• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dangler's Gonna Glog It

Never been good about this but going to give a Glog a try.  It's time to start seeds here in Kansas.  Some do it earlier ..... now is when I do it.  I've selected my seeds and divided them into Group A and Group B.
Group A will be started this weekend.  Group A includes most of my hotter varieties. 
I use the paper towel method to germinate seeds in lidded cups on temperature controlled heat mats.  Then I will transplant to 3.5" pots  .... more on this later.  I use T5 lighting systems.  Depending on the variety, I will ultimately look for 1X-4X starts.  I growout in 37 raised beds.  I grow as a hobby, to give away, small time sales and to process.  
Group A germination candidates are:

7 Pot Burgundy,

7 Pot Nebru,

7 Pot Primo Yellow,

7 Pot Yellow X 7 Pot Douglah,

Bhut Jolokia Arseclown,

Bhut Jolokia Assam Yellow,

Bhut Jolokia Caramel,

Bhut Jolokia Orange Copenhagen,

Bhut Jolokia Peach,

Bhut Jolokia Red,

Bhut Jolokia Salmon,

Bhut Jolokia Texas Firehouse RT,

Bhut Jolokia X Habanero RT,

BOC X Brain Strain,

Bonda Mahala,

Fatali,

Habanero Scorpanero,

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion,

Jonah's Yellow Brain,

Mojo Scoundrel,

SB7J Yellow,

Scotch Brains,

Scotch Brains Large Pheno,

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate,

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga,

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow,

Yaki Blue Fawn

I'll post Group B as we progress.  Group B is a much larger undertaking .... mostly SBs, annuums and baccatums.  I'll probably start those in a couple weeks.  Looking forward to documenting the season. I'll post the pictures once we get started.  

The season is over ..... We processed the last of our pods today for seed.  Carolina Reapers, Chocolate Scorpions, Bahamian Beast Chocolates, 7 Pot Cinders, 7 Pot Burgundys, Caramel Bhut Jolokias and Jamaican Hot Chocolates.  What a hot job!!!! :onfire:   My lips and nose are burning and I was totally gloved up.  The chinense funk was over whelming.  The dehydrator is full of Reapers and Scorpions .... it's out on the screened in porch ..... you can't hardly go out there the smell is soooo strong. 

Drop me a PM if you want some seed.  It should be available in a few weeks.  

Our last task is to rake all of the fallen pods out of the raised beds so we don't get a million volunteers next year.  

We'll start planning for 2020 once the WX turns cold  :party: .

Great finish to the season, Mike!

Your garden area is really beautiful.

Enjoy a little break from pepper processing!

Impressive amount of pods to say the least. Looks like a lot of work went into that set up, almost looks like a full time job!

Do you crop rotate at all? How long have you had those raised beds going? Have no input, I am just interested. You obviously know what you are doing.

Nice win against the Sooners btw...

boutros said:
Impressive amount of pods to say the least. Looks like a lot of work went into that set up, almost looks like a full time job!

Do you crop rotate at all? How long have you had those raised beds going? Have no input, I am just interested. You obviously know what you are doing.

Nice win against the Sooners btw...
It's a part time job for me .... much more for my wife.  I still work full time time in the Aerospace Industry.  We've established a crop rotation.  The beds are almost 8 years old but we perform maintenance on them every year.  Before that we were row planters (in the ground).  We have 37 beds (varying sizes).  Most of the maintenance is on the pea gravel between the beds.  We spend $$$ every year keeping that in order.  Yep, big win for the Cats.  Big impact on the recruits.  New coach this year and I think he's going to be a great successor to Snyder.  Sunflower Showdown this weekend ..... should be more competitive this year .... Kansas has won a few games.  

Thanks was just wondering, definitely looks like an investment on setup, upkeep, and whatnot- but one that pays off! Great location outside of a pretty nice area too, was just down recently in Overland Park and Olathe for one of my kids soccer tournaments. Weather seems so much better 3 hrs south! Prob will see some of that showdown too this Sat. My team has a bye but college fb will be on all day as usual,,, Best of luck next growing season, will stay tuned.

boutros said:
Thanks was just wondering, definitely looks like an investment on setup, upkeep, and whatnot- but one that pays off! Great location outside of a pretty nice area too, was just down recently in Overland Park and Olathe for one of my kids soccer tournaments. Weather seems so much better 3 hrs south! Prob will see some of that showdown too this Sat. My team has a bye but college fb will be on all day as usual,,, Best of luck next growing season, will stay tuned.
Thanks. Setup was pricey but the maintenance isn't too bad. We're about 15 miles south of Olathe.  So you're a Cyclone fan?  You've got a nice team this year.  

No sir, Wisconsin Badgers fan. Grew up out west though, so because of time difference could and at times would watch college fb from like six in the morning until midnight, lol. Here for work, have a branch in KC (actually Overland Park) though and am contemplating a move south...

boutros said:
No sir, Wisconsin Badgers fan. Grew up out west though, so because of time difference could and at times would watch college fb from like six in the morning until midnight, lol. Here for work, have a branch in KC (actually Overland Park) though and am contemplating a move south...
My office is in Overland Park.  

Really nice place, clean, top notch facilities. No shortage of good places to eat either!

Look forward to next season, hope to see your next glog!

Back