• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

D3monic's such a sauce noob

I've tried to make sauces in the past with moderate success and failure. More often than not way too hot even for my taste.

I have a handful of fataliis and looking at making a nice yellow sauce. Fishing for ideas on some ingredients

I just got a PH probe so I can properly bottle the sauce. Not looking at a giant batch. Maybe 6 peppers worth at a medium heat. My last sauce was like 12 bhuts and a jar of applesauce as a cutter and what ever else I added like onion and what not. Was way too hot to consume.

Currently on my cell but later tonight I will dig through some threads on here.

If using ~6 peppers how many apples/jars applesauce and ect would you expect to use to acheive a small batch of medium hi heat sauce... Say around LDHS black label heat? Or should I plan on using less peppers? Only want maybe 5-6 woozies worth.

And ingredient suggestions, think I want to stay away from pineapple and mango.

Maybe, apples, garlic, salt, lime, (ginger?) onion ... Open to ideas just want to keep the yellow color.
Appreciate any insight

I like Devil's Tongue (mine are red, but still) ...

Nice little pods ...

You just gave me a good compromise ...

I'm going to make a HS tomorrow based on the pods you send, and whatever I need to pick-up from the grocery store, and I'm going to hold off on brewing beer tomorrow ...

Hmmm ... what kind of sauce to make ... I guess I need to spread out some peppers! =)

CHEERS!

I have lemon, lime, peach, red onion, and an elephant garlic ...

But I'm going to hit store first tomorrow ...

No idea how to do it, though ...

I probably can make multiple at once, too, and probably should ...

i have twelve bottles ...

just settling down to look around, now ...

So, I just sorted the box ... thanks for all the pods! ...

Going to make multiple batches tomorrow, I think, as it doesn't seem like it will be unruly on the stove ...

More concerned w/ resultant air quality, really ...

Harsher than dehydrating? ...

grantmichaels said:
So, I just sorted the box ... thanks for all the pods! ...

Going to make multiple batches tomorrow, I think, as it doesn't seem like it will be unruly on the stove ...

More concerned w/ resultant air quality, really ...

Harsher than dehydrating? ...

No  not at all, dehydrating mush worse. I don't get any complaints while I make sauce. 

grantmichaels said:
So, I just sorted the box ... thanks for all the pods! ...Going to make multiple batches tomorrow, I think, as it doesn't seem like it will be unruly on the stove ...More concerned w/ resultant air quality, really ...Harsher than dehydrating? ...
D3monic said:
No  not at all, dehydrating mush worse. I don't get any complaints while I make sauce.
The last sauce I made caused a series of f-bombs from the wife in between her coughs and gasps for air. I have noticed it really depends on the types of peppers.
D3monic said:
Taste test lil bits of each before deciding routes to go with them.  
Looks great D3. I like the color, something different.

tctenten said:
The last sauce I made caused a series of f-bombs from the wife in between her coughs and gasps for air. I have noticed it really depends on the types of peppers.

Looks great D3. I like the color, something different.

Put a tablespoon+ of cold expeller pressed grapeseed oil into the pot, the cap binds to oil instead of releasing into the air (noticeable difference). It is also a great oil for emulsification, and is neutral so will not impart flavor. 

Yeah put the oil in and stick blend it so it incorporates and the binding happens or if you blend your peppers in a blender/processor add it to the blender. 

I have a nice pile of Bahamian goats and MOA Bonnets and some red bonnets, debating if I should do a sauce or powder with them. Roasted bonnet sauce, hmm what to use, Think I still have carrots, onion, garlic. Maybe a bell pepper. Yes a bell pepper (enjoya)

blender/food-mill are actually two things i don't have, as a matter of fact, so I sorted, cleaned, and individually froze the bulk pods in vac bags for future food processor/stick-blender sauce attemp - probably this weekend ...

i picked up usps priority boxes this afternoon, so i'll be sending your box today or tomorrow, depending on how things go at work today (boss is out), and with brewing ...

Back