• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

Retirement? Well, you deserve it Scott. And those hobbies, you'll make it happen judging by the hard work so far. Enjoy a bit longer days from now on :dance:
That Maloof rocker will come handy in about 20 years or so, sou you have time to conquer that.

tsurrie said:
Retirement? Well, you deserve it Scott. And those hobbies, you'll make it happen judging by the hard work so far. Enjoy a bit longer days from now on :dance:
That Maloof rocker will come handy in about 20 years or so, sou you have time to conquer that.

Thanks Uros!

I'm ready for the time to do what I want to ;)

Mr.joe said:
Sounds like more work than a job. Are you sure you wanna retire? I'll look up the maloof rocker now

Hi Joe,

I want to retire to do what I want do. I have plenty to fill my days, and work it may be, but it will be on my schedule. I like to keep moving and stay busy being productive. The first good thing will be sleeping past 4:15 AM!  #2 is no more answering to 'I need (want) this requests".

Devv said:
I'm still struggling with growing peppers here in this hot climate. I've said for the 4 years no more running them until the frosts that usually show up in late Dec. I guess larger plants come dirt day, grab the spring harvest and pull them ;)

There's gotta be a way Scott. It's hot and dry here. Everything lived to see October and I'm pulling 50 pounds a week from my jungle

Devv said:

Hi Joe,

I want to retire to do what I want do. I have plenty to fill my days, and work it may be, but it will be on my schedule. I like to keep moving and stay busy being productive. The first good thing will be sleeping past 4:15 AM!  #2 is no more answering to 'I need (want) this requests".

That's exactly what it's all about. For me, it's no less work and no more sleep but I do what I want to do, when I want to do it.
I end up working longer and harder and still get up at 4 while struggling to stay awake at night to watch the news and Colbert abuse Trump on the late show. Hey, it's a rough life but somebody's gotta do it.

Congrats! Glad to know you're gonna be doing it too.

Devv said:

Hi Joe,

Does the Mrs. know about #2 ?[emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWB said:

There's gotta be a way Scott. It's hot and dry here. Everything lived to see October and I'm pulling 50 pounds a week from my jungle

So here's my typical year:

Get the 12-18" plants in the dirt around March 15th if the 10 day looks good. March 1st is usually too early, it just set them back. Tomatoes go in March 1st, they are done by the beginning of June. Any maters on the vine never get past golf ball size. The peppers still are going strong with what has already set. But nothing else sets, except some of the Annuums and Baccatums. Forget the Chinense. Actually the Bac's do the best here.

Here's a pic of one of Paul's purple crosses from 5-26:

287.jpg

Once I picked those pods I have yet to have another set. The temps get to mid to high 90's and they just sit there. We just got the cooler temps this week. When the temps are 75°+ at night (closer to 80°) and 95°+ every day they may flower but won't set fruit. I'm talking 8-9 hours of the high temps (11am to 7-8PM) . The Annuums will set but the pods are so tiny I just snip them off...like marble sized Jalapenos. from a plant that looked like this on the same day.

283.jpg

I use 30% and 40% sunshade, so I'm at a loss..

DWB said:

That's exactly what it's all about. For me, it's no less work and no more sleep but I do what I want to do, when I want to do it.
I end up working longer and harder and still get up at 4 while struggling to stay awake at night to watch the news and Colbert abuse Trump on the late show. Hey, it's a rough life but somebody's gotta do it.

Congrats! Glad to know you're gonna be doing it too.

Thanks Buddy!

The sleep thing will be determined by the day plan ;)  I do have to plan for the daily rehab exercises I do so I can get through the day pain free. All that fun stuff like falling off the dirt bike doing 3rd gear wheelies and such never goes away. 25 years of hard labor didn't help either...LOL I actually like to get up sore from the day before. It let's me know I'm still in the game.

This next grow season I'll most definitely track the temps as the summer rolls in. I'd love to compare notes.

PtMD989 said:
Does the Mrs. know about #2 ?[emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah! We have a unique relationship. I met LB when I was 16, 45 years later we're ready for our 40th wedding anniversary come December. She asks for it, I'm there. And it goes both ways. Hard work has my knees iffy, she gets in there and weeds, picks and processes. I do the prep and growing. I help her cook, she helps me paint. I help her clean and wax her ride, she helps me clean and wax mine. She wanted more room and a kitchen redo. I added the square footage, built her a wash room, and built the cabinets from scratch, which reminds me. I still have to fill that change order she issued just when I thought I was done..LOL 

Devv said:

So here's my typical year:

Get the 12-18" plants in the dirt around March 15th if the 10 day looks good. March 1st is usually too early, it just set them back. Tomatoes go in March 1st, they are done by the beginning of June. Any maters on the vine never get past golf ball size. The peppers still are going strong with what has already set. But nothing else sets, except some of the Annuums and Baccatums. Forget the Chinense. Actually the Bac's do the best here.

