Demand in Canada

There seems to be little production in Canada at this time.  Buying fresh pods is very difficult and since buying from the USA requires a lot of paper work on both ends it makes it near impossible for a small business.  So I am wondering is the demand to small to generate production or is the demand so high that production can't keep up?  Our season is short so I can see that as causing an issue when comparing to the USA or Mexico.  There are a handful of greenhouses that grow peppers but I only know of one that grows super hots.  So hopefully we have some Canadian producers or hot sauce makers that could chime in.  Assuming that we have any ;)

This is my first year having a greenhouse and after around two years of planning & learning I've only finally gotten my business name registered. My main business focus will be towards seed sales across Canada, but I do aim to do some sales of fresh pods and powders (the powders as a byproduct so the pods don't go to waste after de-seeding).

In my area here in Nova Scotia I've found from talking to lots of people over the past couple of years that there is plenty of interest and if the product is there then the demand will follow, so I think a lack of demand isn't an issue. If anything there's actually a steadily growing interest between individuals discovering the superhots & the like online (as I originally did) and the fast food joints more often offering up new spicy menu items.

"Too much" demand is a risk, at least for me, where I am just starting out. I know lots of individuals that are interested in buying peppers from me (and I've already sold some), I've spoken with a local country-market type business that's interested in carrying some of my fresh pods and I've even sold a plastic bin of around 200 immature White Ghost's to a local bar. In speaking to them and other establishments (I've also spoken to local pizza shops and given them sample pods over the past couple of years) two of the questions that always seem to come up are a) how much volume of any particular variety I am going to have, and b) whether I am able to grow year round if they find there is a demand from their customers.

I only just managed to build a greenhouse this year that is around 17' long x 9' wide x ~10-11' high and that is only seasonal and ran just under $1000 to build, which doesn't provide all that much room to grow any substantial amount by the standards the pizza shops and bars might like for if they wanted a long-term supply (and the same goes for hot sauce producers). So the challenge I can foresee in meeting demand of supply to clients such as these -and- possibly selling more the public (i.e. here on the forum or through a website) would require a much larger greenhouse that would be able to function year-round (or an even larger greenhouse or houses if going seasonal), and planning & balancing budgets to anticipate potential expansions as the demand grows.. And I think where interest is starting to pick up here in Canada, that demand is a real possibly, so a challenge linked to that is for a producer to figure out to moderate the interest & demand they create with the volume they're able to produce.

Last year I didn't have a greenhouse and I've noticed an absolutely dramatic difference in the health and production of those plants and the ones I grew this year in the greenhouse - so our climate is most definitely a factor. To really stand a chance, I believe, in our climate you certainly need to grow in greenhouses. Growing outside might produce some fairly positive results, but it'd be a hefty investment in terms of soil and plant feed compared to growing in containers in the greenhouse - once you factor in the shorter season, dealing with more vermin/pests and most certainly the issue of weeds, etc.

So I think, just from my own experience, that the biggest issue isn't so much about too much or too little demand, but rather about the ability (both in terms of space and finances) of even just reaching the size to be able to produce enough to produce larger volumes - and maybe the even the ability to grow year round.. But once you're there, you're pretty much golden since the market is still pretty new & fresh and only just beginning to really grow.

Thanks for chiming in SHC  I appreciate it.  Now let talk in some hypotheticals.  Assume you have four acres of usable farmable land and a season that lasts from May to October.  This space could easily accommodate a couple of very large commercial style green houses for year round production as well as in ground planting for summer.  If we allocate one acre for green house and three to in ground this should allow for ~2500 green housed plants and ~15,000 in ground.  Given a conservative estimate of one pound harvested from each plant for the summer months and half pound per plant from the winter green house harvest would put the yearly harvest at just under 20,000 pounds.  It is feasible to move 20,000 pounds of peppers in Canada? 

The_DoGMaN said:
It is feasible to move 20,000 pounds of peppers in Canada? 

Sure!  And whatever you can't sell fresh you can dehydrate and sell later on.  Farmers markets are one of the first things to come to mind, but you've already investigated the supply side for restaurants and bars so there's another avenue.  Plenty of hot sauce producers can/will contract grows - though I don't know if they contract by acre or by bushel or whatever.  

