• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Looking great Scott, those babies are coming along nicely. I like your garden area. Do you use the big frames for Shade cloth when it get hot? Guess you could run sprinkler hose along there too.

I miss Texas :(

but I love the grow season in Florida :) and I win most all Chili cookoff's  :rofl:

Scotty my friend. Plants and plot are coming along superbly. Really liking the looks of the green hornet and naga x brain . I pray that it(green hornet )  ripens like it's momma  :pray:

I am sure your plants will have no problem with the cold . As healthy as they look it will take a long hard freeze to hurt them babies. 

How is Otis/Odie  doing? 

Keep em green especially the green hornet  :cool:

capsidadburn said:
I just finished my haul indoors!  Congrats on the pods!  Your season will be a must watch for many here!  Those hoop houses are killer as well as those Peach blooms.

Have a great week Scott!
Thanks Mike!

A few more weeks and the hauling is done here, still have to harden the Annuum's off too.

Have great week too!

RocketMan said:
Looking great Scott, those babies are coming along nicely. I like your garden area. Do you use the big frames for Shade cloth when it get hot? Guess you could run sprinkler hose along there too.

I miss Texas :(

but I love the grow season in Florida :) and I win most all Chili cookoff's  :rofl:
Thanks Bill!

You are correct, I have a 20x40' 30% shade cloth. It goes up once we get into the steady 90's. It really helps with the sun scald. I have 2 wobblers setup that cover about a 50x50' area, I don't use them much except in the fall for a cover crop watering. I prefer the bubblers to flood as they waste less water.

Florida most definitely has more weather advantages, warmer, and rain!

Took that Tejas chili knowledge down there eh?

maximumcapsicum said:
Everything is looking good Scott. Think you'll be pulling the earliest 2014 pods in these parts. Great job!

Glad things are working out on the hoop houses. Can't wait for the next update!
Thanks Adam!

I'm just hoping for spring pods this year. If I'm not picking by June it will be November. Annuum's will produce, it's the supers...

romy6 said:
Scotty my friend. Plants and plot are coming along superbly. Really liking the looks of the green hornet and naga x brain . I pray that it(green hornet )  ripens like it's momma  :pray:

I am sure your plants will have no problem with the cold . As healthy as they look it will take a long hard freeze to hurt them babies. 

How is Otis/Odie  doing? 

Keep em green especially the green hornet  :cool:
Thanks Jamie!

I'm thinking we'll do fine, it may go down to 35°, but they won't get frost on them.

Otis is back to his old self, chasing Squirrels, getting sprayed by Skunks, and just being Otis.

Thanks for asking ;)

Pr0digal_son said:
Damn...36 pages already! I haven't even planted chinense seeds yet. Good luck with your season.

That aphid killer is a mohagany wasp????
Thanks!

I started early to try and beat the heat this season, that in itself presents other challeges.

I had to look that up, and you're correct, we've always call them Big Reds. Mean buggers that have a painful sting!

+1 on the asparagus and peach blossoms. If I remember, this is the first year on your asparagus. Being you have good sandy soil I'll bet it would really take off with about any kind of nutrient tea.  We are at least 5-6 weeks on the asparagus and probably a little longer on the peach blossoms. 

Lookin' Good!

That's pretty amazing to see the Peach tree flowering in Feburary.

The hoop-pa-la's  look buckled down nicely and should protect from the gusty winds. We had a quick hail storm last Spring, couldn't see out the window clearly but the visqueen on mine saved the day. The plants that weren't covered lost quite a bit of older growth.

The plants have that healthy green appearance, you've got a great start with a long season ahead.
Your plants are going to loaded to the hilt, I can imagine some of the harvest shots in the near future...

JJJessee said:
+1 on the asparagus and peach blossoms. If I remember, this is the first year on your asparagus. Being you have good sandy soil I'll bet it would really take off with about any kind of nutrient tea.  We are at least 5-6 weeks on the asparagus and probably a little longer on the peach blossoms. 

