• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Dehydrating Peppers

When you dehydrate peppers does it kill the seed? If it doesn't, at what temp is it safe so it doesn't kill the seed?
I usually just air dry them but I thought that this may be quicker. Thanks for any info!

Charles

I think if you are 105* or lower they are ok. I am not positive though, as I remove any seeds I may want to save before I throw the peppers in to dehydrate. I just air dry the seeds on a paper towel.

One way to find out for sure is to take 10 or more out after dehydrating and try to sow them and see if and how many germinate. But I to would think if it was to hot you would in essence "cook" the seed and render it useless.

Ok thx guys! I will probably just put all the seeds I want to save on a paper towel and then dehydrate the peppers. Thanks for the quick response!

Charles

Yep, dry the chiles however you like, but remove the seeds you want first and air dry them. I just throw them on a paper plate to dry.

I dry them at 95 degrees in my dehydrator and have excellent germination..and the low setting also helps retain color in the pods you are drying
Kevin

Thanks guys for all the replies. That's what makes this forum so awesome. Everyone willing to help. Just awesome!

Charles

I dry them at 95 degrees in my dehydrator and have excellent germination..and the low setting also helps retain color in the pods you are drying
Kevin

Same here. I read somewhere (forgot where) that the "killing" temp was 125F and up. So, last year I experimented and set the dehydrator at 110F and let em dry. Then, I germ tested 5 seeds in a paper towel / baggie. All peppers tested 4 outa 5 or 5/5. I'm growing out some of those seeds this year, just to make sure there was no "damage" done. If everything grows out ok, I won't be de-seeding much in the future (except for the rare ones maybe :) )

No worries Ajarn, its a detonation of Amonium Nitrate Fuel Oil (ANFO), subsurface. Was 100 kg's from memory, we were having a biggest hole competition :D

I do the same thing Kevin, 95 degrees and all my seeds remain viable

I found the website, and their research document, from a seed savers network early this season when I was pondering the use of my 110F dehydrator. The document states... "In general drying temperature should not exceed 42C."(107.6F)
After reading this, I decided that I should remove any seeds I hope to save before drying in my model dehydrator.

With that being said,I have planted the seeds from dried chile's that I bought at local Mexican grocery stores, and they have successfully grown into productive plants.

www.genevar.com.au/seedsavers/resources/9.html

I have dried up to 125 and had all seeds remain good, but thats just cause my dehydrator does not go lower. I would like to have them at 100F if possible.

I have dried up to 125 and had all seeds remain good, but thats just cause my dehydrator does not go lower. I would like to have them at 100F if possible.
I had thought I would need a higher heat than 110, so the pods would get crisper and therefore be easier grinding into a fine chili powder.I just can't get the extra fine powder I want

Extra fine powder is a result of the blades and grinder, not the crispness of the pod. At 110, just leave them in longer, sometimes up to a couple days.

Back