• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DC Balcony Glog

I am relatively new to this forum and have been posting here and there.  Think this might make more sense.  

I am in Washington DC and have a 3rd floor condo with a West facing balcony.  Figuring out what will grow out there has been trying.  Extremely hot and dry in the summer.  Water has to be carried from the kitchen sink.  Rarely will anything last over winter.  Lots of pest problems because too high for many pest predators.  I love to cook and love hot foods.  The answer was obvious.

Here is last years set up:

I usually buy 12 plants from Chiliplants.com.  It's all I can do to take the 40 or so I want and pair it down to 12.

This year I was given some seeds from Jason at Jason's Fire Fusions Hot Sauce.  It took me down a bad road.  I have never been successful at starting from seed.  In fact, tried once, failed miserably and have never done it since.  BUT, since I had this gift of Red Brain and Tiny Tobasco, I thought I would try.  While I was at it I threw in some seeds from my fav from last year, the Chultepino. (I think I spell it differently every time I type it, but prolific, tasty, and wonderful.)

I work at a catering company, so trays, cups, lids etc. came easily.  I bought a heat mat and went to town.  

Imagine my surprise when:

First one up was one of my own that I threw in just because.
Then two!

Then one of Jason's Brain Strains.

I have very little space and limited outlets, so for now grow lights are not an option.  This is my set up and I move them to the sun when I am here and it is shining.
The tiny Tobascos started to come up last Thursday, the day of the snowstorm here.  I had too much time to stare at them and think.  I moved them under the lights too early, they shrivled.

Pulled them, put them back under the dome.

Today I got frusterated with the lack of growth and pulled all the non growing cups.  They were completely dry.  My spritzing was not enough water.  I repotted the almost plants in plastic, they had been in paper egg cups and I think that was a problem, planted the last of my Tiny Tobasco seeds and we'll see.

Potted up my 2 chultepenos and they look good.  The Brain Strain is next.

Also placed my yearly order with Cross Country Nursery today.  Was going to limit it to 6, since they changed their limit but just couldn't.  This could be an interesting season.

Grow list from Cross Country:

Ammazzo
Cherry Chocolate
Cochiti
Fatalii
Fire
Fish
Goat's Weed
Habanera white 2
Jalapeño Early
Merah
Shishito
Trinidad Scorpion

So far so good.  Looking forward to spring!

Well, this is where I am now. Have one new Tiny Tobasco sprout and fighting a small infestation of fungus gnats. Been watering with H2O2 and just added the cinnamon. If it doesn't work it makes the condo smell good.

Growth is very slow, but been mostly grey and don't have a good light set up.

Finally feeling like spring here in DC, so hopefully will be able to get everyone outside for a bit.

My CCN plants should be here mid month. It really needs to warm up!

Hi from due North. It's really neat that your seedlings look so healthy and not leggy. I've never had any luck starting seeds - light seems to be the issue. You must have really good natural sunlight.

Best o' luck!

kayjay said:
Hi from due North. It's really neat that your seedlings look so healthy and not leggy. I've never had any luck starting seeds - light seems to be the issue. You must have really good natural sunlight.

Best o' luck!
Thanks! The bigger ones got a full day outside today. So far so good.

My Red Brain is sickly. Yellowing. Have been bottom watering, not fertilizing much. Been dark and grey here. Should I worry?

Nice idea with the tp tube. Pic for the Brain is a bit blurry so can't tell. Doesn't look too bad. Other plants look healthy

Worried, leaves getting yellow and translucent. Started top watering, maybe too much feed - fish emulsion every two weeks, bud and bloom twice. Put them outside une shade but breeze for a few hours and about 3 hours of sun over the last two weeks.

Ready to plant out

First pot: Fatali, Jalepeno Early and Trinidad Scorpion

Pot 2: Cherry Chocolate, Habanero White 2, Shishito

Pot 3: Cochiti, Fire, Fish

Pot 4: large cayenne, Ammazzo, Goat's Weed

Red Brain

2 Chiletepins

"and a parsley not an a pear tree!"

Looking good!  FYI - I just finished bringing all my plants inside... so much work but better than risking it.  It's going to be a very cold night and I don't want them to get any frost damage or get stunted.

I know, these temps suck. I brought in what I could and have pulled everything close to the wall covering with a sheet the last two nights. Hopefully tonight will be the last. At least this afternoon's sun has perked them up.

Another full shot with close ups of the chilies. All are doing well

And my sad Carolina Reaper that barely survived over wintering. We will see what happens with it.

Looking good there.

I have a handful of 5 gal fabric pots and air pots if you want to make a trip to Fairfax that I'll give you. Pm me if your interested.

Seacowboy said:
Looking good there.
I have a handful of 5 gal fabric pots and air pots if you want to make a trip to Fairfax that I'll give you. Pm me if your interested.
Thank you for the offer, but I'm not liking the fabric pot I have. Too loosey goosey.

Been hot and sunny these last two weeks. Lots of growth!

And my OW reaper, which I was sure was a goner is looking better!

I am seeing a little leaf curl, but think it's due to the sudden summer weather. I hesitate to say it, but so far no sign of the dreaded beasties.

Back