• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Datil pepper grow in DWC Hydro Under LED

Here is a grow we have had going for a couple months now.
Alpha+Hydro+dwc+under+led+and++001+%252852%2529.jpg

This indoor garden features two independent Deep Water Culture (DWC) Hydroponics systems from AlphaHydro. The first system (shown on left) features a 5 gallon bucket reservoir, a 10 inch net pot bucket basket, and General Hydroponics chipped coco coir grow media. The second system (same picture on right) features a 3.5 gallon bucket reservoir with a 6 inch net pot bucket basket and expanded clay grow media. Both systems have their own air pump and air stone, although you can run multiple systems off of one pump should you choose. The air pumps run constantly to provide oxygen and aerate the nutrient solution.
Both systems reside in a 2'x3.5' tub lined with 6 mil black poly sheeting. The tub serves to define the garden boundries and contain any plant matter or spills.

The light source is the Lumigrow 330 ES, LED horticultural grow light. This 330 watt enhanced spectrum grow light will acommodate a garden area of 12-16 square feet. We suspended the lamp using rope ratchet style hangers. We also added a timer.

The enhanced spectrum provided by this unit delivers an optimum full PAR range (photosynthetically active radiation, 400 to 700nm) to the plants. Internal fans keep the lamp cool, (warm to the touch) after hours of continuous operation. No additional cooling/ fans/ ducts, ballasts or reflectors are needed. Power consumption is about 50% when compared to an equivalent 600 watt HPS or MH lamp.

You can read more about this light, including all the spec's here.

The nutrients for this grow are from Tecnaflora's Recipe for success.

We chose some datil pepper seedlings that we had started outdoors. They were propogated from seed in a mixture of coco coir, perlite and vermiculite. We transplanted 2 plants into each of the AlphaHydro dwc systems. Each of the plants were about 4-5 inches in height. Not the best specimens mind you, (left over stock that didn't make the cut for the outdoor garden), but they would do.
alphahydro+products+024.jpg

The light cycle runs 18 hours on 6 hours off. Initially, the grow light is placed about 2 ft above the plant seedlings.The air pumps run constantly for continuous aerating of the reservoirs. We added a small fan for increased air circulation around the plants.

Within 7 to 10 days, new growth began to emerge from each of the plants. As the plants began to develop several sets of leaves, the light was moved closer to the tops of the plants (approximately 8 - 12 inches above the canopy).

Nutrients replenished about every 7- 10 days. The two systems combined use about 3 gallons of nutrient solution. As the plants grow in size and root system develops, we expect the amount of nutrient solution needed will increase.
alphahydro+products+042.jpg

Within 2 weeks, the plants began to extend and develop a healthy root system.
Plant development over the next 6 weeks was consistent in all but one of the plants. One of the plants in the 5 gallon system lagged significantly behind the others and was removed.

During weeks six and seven, the first sign of flower development emerged on each of the remaining 3 plants.
The root systems too, continued to develop and expand.
dwc+under+led+023.jpg

Week 8 - The first flowers begin to open. We maintained the level of the lights above the plant canopy. Nutrient solution began to be used up a much faster pace. We increased the volume of nutrient solution to approximately 4 gallons between the 2 systems.
dwc+under+led+031.jpg

During weeks nine and ten, the plants nearly doubled in size. Vegetative growth surged and the plants were filling out quite nicely with tight internodal patterns. More flowers began to emerge. We began to aid pollination using a cotton swab on the flowers.
dwc+under+led+001.jpg

During the course of this grow we employed the following techniques:
Each time we replenished the nutrient solution, we rinsed the grow media with fresh water.
We rotated the plants to make sure light was equally reaching all parts of the plants.
We monitored the pH and TDS levels in each system. (Neither seemed to fall out of favorable range. No adjustments neccesary).

dwc+under+led+002.jpg

More updates and images coming soon.

What is wrong with the foliage? It appears to be both puckering and tacoing. It has a nice glossy sheen to it though. What PPM you are pushing the Techniflora nutrients to?

