• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv: Someday, I'll get this right, South Tejas Growing

Well I'm way behind this season. Hopefully I can do better....no guarantees!

I'm still trying to figure out this "new normal", my brother said it took him a full year.

Any way:

Last year, could be the year before as they all seem to meld together now :rolleyes:  I cleared the Crepe Myrtle trees that were invading the garden root-wise. That spot WAS the original garden 31 years ago.

12.jpg

Now that area looks like this:

21.jpg

I added 600 square feet to the garden, the soil is pretty darned saweet! Back then I added 16 yards of Black Gumbo to help with the drainage. Then LB wanted a pool, which is now gone. Garden reclaimed! The goal is to have a crop rotation so we can keep diseases at bay, as I mainly used the 1,600 sf fenced area for night shades.

During the off season I made some Bio Char. I need to take pics of the new kiln I made, that will come later.

Crunched char. I use the tractor to crush it on the driveway, it's laid on an old sheet to make it easier to pick up.

13.jpg

I use the old chipper-shredder to grind it. First I wet it so the dust isn't an issue.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Then I grind all this, and this is just a sample of what gets ground.

16.jpg

Then it rests here until we add it to the soil.

41.jpg

HeatMiser said:

Nice!

It's good to get that rotation going. Hard to go back to store-bought lettuce. In my case, my 2ft T5HO fixture hosting 4 bulbs was 13" above the net cups and held there until harvest. I don't know if this might be dependent on the variety being grown, but that was the sweet spot. You probably weren't that far off at 12" - would be interesting to see what you think about the T8s.
We have Romaine and Bibb Lettuce growing. The Bibb lettuce objected to the T5. I only switched them out about 4 days ago, and I'm thinking--hoping it was the thing to do.
Time will tell. The T8s have the same color range 6,500k, but a much lower intensity..

Mr.joe said:
I tried kratky lettuce one time this winter. I was using my 4 foot 6 bulb t5 at probably 2 foot and had no issues with burning. Maybe I should grow more.
Well the COVID convinced us. I switched lights for a few reasons. I had the T8 array, and did not have the room, without restructuring that shelf.

I took the easy way out :D

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Nice, I’ll have to start getting creative with all the varieties like you have. I hear that, I can never consume my supply I’d probably die  :rofl:  :liar:
No, you would just have a straight pipe from
your mouth to your anus     :onfire:     :twisted:

Devv said:
Poblano peppers are coming in, time for Chilli Relleno! I have a good recipe @ http://www.devtex.net/recipe.html
Also my Grandfathers Italian red sauce recipe that's been in the family since before I born.

214.jpg

Picked a few..bottom left 2 peppers are from last years Red P. Dreadie. 2 completely different phenos.
Could those be TT and PT in the upper right corner?

215.jpg

So this is new for me, starting peppers in May. Seeds from Paul, ChiliTepin. Hope I spelled it correctly ;)

Thanks Paul!
Original seeds came from Chili Pepper Institute,
If those are from the pods I just sent you.
Labeled Chiltepin.  Great potential there,
my friend!

Devv said:
Things have been quite busy in the garden, with harvesting/processing. That and we've been getting a little rain here and there.

We've been putting up corn, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic.

I took a few pics this morning:

221.jpg

The Haskorea has been throwing a few ripe pods here and there...
I see Bryan Haskoreaseed has passed by!

222.jpg

Looks like you have a good chance, Scott!

226.jpg

Trippaul Threat White is making some pods. The Purple plants produce more fruit.
Hey, bud, been too long since I stopped by.
Lots happening here!

That TTW looks like a great plant. 

Devv said:
Things have been quite busy in the garden, with harvesting/processing. That and we've been getting a little rain here and there.

We've been putting up corn, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic.

I took a few pics this morning:

221.jpg

The Haskorea has been throwing a few ripe pods here and there...

222.jpg

Hoping for some black seeded pods ;)

226.jpg
Now that you have the flowers the pods should be coming shortly.

Some pics..

240.jpg

LB and I wound up parked at the curb service grocery next to the wife of a guy who usually gets my overflow plants. I just charge him for the materials. I asked her how the plants were, her response was "the deer ate them".
So when we got home I pulled a few for him.

241.jpg

242.jpg

Today's Thunder pull. 2 shots to catch the wonderful colors in different light.

