• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Dan the Salsa Man

Hello everyone.
Making salsa is one of my favorite things to do. Doesn't matter where the ingredients come from, ill put em together and make it taste good.
Here is a very basic blended salsa that begins the same way as pretty much all my salsa's do.
This stuff is for chips, tacos, or anything else! All I know is I am not allowed to go a week without making a batch of the tasty stuff. Environmental and produce variables exist, but consistency isn't as important when Im cooking at home. Ill probably keep updating this thread as time goes on. Please feel free to ask questions or add anything you would like.

I throw some stuff in water to help with consistency and flavor. That water is salted and allows me to determine the texture of the sauce. Note the chunk of yellow 7 floating in there.
DSCN0513.jpg

I also grill the same ingredients for flavor and color in the sauce. The darker the better. Note the yellow 7 cooking in there. ( missing from the picture is 2 dried california chili's)
DSCN0514.jpg

Salt and pepper, ALOT of Lime.
DSCN0515.jpg

Here is everything right before blending, see the flavorful liquid in the bottom?
DSCN0516.jpg

Finished product. I normally drink beer, but oh well.
DSCN0517.jpg

Does this post belong here? I sure hope so..

You like salsa like I do; pureed. Smoother, more incorporated taste.

Nice one.

Welcome!

Do you fish the pieces out of the saucepan, blender them and add as much or little water from the saucepan as needed?

Nice looking sauce! Thanks for sharing-
Salsalady

Hi Salsalady, thanks for the welcome.

I use a slotted spoon to fish out the stuff in the saucepan, then the amount of water I use depends on how many solids I'm putting in. For this one I used lime, then a splash of the water before blending. Normally I can eyeball it but if it's too thin I add another tomato, and if too thick more water. Generally I try and add little because you can never take away. Hope that helps

Lookin good Dan, :welcome: from Clovis, CA. You're a cook, you ought to check out the throwdown thread and join in, they're a lot of fun. Bakers ought to know how to do a dynamite waffle.

Nice salsa. Very similar to mine. When I use whole tomatoes, I blanch them first to get rid of the skin. Also, I always add celery salt and parsley. Pureed or chunky both work great.

Well here we go again, it never seems to stop in my household.

This is a typical salsa verde, or tomatillo based sauce that I like to make come taco time.

I start with a little stew of salted water, tomatillo's (from the garden of course), various peppers( in this case we have Serrano, Jalapeno, dried Pequin, and a healthy chunk of the delicious large yellow 7POD), and some aromatics, like onion and garlic.

DSCN0535.jpg

Then I throw in the grilled items, like more onion, some california chili's and specifically the other half of that 7POD.
Once it hits the blender I adjust the texture accordingly, and add plenty of S/P, Lime, Cilantro, and a teeny tiny bit of red onion for bite.

Here is the end result.

DSCN0540.jpg

This batch had a very UP FRONT kinda heat :mouthonfire: . After that it mellowed out nicely with the slightly bitter tomatillo's and roasted flavor of the Cali Chili's

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, and interesting comments, I would like to keep this thread going, so keep in tune, I will be posting a deliciously medium heat red salsa next.

Here's that red one. As always theres a lot of stuff that didn't make it into the pictures. Its hard to entertain, cook, and shoot photo's right? haha :crazy: or am I the only one?

Burn it good :onfire:

DSCN0541.jpg

And let the magic happen.

DSCN0542.jpg

Happy saucing everyone. Keep it hot!

Back