Datil growers

Here in Denmark (which is quite cold) I sometimes experience no seeds at all in fully developed pods when growing outside, when growing inside there are lots of seeds. My own theory is that poor pollination occurs when night temps are very low and this could lead to very few seeds or none at all. Just my observations, not sure if it's true...:)

By the way, the unidentified pods in your gallery looks a lot like "Murupi Doce" to me...

talas said:
Interesting Rich maybe just the hybrid that has a few seeds..I no regular Datils have a fair few seeds :think:

I'm growing yellow ones, not red and they arn't doing that well and they've hardly got any seeds in them, I do love the taste of them though.

rainbowberry said:
I'm growing yellow ones, not red and they aren't doing that well and they've hardly got any seeds in them, I do love the taste of them though.
Poor or incomplete pollination results in low seed count in peppers. You might consider giving your plants a firm, jarring shake every day when flowers are present. Something like firmly tapping the stems with your finger. If I remember though, you have a lot of different types of peppers in one area. The practice mentioned above might cross them and make the seeds unpredictable if many varieties are present. Hand pollination would be better in that case. This information is what I've extracted from several different pepper growing books.

Well thanxs Talas for the id.They are on the way now to you by the way.As for alot of plants in the same area you are right NAT .I guess i`ll see as the next 5 turn ripe.Thank you everyone on your input.

Hey donnie what is murupi doce?I`ve been trying to id them and well not much luck?

NatGreenMeds said:
Poor or incomplete pollination results in low seed count in peppers. You might consider giving your plants a firm, jarring shake every day when flowers are present. Something like firmly tapping the stems with your finger. If I remember though, you have a lot of different types of peppers in one area. The practice mentioned above might cross them and make the seeds unpredictable if many varieties are present. Hand pollination would be better in that case. This information is what I've extracted from several different pepper growing books.

Thats very interesting Nat thank you :)

The datils I am growing are taking forever to ripen sooooo...I couldn't stand it and ordered some super datils from a guy in Orange Park, Fl (ebay seller)...

100408a002.jpg

These are going to be made into "Nats Pepper Relish"

I contacted the guy selling them and he said the seeds are pure since these are the only peppers he grows...haven't cut one open yet or even tasted one...I will definitely try a slice of one or maybe even a good sized bite just to get the full effect of the ripe pepper....

Anyone else growing these? I am going to grow them next year along with the other datils I am currently growing...

Yep going to have a blast growing these next year,Wonder what the flavor is like compared to a regular Datil :)

AlabamaJack said:
The datils I am growing are taking forever to ripen sooooo...I couldn't stand it and ordered some super datils from a guy in Orange Park, Fl (ebay seller)...

These are going to be made into "Nats Pepper Relish"

I contacted the guy selling them and he said the seeds are pure since these are the only peppers he grows...haven't cut one open yet or even tasted one...I will definitely try a slice of one or maybe even a good sized bite just to get the full effect of the ripe pepper....
Man, those look good AJ! Why is it they call them "Super"? Orange Park is just down the street from me.

they are supposed to be larger than the "regular" datil, or at least that is what he said...

AlabamaJack said:
they are supposed to be larger than the "regular" datil, or at least that is what he said...
I sure look forward to your analysis of them. The flavor in particular. Thanks AJ!

A thought anybody tried Sweet Datil ?
Nat might be worth going down see if has any new datil variety's as theres red/yellow Super and regular Datils :)

talas said:
A thought anybody tried Sweet Datil ?
Nat might be worth going down see if has any new datil variety's as theres red/yellow Super and regular Datils :)
Yes, I've grown the sweet Datils also. I'll tell you a little story about my last one.

I had a 5 gallon flower pot with a beautiful, lush sweet Datil plant in it. The thing was COVERED with peppers. Must of been 50 of them all ripening at once.

I had it next to my front door.

I came home from work one night and after unlocking the front door, I realized that something didn't look right. I stepped back out and looked around, only to see a round dirty spot on the ground right where my huge Datil plant had been.

Some low-life stole my plant! How desperate is that?

100 windows within site of it and no one saw a thing.

They do taste exactly like the hot ones. Very, very nice for mellowing out a dish when someone is going to eat it that can't handle the hot stuff.

They sound great my friend,gonna have to grap some of those,Thx for the info and id have killed somebody who stole that :)

Hey what exactly is a super datil?Just a size difference?Stupid question but trying to get it straight.have a great one. rich

hixs said:
Hey what exactly is a super datil?Just a size difference?Stupid question but trying to get it straight.have a great one. rich

Super Datil is closer to a Fatalii in looks and taste. Mine were a bit milder in both heat and flavor compared to my Fataliis. I had a very rainy season though.
Datils are smaller and have a smokey tinged fruitish flavor, if that makes any sense. They are also thicker walled and juicier.

bjs2006 said:
Datils are smaller and have a smokey tinged fruitish flavor, if that makes any sense. They are also thicker walled and juicier.
It's tough to describe some things. Your description made me hungry. A thick walled, juicy, smoky fruit flavored pepper. Damn! Yum!

bjs2006 said:
Super Datil is closer to a Fatalii in looks and taste. Mine were a bit milder in both heat and flavor compared to my Fataliis. I had a very rainy season though.

Cheers my friend was wondering what the difference was taste wise :)

hixs said:
Well thanxs Talas for the id.They are on the way now to you by the way.As for alot of plants in the same area you are right NAT .I guess i`ll see as the next 5 turn ripe.Thank you everyone on your input.

Hey donnie what is murupi doce?I`ve been trying to id them and well not much luck?

Hi Hixs
Murupi Doce is a synonym of Cheiro Doce :

Name is Portuguese, meaning “I smell candy”.
Should possess most aroma at immature stage, i.e. green

Season: Late Size: 120 cms in height, 60 cms in width
Canopy: dark green
Flowers: white, 2-4 per node

Pungency: none
Aroma/taste: intense aromatic, fruity
Pod colour: light green > shiny red
Orientation: pendant
Size and shape: 5-8 x 1.5 cm, oblong and wrinkled

Remarks:
Used for gravies and conserve

:D