Picking the varieties to grow will be tricky.  Supers are hot right now (see what I did there?!) but which ones sell the most?  What's the new cool color that gains popularity this year?  Rather than predict the unknown grow what you like and a good range of mild to wild, take copious notes of what plants do well and those that don't, and expand your operation as demand requires.  The greenhouse will hold the consistent sellers and the open fields will cover the rest of your needs.  

And if it fizzles then you can still grow a bunch of food in the greenhouses and they pay themselves off that way.  :) 

I have to agree with SmokenFire's response. :)

Hot sauce producers easily go through pounds of pods at a time - and that's even the smallest of them. Over on Twitter I've slowly been building up a following mostly just by posting my progress in learning & growing and posting plenty of photos and along the way I've had several different hot sauce makers contact me from different parts of Canada. I've communicated back and forth especially with one fellow here in Nova Scotia who's provided me with some good advice on greenhouses & the like along the way and were we to live closer he'd probably be one of my first clients since he said he sometimes doesn't manage to grow enough to fulfill his needs. :)

And then there is the farmer's markets, as SmokenFire mentioned. In a setting like that you could probably easily sell fresh peppers - whether they're mild, hot or even super hot there's bound to be people looking or willing to give them a shot. And those types of markets often result in repeat customers once they're hooked and know that that's a place where they'll be able to easily find you. Unfortunately for me, unless I somehow manage to upgrade to producing year round, I'm not really eligible for the Farmer's Market in my county because they expect enough product to fill a table each and every weekend of the market which spans from the Spring and into the Fall... With the way peppers grow up here it isn't until mid-to-late Summer and into the Fall that I start seeing any really substantial results.

For me, ideally, I'd like to be reach the point of having commercial/industrial size greenhouses structured to function year round, utilizing clean energy (i.e. wind for power and solar for heat) and then outside focus my efforts towards a range of produce - mild peppers, carrots, turnips, tomatoes, tomatilos, lettuce, etc. It'd be nice to do it this way so that peppers would be the focus & fuel of my business and the rest could be a supplement that would also allow me to have my own personal supply of produce -and- to help out those in need.

And I also agree with Smoken' sentiment on how to go about deciding on what varieties to grow.. This year I made initial decision to aim towards having a variety of colours in my mix, while still focusing towards "super hots" (after all - look at my name lol). As the year progressed I ended up broadening my horizons to includes C. Galapagoense, a couple Baccatum's, and some other mild-to-hot varieties (i.e. Habanero, Hungarian Wax, Hot Lemon, Time Bomb, etc) as I received seeds from some people and bought seedlings from local garden centers & other places... I've ended up with a nearly equal mix of mild and super hot varieties and I've gotten requests (i.e. from the bar I sold the White Ghosts too) to look at growing Bell's & the like in the future.

I wonder where the Canadian hot sauce companies are currently getting their pods from?  Is it mainly a GYO?  Do they source from the USA?  Or is there some where that I don't know about?

The_DoGMaN said:
I wonder where the Canadian hot sauce companies are currently getting their pods from?  Is it mainly a GYO?  Do they source from the USA?  Or is there some where that I don't know about?

Well I know of at least one hot sauce producer in Prince Edward Island that I originally discovered by spotting one or two of his products at a local Sobeys a year or two ago. Since first discovering his products his product line has definitely expanded and so has the variety of products his offers. If you take a look at his website he indicates that he produces his own - http://www.maritimemadness.com/our-chile-gardens.php

I've only tried a couple of his sauces, so far, but I've enjoyed them. The last I tried is a BBQ-flavored one that has a touch of actual Newfoundland Screech in it. :)

One thing thats good, solar cells have come down in price especially if you make your own. Was looking into that and you can buy 50pack of cells to solder together and make panels :)

In Ontario we have Mucci farms and Nature Fresh that I am aware of.  Both grow some super hots but seem to deal mainly with grocery chains and the selection is VERY limited.  I think there is another some where near London Ontario that I can't think of the name offhand.  In my area I would have to drive at least an hour to find fresh pods and I don't know what kind of volume they could do.  There is a greenhouse in Toronto that has started selling some 7pots and bhuts but again I don't know what kind of volume.  I live in what is call the "greenbelt"  where a lot of tender fruit and vineyards are.  We have a pretty decent growing season here as well as soil conditions.  

Back