• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

Devv said:

Thanks Paul,

I will call TRS Monday to get the retirement paperwork in the works. Funny thing, well kinda...the school board is voting on a 7% of mid-point in the pay scale across the board raise. That's over 5K a year for me, to late, I'm going anyways. Though it would have really helped if this happened 5 years ago..

As for the white pods, I've been saving seeds, and they are the whitest pods I've ever grown. I gave up on the ones I planted and reused the pots for maters, and one day I had purple seedlings mixed in with the maters. Needless to say I grew them out, and I'm glad I did!

Congrats on the retirement [emoji106][emoji322][emoji322][emoji1634]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Well, that kinda sucks aboot your garlic [emoji15]. Could you save any of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I wan't too pleased. It had been in the bin with the Soldier fly larva all week, they're de-composers,and kinda nasty.

Devv said:

Enjoy!

And the Italian sauce is a must do. One can use it for Spaghetti, chicken or veal cutlet parma, meatball heros, stuffed shells, Lasagna, Calzone/Stromboli, the list goes on....And now, can you guess my heritage?

i just ate breakfast and now you're making me hungry again. lol

sounds like the best heritage to have for food. ;)   reminds me of the youtube channel of the Italian grandmother, the best episode was where she made what looked to be  50 gallons of tomato sauce.  i was thinking to myself does she want to adopt another grandson.  :lol: 

BDASPNY said:

i just ate breakfast and now you're making me hungry again. lol

sounds like the best heritage to have for food. ;)   reminds me of the youtube channel of the Italian grandmother, the best episode was where she made what looked to be  50 gallons of tomato sauce.  i was thinking to myself does she want to adopt another grandson.  :lol:

Hah!

I'm always down for good food ;)  I grew up in New York, so good food is everywhere, except for good Mexican food. That now, they have down, here in Tejas. That sauce recipe is from my Grandfather, he came to the US from Italy in 1917 via Ellis Island. We used to go to his house every so often on a weekend and he always had the red sauce going and served it with Rigatoni. We make it in 16 quart batches and the Grandkids love it, as I do :P
Some pics from today:

345.jpg

An Aji Amarillo that's almost as tall as me, with a struggling B-Goat below. The Aji has produced a nice amount of pod this season.

346.jpg

347.jpg

2 of the Growdown "nots". I started pulling some plants today (don't hate me) because we have tons of produce and the garden needs a break (so do I). So, these are gone.

349.jpg

PDN x Bonda cross (purple) from Paul.

353.jpg

354.jpg

Hope this post flies..

I'd say that is an understatement, Scott! Beautiful harvest pics...

...especially all those violet 'snacking' pods   :rofl:

Thanks Gentlemen!

So far we made 2 sauces:

The first is from a recipe Pic1 sent me:

365.jpg

It's a mild salsa that everyone can eat

Here's the recipe:

10 pounds of plum tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped  --- 5--

3 large yellow onions, chopped--- 2 small

2 celery stalks, peeled and finely diced ---1

2 green bell peppers, chopped into 1/4 inch dice---1

2 red bell peppers, chopped into 1/4 inch dice----1

6 jalapenos, finely diced---3

4 serranos, finely diced

1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped

1/4 c. cider vinegar  ---1/8

2 tbsp sugar----1

salt to taste, about 2 tbsp----1

a few grinds of black pepper

powdered citric acid or lemon juice to stabilize pH

We made a half batch and the numbers to the right are for that purpose. We didn't have and Serrano peppers and used LO Thai as a substitute. and then added about 1/3 of one of those red P.Dreadie crosses to bring to the heat up a notch.

366.jpg

There were 4 :P  This is a multi pepper puree, made with many pepper types, both hot and sweet. This sauce, not face melting hot, or LB won't use it :shh:

We froze a bunch and gave a bunch away today to some coworkers that love the heat.

Well...I dug this up from 4 pages deep. There simply hasn't been a reason to post as the garden has been locked in hella heat. That and I've been busy getting my ducks in a row for Halloween, my last day at work. Believe it or not, there is some stress in hanging it up after 47 years of full time in the work force. So I sit here sipping a stiff rum&coke, and I realize WTF ;) Time to move forward. I tilled up a 15x40 area just South of the garden. It used to be the garden before LB wanted a pool. I had to water it for 2 days before the tiller would go down below 2"s (drought). I was pleasantly surprised at the soil, nice and rich (looking), not sand, which is what we started with. The idea is half the garden for spring, the other half for fall, and rotate. Now I have to fence it. I'll have time soon!

I still have about 10 plants going, and I need to takes some pics. But, they haven't changed much since June. Perhaps (uh, yeah)  they are looking a bit sadder after the 100°+ run we had here for who knows how many days.

Here's the 10 day:

385.jpg

The sunshades come off the rest of the plants and hopefully some pod setting will happen :rolleyes: Then the ripening clock starts...

Wish me luck!

Yeah, Scott, congrats on getting down to the
wire in the retirement race. I hope those last
ten plants ripen up a ton of pods for you!

Congrats on retirement, I'm still at a point when that is a distant dream. Any big plans to keep yourself busy?Hopefully the plants all find a happy spot and the weather cooperates. No matter what we always want the weather to do something else. It's starting to cool off here and now I'm afraid winter will come before I get any big harvests. Since the beginning I've said this year was just a practice run either way.

PaulG said:
Yeah, Scott, congrats on getting down to the
wire in the retirement race. I hope those last
ten plants ripen up a ton of pods for you!

Thanks Paul!

3 are the PDN crosses you sent the seeds for. The Purples have quite a number of flowers, and with the cool front I'm hoping for some loading up like they did in the spring. The White has had a constant Aphid issue. Been hitting it both ways, kill the ants with an organic solution (Terro), and Neem oil on the plants. Treated the plants again yesterday and today they got a nice blast of water. We shall see ;)

Mr.joe said:
Congrats on retirement, I'm still at a point when that is a distant dream. Any big plans to keep yourself busy?Hopefully the plants all find a happy spot and the weather cooperates. No matter what we always want the weather to do something else. It's starting to cool off here and now I'm afraid winter will come before I get any big harvests. Since the beginning I've said this year was just a practice run either way.

Thanks Joe!

I feel like a lame duck politician; my replacement has been hired ;)

Goals are to finish painting the house, shop, and out buildings. Trim the Live Oaks on the 20 acres. Get back into wood working, I make Mesquite furniture. I cut the logs into boards and go from there. Google the "Maloof rocker", I want to conquer that. I also want to get back into building guitars. All this has to be squeezed in around the gardening too :shh:

I'm still struggling with growing peppers here in this hot climate. I've said for the 4 years no more running them until the frosts that usually show up in late Dec. I guess larger plants come dirt day, grab the spring harvest and pull them ;)

Back