food.
I believe the CV19 has impacted so many items we  import along with the hoarding,so that may contribute to it not being avail.,

I visit many Trini food (& music) blogs  & as a foodie I'm  always checking them out.
BTW  are you familiar with Chutney music? I'll post a UT video when I start my '21 glog...music to grow by. ;)
lala-curry.jpg

;)

I'm more a fan of soca than chutney :)

My wife swears by this Sun Brand curry powder for making lentils and other mild curries:
71OUojqvHcL._SY445_.jpg

The Aachi one is interesting in that it is made in India but in the Jaffna Tamil style. It's the best I've ever found and although it has mild on the label, it's not lacking in chilli.
aachi_roastedjaffna_c.jpg

Pandan (called rampe in Sri Lanka) is a common ingredient in South East Asian cooking. From cakes to curries. A simple way to use it is to take a leaf, tie a couple knots in it and drop it in the rice cooker before you turn it on. Another is to wrap marinated chicken pieces in the leaf before grilling. Now that I have several plants, we're using it all the time in cooking. The leaf itself is inedible because it's very fibrous but gives a lovely flavour and fragrance to any dish it's added to. It's pretty easy to find fresh in Asian stores, particularly Thai or Vietnamese places.

I grew up in England and the British Indian curry is something that holds a special place in my heart. Surprisingly I have only recently learned that the curry houses use a base gravy to cook their food and now I've been making it in bulk for our own restaurant style curries. Once you've made it it will be enough for 2-3 meals for a family and it freezes well also so is a good thing to keep on hand. The base gravy is basically a spicy tomato soup.

Here's the recipe:

Sauce:

0.5 cup vegetable oil
1 onion
1 1/2 tbs ginger
3 tbs garlic
3 tbs tomato puree
1 kg tinned tomatoes (yeah fresh is better but tinned is fine)
6 green chillis

Spice blend:

1 tsp cumin powder (you can find this in Indian stores)
1 tsp coriander powder (you can find this in Indian stores)
2 tsp turmeric powder (you can find this in Indian stores)
2 tsp curry powder (any kind)
2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (or medium spice powder of your choice)
1 tsp garam massala (you can find this in Kroger or Indian stores)

Seriously, if you have never cooked Indian food before, fid a local Indian shop and buy some ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and garam masala - these are essentials in almost all Indian dishes.

Put the oil in a pot, add onions and fry for a minute, then add garlic and ginger and fry for 30 seconds, then add everything else, stir together, cover and cook on low heat for an hour. Once it's done, use a tick blender to puree it smooth. If you want a velvety curry, pass it through a fine mesh sieve. Once done you can add:

2 tsp kasoori methi (optional)
2 tsp salt

And jar it up. This is what's in my fridge right now:

51014843917_fc0c2e46e2_c.jpg

My kids favourite is butter chicken:

2 cups base gravy
1 tbs honey
1/4 stick of butter (40g or more)
2 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
cooked chicken (get a roast chicken from Kroger and strip the meat off the bones)

Bung together and cook for 20-30 minutes and you'll have a curry to die for...

Back