• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv: Someday, I'll get this right, South Tejas Growing

Well I'm way behind this season. Hopefully I can do better....no guarantees!

I'm still trying to figure out this "new normal", my brother said it took him a full year.

Any way:

Last year, could be the year before as they all seem to meld together now :rolleyes:  I cleared the Crepe Myrtle trees that were invading the garden root-wise. That spot WAS the original garden 31 years ago.

12.jpg

Now that area looks like this:

21.jpg

I added 600 square feet to the garden, the soil is pretty darned saweet! Back then I added 16 yards of Black Gumbo to help with the drainage. Then LB wanted a pool, which is now gone. Garden reclaimed! The goal is to have a crop rotation so we can keep diseases at bay, as I mainly used the 1,600 sf fenced area for night shades.

During the off season I made some Bio Char. I need to take pics of the new kiln I made, that will come later.

Crunched char. I use the tractor to crush it on the driveway, it's laid on an old sheet to make it easier to pick up.

13.jpg

I use the old chipper-shredder to grind it. First I wet it so the dust isn't an issue.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Then I grind all this, and this is just a sample of what gets ground.

16.jpg

Then it rests here until we add it to the soil.

41.jpg

"A good year for sure! Pantries are full!"

What a bountiful year you're having Sevv. Incredible harvest. When it's all said and done, I'd love to see a photo of the "Pantries" lol. That has got to be impressive as well.

Mildfruit said:
"Someday ill get this right" 
Seems like that day have come  ;)  Wonderful harvest Devv! Are you making sauce from all those peppers? 
Thanks MF!
Yes, making sauces, but later. For now we're freezing as the workload has been nuts. We have so many mason jars of powder now it's insane ;)

DownRiver said:
"A good year for sure! Pantries are full!"

What a bountiful year you're having Sevv. Incredible harvest. When it's all said and done, I'd love to see a photo of the "Pantries" lol. That has got to be impressive as well.
Thanks DR!  Will do, we're currently out of space and 12 quarts are on the counter..LOL

Today was another day picking, we went and delivered 15+ pounds of tomatoes, and a gallon bag of peppers to the local food pantry. I did warn about the heat level..LOL
I've been saying for years that I wanted to do this, finally we could this year.

Mr.joe said:
Donating the produce is a great idea and very generous of you
Hi Joe,

Thanks, we have the grow space and being we are 100% organic we always plant extra. The critters always impact the production. This year was crazy, and everything did super well.

I love bringing people produce. I'm glad I'm not a farmer, I would go broke..LOL

Back