Lookin' Good!
Thanks JJJ,

We had a heavy frost last night, hope it didn't damage the Peaches, young trees, was going to pinch most anyway.

The Asparagus is in a raised bed made of landscape timbers pinned with 3/8' rebar, it's about 2x6x2 deep ( I would have to measure it). It's filled with potting soil, took a lot!

Jeff H said:
Hoop houses look good Scott. Asparagus too. 1st year on the asparagus? I've heard it takes 3 years to get well established, but I've never grown it myself.
Thanks Jeff!

Yes first season, figured it was worth a whirl. My goal is if we eat it, grow it!

PaulG said:
Your grow looks fantastic, Devv.  Those NagaBrains are vigorous little plants.  
It's one of the few varieties I have more than one specimen of.
Thanks Paul!
I think I have 7 of the NagaBrain's, I'm growing out 3 or so and will have buddies grow the rest. I'm concerned about space, like many of us. ;)

PIC 1 said:
That's pretty amazing to see the Peach tree flowering in Feburary.

The hoop-pa-la's  look buckled down nicely and should protect from the gusty winds. We had a quick hail storm last Spring, couldn't see out the window clearly but the visqueen on mine saved the day. The plants that weren't covered lost quite a bit of older growth.

The plants have that healthy green appearance, you've got a great start with a long season ahead.
Your plants are going to loaded to the hilt, I can imagine some of the harvest shots in the near future...
Thanks Greg!

I've worked hard trying to get them up to speed. The older ones are READY!

The short hour Peaches will bolt here when we have a week or so of nice weather, we had 12 days I believe. That's why I have a mix of two of each going upwards in cool hours, just hoping most will it it right.

If I didn't have the hoops going those that are in the ground would have been frost damaged. Of course they wouldn't be in the dirt this early either. I did have one tomato show some damage, the wind was really blowing and it created a small funnel that pointed directly to the top of the plant. It will recover, just the crown was burned. This was the second frost we've had, it's been too dry most of the winter. The dew points have been in the teens. But we had rain yesterday, and I was home to catch it. Got over 50 gals! Wish I had more buckets to catch it.

And I can't wait until the harvest begins!

Good on ya Scott... glad to hear the low row cover is doing its job. Did you ever put the water-filled jugs in with the plants?

Dang!!!! Everytime I come and try to read I can never finish Lol!!!

Everything is looking spectacular Scott!!

Amazing variety and number. Very to see the weather warming up, It's starting to warm up here too with similar temps, yours is a tad higher ;).

Now I need to go back and read, working 12hr night shift and have a lot of schedule changes...

Hope you keep that green and really looking forward to see the outcome this year! :cheers:

-Walt

Trinidad Perfume has set a pod.
406.JPG

So has this Sweet Hungarian Paprika, so I guess I can skip the birds and the bees story now...
408.JPG

Aji Cristal trying
407.JPG

Jaime's Green Hornet
409.JPG

Madame Jeanette, seeds from Stefan W
410.JPG

A couple of Naga Brains born of F2 seed. If I understand this Jamie bred these and sent them to Gary.
411.JPG

412.JPG

Bahamian Goat seeds from Jason
413.JPG

Datil seeds from Jason
414.JPG

Jal Colima seeds from Stefan
415.JPG

The older gals came in this afternoon, cold front on the way. The wind, sun, and bugs sure has roughed them up. They're starting to drop the big fat leaves and settle down with the smaller summer leaves. They'll be inside for 48 hours and out again Thursday afternoon.

i can see some pods.... :dance: :dance:

Tons of great photos, loving the close-ups! Plants are looking very happy as well. Do you have a big peice of sunscreen/netting that stretches across the tops of all those poles? 

And congrats on the pods!!!! 

stickman said:
Good on ya Scott... glad to hear the low row cover is doing its job. Did you ever put the water-filled jugs in with the plants?
Thanks Rick!

