• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Damping on roots

I just looked and seen some damping off on root tips poking through the mesh of the paet pellets. There is none on the stem or dirt just on the little root ends poking throught the mesh. The plants look okay. Will this kill them or should I just leave it?

chillilover said:
I just looked and seen some damping off on root tips poking through the mesh of the paet pellets. There is none on the stem or dirt just on the little root ends poking throught the mesh. The plants look okay. Will this kill them or should I just leave it?

My advice get those plants transplanted asap as getting entangled roots out of the mesh of peat/Jiffy pellets can be a bitch and try always to avoid root damage to your precious young plants :)

they will grow back.. dont worry about it...

if you snap a little but off in the process, i dont think its really a big deal..

but can someone tell me what ' damping off ' is exactly please...

thanks

Its a fungal disease often caused by excess moisture or un-sterilized soils and usually effects the stem where it meets the soil

More than likely, this is just root hairs. Does it look like this?

35_03RootHairsAndTip.jpg

willard3 said:
No.......the shape of damping off fungi is amorphous.

This is true. I figured maybe he was seeing root hairs and thinking it was mycelium.

Under the right conditions, damping off can be caused by Pythium species, Phytophthora species, Fusarium species, and Rhizoctonia solani, most of which will also produce mycelial "fuzz" when humidity is high.

Back