• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Cycling, burning out a chain and cassette in under 5 months

Is this normal? I pedal a mountain bike on pavement. I replaced the chain with a sram pc850 and a Shimano cs-hg51-8 on 15 July. I was cleared to ride at the end of July. Now my chain and cassette is super worn. So under 5 months. The entire bike gets 2 washes/degreased every week, every link individually lubed (tri-flow). Cranking out about 30-40 miles everyday. No matter what what components I use I am having to replace the cassette and chain every 5 months or so. Is anyone else experiencing this? Thanks in advance. Cheers!

30-40 miles every day for six months is a lot of mileage. I would say it's normal wear, even for riding on pavement.

You could try shortening the maintenance intervals on the drivetrain, a different lube, or a road bike chain, but even then the difference may be negligible. 

Good points. I'd say the same, mileage is about right and to measure your chain for stretch and replace before the stretch carves up your teeth to get a bit more time from the cassette.  If you're maintaining your drive train, which it sounds like you are, the only other thing that comes to mind is cross-chaining, but then you'd probably be wearing out your ring too.

Happy for you that you're biking again and getting the miles in.  My daily riding stopped in October and it's a long wet winter ahead.

Hey thanks for the input y'all some good advice there. I just replaced the front chain wheel and bottom bracket about a week ago. I thought I was losing my mind going thru parts like wild fire. I am getting a little more hang time out of the SRAM parts it seems.

Hope you get a break in the weather soon Cane, thanks for the well wishes! Cheers! I love Seattle, nice and rainy there. Come to think of it, I don't ever remember seeing the sun there lol.

It's been a different Seattle in recent years; sunnier and drier.  Seems like every time I turn around we're breaking some sort of "least rain" record.  But it's still Seattle and it's November so there's no escape now until winter's over.  Enjoy your sun.  Cheers!

Back