• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

maximumcapsicum said:
Got me thinkin about those cover crops. Sounds like a really good idea, especially for pest control. Pests suck, but they go easier on peppers than on other crops.

Love the chipper. I bet you're having fun!

Cover crops have so many benefits, you know "feed the soil"!

Yeah, new toy and all ;)

Once the main part is done the work will become more enjoyable. It will done in batches versus the piles I started with...

OCD Chilehead said:
What a great machine. How big of branches can you feed her. That could make some nice RCW. I bet pretty soon you'll run out of stuff to shred and be looking for material.LOL. I wonder if shredding the peppers will create a natural pest deterrent. Very nice piece of equipment Scott. Temps here shot back up to 100 here today.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Chuck

That's the new truck I've been wanting...LOL Mines 11 in October, but I ran the last one 17 years. ;)

It will accept up to 3" branches. I have 3 trees, big trees to grind.

I threw 10lb's of hab's in the mulch pile that freezer burned, one whiff of that taught me to hold my breath!

Roguejim said:
You need a pool, Scott.

Got one ;) Just an above ground. When it's this hot we have to wait for dusk because the of bees. They think it's theirs...

maximumcapsicum said:
Shame those pods freezer burned. I have been worried about that. I need to get saucing before it becomes an issue, lol. 

Well at least it made room for this seasons picks. At the rate I'm going I'll have too many again this winter.

OCD Chilehead said:
WooHoo. 100 pages. What a glog. You, Rick, and Adam have awesome Glogs this year.

Thanks Chuck,

It's been a busy year for sure!

I had to work on the chipper again today, tightened the belt again and greased the bearings. Oil looked good.

Here's a shot down the shredder.

1197.jpg

That slot on the top is the chipper discharge. So branches get chipped and shredded.

1198.jpg

Shredded about 25% of the leaf pile. This machine has balz, two people could have been adding material, it just hammers it out. Makes a lot of dust, even with my Darth Vador respirator I had to back away and wait for it to clear.

Did that for close to two hours, dang it's hot for this kind of work.

Jim, I took your advise and dove in the pool ;)

1199.jpg

The Bishops Crown are pretty loaded still.

1200.jpg

MoA's are still MoAing :party:

1201.jpg

The JA Hab under the sunshade threw some nice large pods this round.

1202.jpg

Looks painful!

1204.jpg

Plenty of ripe pods still!

1203.jpg

1205.jpg

Today's pull. Much larger than I thought it would be!

Thanks for reading!

Jeff H said:
Scott, Gratz on 100 pages bud.

That chipper looks like the perfect addition to your tool collection. Makes me want one.

Nice that you are still getting such big pulls with the temps over 100.

Thanks Jeff,

I do love tools and equipment that makes life easier ;)

What's on there is ripening nicely despite the heat which has been brutal, triple digits again today. They plants were watered yesterday and look horrible, but the days are getting shorter, so cooler weather is in sight!

PeriPeri said:
That is an amazing koleidescope of chillies and colour! Nice one buddy!

Thanks Lourens,

Mother nature blessed the season early on, but she's not happy now...LOL

OCD Chilehead said:
Man that shredder is mean looking. Heavy duty. That's a perfect ship size. It will compost fast. Holy cow what a pull. Nice MOA.

Thanks Chuck,

The MoA's are finally doing their thing, one is putting out most of the pods.

I'm tickled with the shredders performance, I probably spent twice what I wanted too. But I did the research and it's stout for a home unit, and I intend on using it a lot this fall!

randyp said:
   Luv that pic Scott.It is a who's,who's of different peppers. ;)

Thanks Randy,

Found a lot of varieties that we're going to grow again next year for sure!

Solem22 said:
Daaaang 100 pages in August! Solid. Nice pull there. Glad to see the heat isn't slowing down all the pod production.

Thanks,

Well the heat stopped new production, but what's on the plants already are doing OK. We had a cooler spring and that really helped!

stickman said:
Congrats on a stellar year Scott! A couple of gallons of freezer-burnt Habs is a small loss after looking at your most recent pulls... :)

Thanks Rick,

It has been a good year the freezer, is filling up fast. And I'm sharing the pain at work. We have quite a few chilliheads there, and always finding more. I enjoy the stories they tell me ;)

PIC 1 said:
Plenty of pods, yet !.....Great looking chipper......and congrats on the 100 page hit. ....... :onfire:

Stellar yar so far, and I can see your wheels are tuning to get a jump on next season.

I really enjoyed the well  rounded reading material in this glog.....the best !

Thanks Greg,

Yes, I have plans to get the soil back in shape. I can't grow 9 months plus a year (like last year) and expect to have decent soil. The raised beds will host the fall garden after some amendments while the main garden gets a well deserved rest and rehab. ;)

wahlee76 said:
That's a lot of peppers you've got there. Should get you through the winter :P

Thanks Wally,

I think we're good to go for the winter ;)

Verivus said:
Wow, very nice haul of peppers there! Looking at your photos, you're going to be swimming in them pretty soon!

Thanks,

Swimming yes, I'm thinking more like drowning...LOL

Great stuff Devv! Loving the chipper and pod shots.. looks like you could get some good hardwood chips out of that thing. Is it adjustable for different chip sizes?

Loving the pod shots as always ... tell me the JA habs ... are they worth growing? I have some seeds for them but I ended up growing Trinidad red habeneros

Trippa said:
Great stuff Devv! Loving the chipper and pod shots.. looks like you could get some good hardwood chips out of that thing. Is it adjustable for different chip sizes?

Loving the pod shots as always ... tell me the JA habs ... are they worth growing? I have some seeds for them but I ended up growing Trinidad red habeneros

Thanks Tristen,

The JA Habs are the best Hab pod I've tasted so far, they are worth a shot to see if they please the palate.

The chipper just has one size, and it's small, smaller then I expected. Which is good, as the material will break down easier.

Trippa said:
I wonder if you will get any self seeding habs from the mulched frozen pods??
 Oh, I'm sure I will, but they will not make it until spring. I was thinking that myself, 10lb's of pods, plus all the bug damaged ones have went into the mulch pile. I'll call it cover crop ;)

Scott, you don't gear down even when you gear down!  With the size of your garden that shredder will be so useful for you.

Congratulations on 2000 posts and...

...101 pages!

Back