Here's a pic of one of Paul's purple crosses from 5-26:

Once I picked those pods I have yet to have another set. The temps get to mid to high 90's and they just sit there. We just got the cooler temps this week. When the temps are 75°+ at night (closer to 80°) and 95°+ every day they may flower but won't set fruit. I'm talking 8-9 hours of the high temps (11am to 7-8PM) . The Annuums will set but the pods are so tiny I just snip them off...like marble sized Jalapenos. from a plant that looked like this on the same day.

I use 30% and 40% sunshade, so I'm at a loss..

It's getting to be time I start trying a little harder to figure out what has happened this year in my pepper patch. I have some ideas and I'll start posting up some things in my grow log before too long. I hope you can help me sort out some answers that may help all of us.

I did plant a few annuums  but they were swallowed up by the chinense and literally disappeared.

It's still growing, flowering and making baby peppers like crazy. This is a south side area between two rows that has completely filled with new growth. Walkway clearing is an ongoing project but it's like trying to sweep the sun off the sidewalk. I've given up in areas like this that will obviously produce a lot.

K2Dk4bJ.jpg

DWB said:

It's getting to be time I start trying a little harder to figure out what has happened this year in my pepper patch. I have some ideas and I'll start posting up some things in my grow log before too long. I hope you can help me sort out some answers that may help all of us.

I did plant a few annuums  but they were swallowed up by the chinense and literally disappeared.

It's still growing, flowering and making baby peppers like crazy. This is a south side area between two rows that has completely filled with new growth. Walkway clearing is an ongoing project but it's like trying to sweep the sun off the sidewalk. I've given up in areas like this that will obviously produce a lot.

K2Dk4bJ.jpg

I don't know what you did. But you did it right! Be it perfect nutrients, and perfect climate, which I would say came together this season for sure. Now to do it again, then you got the program dialed in. Then write a book ;)

This morning was 52°, it was like heaven.  I hit the plants with some nutes ala Paul. Alaska fish and MorBloom.

Went to town and bought the materials to support the sunshade on the new garden addition. Check this out, while loading the sackcrete the kid (maybe 22) was picking up 2 80lb sacks at a time. Reminds me of the time another 'kid' put 2 5 gallon pails of hydraulic fluid into the bed of my truck without lowering the tailgate, he just raised them up (both at the same time) and placed them into my 4x4, like they weighed 5 pounds. Of course I warned them both, that they're in for the rude awaking of blowing up something. Geeze, how do I know that?

Someone needs to put some pics up.... :rolleyes:

77° here at 5 am. The highly touted cold front passed at noon with a temp drop to 73 and maybe a millimeter of rain. Now it's down to 67°. I can't complain. It hasn't been this cold since early May.

Everybody who's seen the pepper patch says it's a freak of nature. I stay in touch with the head of the Auburn plant diagnostic lab and she doesn't know what to think of it. She wants to do analysis later on and maybe see how it happened but it has to be about a jungle-ized microclimate. High humidity, altered dewpoints, transpirational and evaporative cooling and one hell of a root system.

Devv said:

Hi Joe,

Nothing wrong with any of that. (As long as your out of bed before 4:30 am of course) I think keeping busy doing almost anything is very important. I'm always concerned when guys retire and just wanna sit. Gotta keep the body and mind active, just not too active.

DWB said:
77° here at 5 am. The highly touted cold front passed at noon with a temp drop to 73 and maybe a millimeter of rain. Now it's down to 67°. I can't complain. It hasn't been this cold since early May.

Everybody who's seen the pepper patch says it's a freak of nature. I stay in touch with the head of the Auburn plant diagnostic lab and she doesn't know what to think of it. She wants to do analysis later on and maybe see how it happened but it has to be about a jungle-ized microclimate. High humidity, altered dewpoints, transpirational and evaporative cooling and one hell of a root system.
Well it definitely impressed me, I can assure you my sad little plants don't look like yours. Whether you got lucky or more than likely knew what you were doing, you did it right.

DWB said:

I agree with the microclimate idea, I've seen oats at this place I used to hunt at get as tall as the back of ANY doe and all you could see is the neck up. Remember when Popeye ate the spinach and it was way long, each bite, the ends sticking out of his mouth got shorter. That's what it looked like that year when the deer ate the oats. I hunted there 13 years and saw that only once. Sometimes everything just comes together. ;)

And then there's deep South Tejas...LOL :confused:

Mr.joe said:
Nothing wrong with any of that. (As long as your out of bed before 4:30 am of course) I think keeping busy doing almost anything is very important. I'm always concerned when guys retire and just wanna sit. Gotta keep the body and mind active, just not too active.

Hmmmm, I see a few sleep ins before I see anymore 4 anything AM's :shh: 

I'll have to figure out a whole new schedule. 12 more work days!

Back