I did in the second one, not the first. I was not feeling well and it was raining pretty good that day before the cold morning.

Vegas_Chili said:
Dang!!!! Everytime I come and try to read I can never finish Lol!!!

Everything is looking spectacular Scott!!

Amazing variety and number. Very to see the weather warming up, It's starting to warm up here too with similar temps, yours is a tad higher ;).

Now I need to go back and read, working 12hr night shift and have a lot of schedule changes...

Hope you keep that green and really looking forward to see the outcome this year! :cheers:

-Walt
Thanks Walt!

No way to keep up this year! THP has exploded! Too many new glogs, and I have a hard time just staying semi caught up with everyone I met last year.

I talk to Mom every Thursday, she lives in Az., 40-45 minutes from the dam. She claims 'yall are having a mild winter this year compared to the last 10 years. I know everyone North and East of here has had it tough!

Oh, I will keep it green! I watch those gals like a hawk!

Pinoy83 said:

i can see some pods.... :dance: :dance:

Yes poddage!

No more pinching, we're so close to dirt day here! This weekend we will sow the corn, beans, cukes, melons, and all the rest. The plants will wait until I see a good 10 day forecast, Tuesday is supposed to be 32° in the AM, hope that's the last of it. But this has been a colder year. Global warming? I say crackheads! Just look back and see, we're in a cycle that's been repeating for years on end...

Nick08* said:
Tons of great photos, loving the close-ups! Plants are looking very happy as well. Do you have a big peice of sunscreen/netting that stretches across the tops of all those poles? 

And congrats on the pods!!!! 
Thanks Nick!

I have a 20x40' 30% sun shade that's for covering the frame. A huge help with preventing sun scald, and it helps with watering.

I forgot to mention we received .7" of rain the other day. We could use more, but this was nice. I was able to collect quite a bit of rain water for the plants.

Here's a shot of the OW's, I'm pleased, they all made it. And are growing again.
424.jpg

LB wanted me to OW her favorite Jal, it produced nice large hot pods all season. All winter it just sat there, but here we go! Can you say brownie points? funny thing, it has the thickest trunk.
425.jpg

This is for Trippa: See the dead center? This Red Bhut was attacked by mites when really young, they killed the main stalk. But this gal persevered.
426.jpg

The youngest plants made their way into the sunlight yesterday afternoon and spent their first night out. Hope those young gals behaved! I brought them in this morning to cut their time in the sun, they went out again around 3PM. Being in solo cups I was fearful of a dry out.
427.jpg

Pulled back the plastic on the hoops houses for the weekend.

This is the second one, all looks well!
428.jpg

House #1, the tom's are really growing, the peppers are about the same...but they always "sit" for awhile longer.
429.jpg

Love the update Scott! Plants are all looking great. Wish I had a place to set everyone on like that. Gonna make fore a fast start!

My favorite pic is the jal trunk. Wonder what kind of bonchi you could make from it.

Getting hard to keep up in here for sure, but that just means more capsicums for everyone!

Keep on growin!

Nick08* said:
I bet putting up that big sunscreen is a chore! Do you have a special system?
It's actually pretty easy. I use three ropes the length of the frame, then I lay it across and tie 2 ropes to the oposites sides anchoring it to the frame at both corners. Then I tie 2 6' ropes to the other end and pull it across, and anchor the other end. From there I tie off the rest of the sunshade. I used it 2 seasons and both times put it up by myself.

Last year:
471.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the update Scott! Plants are all looking great. Wish I had a place to set everyone on like that. Gonna make fore a fast start!

My favorite pic is the jal trunk. Wonder what kind of bonchi you could make from it.

Getting hard to keep up in here for sure, but that just means more capsicums for everyone!

Keep on growin!
Thanks Adam!

That Jal just sat there all winter, I was afraid it wouldn't make it. Only hung on to it because the top wood stayed nice and green. I have a Thai I want to make a Bonchi out of. Just need to find a pot and do it!

Back