What is wrong with the foliage? It appears to be both puckering and tacoing. It has a nice glossy sheen to it though. What PPM you are pushing the Techniflora nutrients to?
The PPM is about 1050, pH is about 6.1 The foliage tends to do that in reaction to the light being fairly close. Over time those leaves tend to "unfurl". Either way it doesn't seem to effect the overall health of the plant.

man, great looking plants! i just wish i could grow indoor! my DWC out on my balcony is growing but its been cold and so they have been growing SLOOOOOOW!

man, great looking plants! i just wish i could grow indoor! my DWC out on my balcony is growing but its been cold and so they have been growing SLOOOOOOW!

Thanks for your feedback... I also saw your a disc golfer. Been playin since 91.
Now im teaching my little girl.
Still play with my old school discs, shark, panther, stingray, birdie putter

Weeks 11 and 12 update for Datil Pepper Growing in Alpha Hydro Deep Water Culture under LED.

dwc+under+led+006.jpg

Plants continued vigorous vegetative growth during weeks 11 and 12.

dwc+under+led+008.jpg

More flowers and buds forming.

dwc+under+led+014.jpg

Plants continue to fill out nicely.

Trouble shooting: Although the plants are growing quite steadily, I am experiencing flower drop. Several new healthy flowers continue to appear but don't seem to pollinate, despite hand pollination.
I don't think this is a nutrient issue, as new flowers continue to appear. I feel there is enough magnesium and phosphates present.
My best guess thus far is temperature. Temps in the garden at night have dropped below 65F on multiple occasions. The lights typically are off from 12 midnite- 6am.

Starting this week I will be running the lights 24 hours/ day to help maintain the temperature at approx 72F.

Please let me know if you all have any comments or suggestions.

never grown a datil, but in my experiance its not uncommon for healthy plants to drop flowers for a while before setting. my bih plant droped flowers for like two weeks.

Thanks for your feedback... I also saw your a disc golfer. Been playin since 91.
Now im teaching my little girl.
Still play with my old school discs, shark, panther, stingray, birdie putter

those are classics! i actually sold an old ultra long range driver(cannot rememebr the name) for 125 dollars last year! i have 4 more that have never been used! LOL shark makes a great roller! i have not played in some time as the San diego course is so packed all the time! :(

if you could break down th nute levels you are using that might help some of the experts help out! below is just my personal experinece with my plants but they were in soil, this is my first go at hydro and my plants are still under a foot tall and jsut starting to branch out

my plants too have dropped lots of flowers before setting pods! even with temps in the low 50's at night and upper 50-low 60's during the day a couple plants are still setting pods! try reducing the nitrogen at the next change and run that soloution for a few weeks to see if that makes a difference. i noticed that once i switched to a straight "bloom" fert the plants were much happier and the flowers were full of pollen!

Wow, fantastic stuff!
I am actually thinking about getting one of these LumiGrow lights as well. For me this is also the first time I have seen one of these without gonja underneath it.
Would you mind if I ask a few questions about the light, capabilities and your experience with it because I am right on the verge of buying one but want to make sure it is the right thing to do for my needs. I am torn between that or some Fluorescent lights of some form. I am very new to indoor growing and want to do chillis, basil, lettuce and tomatoes in an area of 3x3 or 4x4 feet.
Any input is welcome.
thanks for showing me Datils do well under LumiGrow. What I needed to see!

Wow, fantastic stuff!
I am actually thinking about getting one of these LumiGrow lights as well. For me this is also the first time I have seen one of these without gonja underneath it.
Would you mind if I ask a few questions about the light, capabilities and your experience with it because I am right on the verge of buying one but want to make sure it is the right thing to do for my needs. I am torn between that or some Fluorescent lights of some form. I am very new to indoor growing and want to do chillis, basil, lettuce and tomatoes in an area of 3x3 or 4x4 feet.
Any input is welcome.
thanks for showing me Datils do well under LumiGrow. What I needed to see!

Lumigrow makes the es165 for an area of 3x3
For an area of 4x4 the es 330 is what I would go with.
You can read all of the spec's on our website (link on our profile page).
Let me know if you are interested in ordering or have any questions.

Back