• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Datil growers

hixs

Banned
Ok question being,,,,I`m growing a datil Red hybrid now and damn they taste great.I`m sending seeds to a small group and hopefully putting them in the 2008 parcel.My question---I`ve pulled 3 and boy they are cheap on seeds.Are reg Datils they same way or is this bred into this one?In 3 the most seeds out have been 7,,you tell me people.Yes seeds are gonna be going to those I promised.Thanks everyone Rich

Interesting Rich maybe just the hybrid that has a few seeds..I no regular Datils have a fair few seeds :think:

LUCKYDOG said:
They do Talas Hixs I can get at least 10-15 or more per pod - had some more relish last night yum yum

Relish.... Yum Yum...

What do we have.... Recipe??

Hixs - Hows the flavor on those datils?

Have pods my friend but no sign of ripening yet..Put it down to not having a summer but an extended spring :lol:

The taste is really good...taste is a sweet red pepper but maybe a 5 out of 10 heat.Kind of a creeper heat.Relish or such would be greattttt with this pepper.

I missed this thread somehow! I've noticed that my Datil plants are starting to slow down now that's it's cooling off here in the St. Augustine area of Florida. I never count them, but I think I've averaged about 50 peppers per/plant this year. The taste is addictive.

I got the smallest, ripe Datil from one of them a couple days ago. It was about 3/8ths of an inch in diameter and round. Bright orange. It was the HOTTEST Datil I've ever tasted. DAMN was it hot. I'm talking up there at the top hot. It kind of took me by surprise. Over the years, I've eaten many hundreds of Datils and I've never had one even close to that one.

I kept it's seeds. hehe

I'll be putting them into germination soon. If this one spawns children as hot as it was, I might have something if it follows a few generations. We'll see. It may have just been a damaged pod or a freak. Who knows how it affected it's seeds though.

I have about 50-75 on 3 plants now I just need time to get'em -- I think I will vac-pac them and freeze if I should run out of relish

talas said:
Interesting Rich maybe just the hybrid that has a few seeds..I no regular Datils have a fair few seeds :think:
It isn't a hybrid is it?
I don't think I've come across any yellow C. chinense that I didn't like but for some reason yellow datil plants never produce well for me. The red datil is a better producer and has good flavor but I personally think the yellows are better tasting. I just cut open a red datil and there must be 30 or more seeds in one small pod.

Well Potawie maybe then it`s location on my end.Everything is slow as hell here and a lil cheap on seeds.Never grown a datil before so I asked.My pods are about 1 1/2 inches or so.There are pics on my flickr.My 2 datil red plants probebly have at least 25 or better pods on them now at 1 stage or another.As it was put to me by several people + 3 different dealers the red seemed to be addressed as a hybrid.These came thechiliwomen.com so you can check and find out .If i`m mis-informed then let me know. thanxs Rich

I've never seen any indication of Datil red being a hybrid. If it is then you probably don't want to be sending out seeds

Ok thank you,,Then I guess i`m wrong so sorry.This is what happens when you buy from other people .I asked for opinions and i`ve got them.Have a good one . Rich

Back