• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Dehydration, it's what I need

Hi Guys

I've got over 6lbs of habs in my freezer and I want to make some powder. So, as the title suggests, dehydration, it's what I need.

I can get pretty much all the dehydrators available to you over there in the US, just with a bigger price tag.

My question is, which one do you use and would you recommend it?

I've been looking at the Excaliber, would you give it a thumbs up?

Many thanks,

Lee

i had a mr. coffee one i got on ebay..unfortunately i only was able ot use it once before the fan motor burnt out. now i have an american harvest snackmaster encore 500 watt. it has worked very well for me so far. it was brand new for 50-60 bucks on amazon. i've only made beef jerky with it so far though.

I have the excailber It Rocks!! Dries my peppers perfectly and makes good jerky too .If you get one get the 9 tray version though beaucse once you buy you can't add more trays for more room. And if your harvest is like mine you'll want all the room you can get.

I have 3 American Harvest six trays each. Snack master no control fan on bottom, veg master with control fan on bottom ,and the grandmaster control and fan on top. All three work great and cost 40 at Wal-Mart or on the net. Can add up to 12 trays on all three.

I have a 9 tray excalibur. I bought that brand because my father has had an excaliber for about 20 years. I recommend it. I have had friends melt ronco and mr.coffee brands trying to make jerky and would say stay away from them.

is there anything i need to do to prepare peppers for dehydration? or just slice them up and stick them in there? i plan on grinding them up into a powder.

So how long does this usually take? I put mine in the toaster oven last night (it has a dehydrate setting) and my peppers are still mushy.

Mine takes three to four days in my Ronco-type dehydrator. Soaking the peppers in water with a little lemon juice helps retain the color when dried. I powdered a bunch of habs this year and bottled them up all fancy to give to my friends for the Holidays. Truly, the gift that keeps on giving.:hell:

We've been making powder for awhile for our candy bars and have found a few helpful tips that may help you we found by freezing then thawing the pods breaks down the skins when you place on dehydrator and for maximum pepper heat don't have the temp above 115 on your dehydrator of course it takes longer something about the higher temps takes from the heat of the chiles just our experience and like a true disclaimer "Your results may vary"

I 've tasted some real good powders done on a smoker but I've always preferred a couple wal mart dehydrators I like the way you can accurately control the temp and is easy.

Mick
Kato's

Back