246.jpg

A couple of TTW pods, some Haskorea, and a few F2 Red P. Dreadie crosses.

243.jpg

Charli dog

244.jpg

Marli, Charli's sis. Marli is a fantastic watch dog. Charli is the hunter; she will run around looking up for hours AND barking when she spies a Squirrel in a tree.

That's when I put the shock collar on her. Beep mode is enough to get her to shut the hell up..LOL

Devv said:
Some pics..

240.jpg

LB and I wound up parked at the curb service grocery next to the wife of a guy who usually gets my overflow plants. I just charge him for the materials. I asked her how the plants were, her response was "the deer ate them".
So when we got home I pulled a few for him.

241.jpg

242.jpg

Today's Thunder pull. 2 shots to catch the wonderful colors in different light.

246.jpg

A couple of TTW pods, some Haskorea, and a few F2 Red P. Dreadie crosses.
Pods are looking heavenly Devv, if your outside temps aren't quite hot enough, those pods for sure are!

Haskorea also looking really good, hows the flavor on those? And keeping my fingers crossed for the Rocoto flowers to set, there's definitely plenty of them for a possible good harvest!

Seems like you making good use of the extra time you got these days, it's been great to watch! And congrats on going down the hydro trail a little, I love the simplicity of it once you get over the initial threshold! :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Wow, Scott!!! Noice!!!!
That sugar rush creme (red) looks identical to an SB7J! Crazy!

Also.........
Orange dreadies?????? I must have those. Lol. Could you send seeds for those this way, sometime, please? I have many things I can send you!!!

Does LB like the haskorea, or too hot? So far, haskorea and Antep have been too hot for Tonie.

German pink coming along???

I have a new one I'm excited about: KBX Tomato
a73f405b4d6f2525547c43f194f0d5e3.jpg

tomato-kbx.jpg

KBX-tomato-2-pepper-joes_600x.jpg

Very nice!!! Great work!!!!

lespaulde said:
Pods are looking heavenly Devv, if your outside temps aren't quite hot enough, those pods for sure are!

Haskorea also looking really good, hows the flavor on those? And keeping my fingers crossed for the Rocoto flowers to set, there's definitely plenty of them for a possible good harvest!

Seems like you making good use of the extra time you got these days, it's been great to watch! And congrats on going down the hydro trail a little, I love the simplicity of it once you get over the initial threshold! :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Thanks LP!

LB and I have been so busy processing produce that I really haven't tasted much. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, Onions, Corn, and Garlic all come due this time of the year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the Rocoto. I looked at it today and I see some promise! No dropped flowers== a good sign ;)

I still seem to not have enough time to do everything I want to. I guess part of it is me, still figuring out this new life :rolleyes: The hydro is going well!
I'm still sorting out the lighting. Bibb lettuce burns under the T5, Romaine hates the T8...so far no casualties..LOL

Bhuter said:
Wow, Scott!!! Noice!!!!
That sugar rush creme (red) looks identical to an SB7J! Crazy!

Also.........
Orange dreadies?????? I must have those. Lol. Could you send seeds for those this way, sometime, please? I have many things I can send you!!!

Does LB like the haskorea, or too hot? So far, haskorea and Antep have been too hot for Tonie.

German pink coming along???

I have a new one I'm excited about: KBX Tomato
a73f405b4d6f2525547c43f194f0d5e3.jpg

tomato-kbx.jpg

KBX-tomato-2-pepper-joes_600x.jpg

Very nice!!! Great work!!!!

Thanks Adam!

I've been saving seeds and will get some out to you, I have a note on my desk.
Regarding the Haskorea, so far they all have went to the dehydrator. This time of year is crazy. We have 3 tables setup for Tomatoes, Onions, Garlic, and Potatoes.
They're all full, plus What's outside on the porch tables..LOL

The German Pink are coming along. Here we get 3-5 maters per plant, and they get huge! LB has a another new favorite. The Kumato. Bryan (PtMD989) sent us some seeds, they grow like crazy!
I never heard of the KBX? How's the flavor?

HeatMiser said:

Man, those pods look amazing! The other ones do too, but these ones stand out so much that my wife said they look great too! Great job...
Thanks HM!

I feel the credit goes to PaulG. He came up with the cross. The Purple Thunder plants are super hardy and super productive. Funny how most of the crosses out perform their parents..

Back