• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Damascus knife making video

All damascus has to be etched to be able to see the pattern. See the Damascus ? Of course not. They're fresh out of the heat treat.
Yeah. You don't see the photo either.
What happened to posting pictures here ? This shit wont even accept the url from Flikr ?

I have been wondering when you were going to post Doug since I knew you were a knife maker. :cool:
I bought a cheap Harbor Freight belt sander after seeing the post you put about the Edge Masters.
Thanks! I love it and made a quick video I posted.

That was awesome. A lot of the "damascus" blades you see at affordable prices are made from high carbon steel cable that are bundled together. You can forge weld, twist and hammer it to get a decent blade. If you want to see an amazing metal, check out Teledyne's Vasco Neverwear. Its used to make industrial crane hooks. You have to do most of the sharpening when hot since its so hard to do when cold. You can cut almost all other blades with it.

The Vikings were folding steel long before the Japanese though...

To be fair, my damascus knife is stainless. It only got stained cause my old house mate cut tomatoes and didn't wash it. It was dried by the time I found it.

They may have but I would rather go up against a Viking and his sword than a Samurai and his! :eek:
+1 that.
I've used one, it's like a perfectly balanced 3ft long razor that won't break. Samurai trained for years before given a real sword.
Vikings were handed a heavy unbalanced sword, took fly agaric mushrooms so they felt no fear, and told to go nuts.

Studying ninjitsu, it's amazing how much discipline is in Japanese sword working. Because the sword is so powerful, your focus is on how your feet move as much as your hands. Most sword fights lasted only 3 seconds for a reason!

To be fair, my damascus knife is stainless. It only got stained cause my old house mate cut tomatoes and didn't wash it. It was dried by the time I found it.

+1 that.
I've used one, it's like a perfectly balanced 3ft long razor that won't break. Samurai trained for years before given a real sword.
Vikings were handed a heavy unbalanced sword, took fly agaric mushrooms so they felt no fear, and told to go nuts.

Studying ninjitsu, it's amazing how much discipline is in Japanese sword working. Because the sword is so powerful, your focus is on how your feet move as much as your hands. Most sword fights lasted only 3 seconds for a reason!

Ninjitsu is a fascinating art George and I admire the Japanese arts as well as many others for that.
I have a Brown/Black belt in Korean Kuk Sool Won which is another art with a long history in Korean traditional arts.
I never attained the rank of black belt as I quit several months before testing for black belt so I was never able to study the sword forms of the art. Sure wish I could have though as the weapons in Kuk Sool are almost as vast as the Chinese arts.

Yeah, East Asia has been a constant battle ground longer than people thought to write it down! The result is almost supernatural fighting styles and hand to hand weapons.

Unless you come across a yakuza, the Japanese are not so scary nowadays.. I'd hate to have been here 200 years ago and upset someone! ;)

Ditto for China, but I gotta plead ignorance with Korean history other than its engulfment in japans Pacific campaign, or the Korean war with the USA.

For the most part Korean people are bigger,thicker set and stronger lads (I've met a few scary women too! Haha) so I can imagine their martial arts system to be formidable. At a guess big strikes or wrestling based? No idea though...

Back