• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

capsidadburn said:
I am enjoying it Scott, but between working, shuttleing the kids around Austin with one shared vehicle, trying to car shop, keeping up plant care, I'm a little tired.  My wife has been getting up @ 5:30 to keep the vehicle which we trade at lunch or so and I pick her up at 11:00 pm. 

We think we want a Subaru.  I like both the Forrester and the Outback.  I was leaning toward the Outback for the roomier storage of stuff we haul and a little more tow capacity if I rent a u-haul wagon for (dirt from the landscape place for this season which is approaching fast!)   She likes the Forrester for the visability.  They are similar price and fuel eco.  I would love a little pick-up but that will have to wait I guess.

My plants handled the lower 40's (early morning) a couple times, but seem to be a little shocked at the abrubt warm up.  About an hour and half recovery.  They look great at 6 or 7 am but are withered around 8 to 9am.  Then back to normal.  I think Friday morning will be low 40's again.  Debating...  They seem to be growing well though.  I'm seeing sporatic difficency that I will try a cal-mag foliar tomorrow.

Some mornings when I leave for work I see skunk waddling around my front yard.  Smell them much more frequently!

Later

Mike
I hear ya Mike, when down to one vehicle AND having kids to haul around it has to be a time consuming nightmare.
Subaru makes a quality vehicle. It should serve you well! Me I'd go for what the wife wants, gotta keep Mama happy, and we guys can adapt ;)  LB has an Equinox and we load it up all the time with salt for the water softener and potting soil, heck we even stuff the Christmas tree in there!

Tomorrow is supposed to be 40° here, well that's SA forecast, we should do a 45°, the ladies are staying outside! Although I moved the tables out of the wind, it's cranked up pretty good here.

Skunks, they seem to be moving a lt around here lately, Otis still stanks!

JJJessee said:
Scott, that's one excited looking bunch of happy plants.
I bet they would prefer a bug bite or two in the sun to living day and night under a light bulb!
^5, you're almost there.
Thanks JJJ!

We're getting closer to dirt day! I'll be looking real close at the forecasts for sure!

maximumcapsicum said:
Looking good Scott! What's in the aluminum pan on the bottom shelf? Mysteries bug me. Looks like a horn or antler or something. You a flintknapper?
Thanks Adam!

I had to go outside and look. That is the handle of a trowel mostly covered in used potting soil. The back porch is in concrete, and I used it to smooth things out. A project from last year...I know it should be in the shop, but now I have a reminder!

Nick08* said:
From that pic the Plants are looking very happy!

+1 on a Suby! Great cars. I too have been back and forth between the Outback and Forester. Are you going to be buying new? If so... you might want to wait a couple months, the all new redesigned 2015 is supposed to be announced in April @ the New York show. Pretty stoked to see where they go with the new one...
Thanks Nick!

They're loving the sun!

I'm jealous of the new vehicles, mines a 300' hole in the ground. But I ran the last one 17 years, one thing I know is how to keep them going...

GA Growhead said:
We bought a forester off a friend of the family about two years ago. Awesome vehicle. I had no idea how much I would love it. On the right path Mike!

So jealous Scott! It's warmer here but still some colder nights in the forecast ahead. :(
Thanks Jason!

But you have a much milder summer, mine hit that hot period and just lay there crying for water. Hoping this spring is cooler, but not colder.

stickman said:
It always takes the plants a couple of weeks to get used to being outside all the time, but I'm sure they'll be fine for you. Things are warming up enough out your way that you oughtta keep an eye out for Ladybugs on your windowsills that you can relocate to your low row cover... ;)

I got the Deer tail you sent in the mail Scott... thanks so much! Texas Deer must have much shorter fur than their northern cousins because the hair on that Doe's tail was only about 3 inches long. Up here it would be approaching 6 inches during winter. It's all good though...  you did a beautiful job curing it, and I use a lot of 3-inch Deer tail hair for making freshwater streamers. A Black-Nosed Dace pattern is a classic here.
BNDace_zpsf049a915.jpg
Hi Rick!

I've seen a few, but the wasps have been real busy picking over the plants. I wonder if they feed on the critters, sure seems like it.

The deer tail was off a younger doe, one I would usually pass on, but this season didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.

Nice work on the lure!

Jeff H said:
Hoot, the sunshade is removed and the plants are doing good. Game on in TX!.

Are you putting them all in hoop houses or did you just build the one for testing?
Thanks Jeff!

The ladies on the table are outside until it cools down. Pretty darn hardened at this point. The hoop house has 12 plants under it, and I hope to build the second this weekend. Heck I said that 2 weeks ago.

PIC 1 said:
Scott the c.chinense look very healthy with the thick main stems, those are going to be monsters. You'll probably have MoA's before anyone else. That plants going to be a factory producing mama !
Thanks Greg!

It won't be long before they all get put in the dirt. I know I planted early but I think I hit it pretty close timing wise.

Thanks for stopping by!

Devv said:
  LB has an Equinox and we load it up all the time with salt for the water softener and potting soil, heck we even stuff the Christmas tree in there!

So does my wife. those darn Equinoxes are everywhere. Decent cars. For hauling stuff though, I use my F250. Does a heck of a job hauling anything, even the kids (crew cab). 

Jeff H said:

So does my wife. those darn Equinoxes are everywhere. Decent cars. For hauling stuff though, I use my F250. Does a heck of a job hauling anything, even the kids (crew cab). 
Jeff,

I have a pickup, 4x4 Chebie, ten years old. I worked for Chevrolet dealers as a technician from '89 to '99 and they are familiar to me, prior to that I worked Old and Buick shops. The last one I had a '90 model, I ran for 265+k and when I sold it, it was in perfect condition. If you keep them maintained and repaired they last forever. No kids here anymore, the youngest is 29 now, empty nest is good! But tomorrow Tim with his family, 4 kids, is stopping by for an overnight. They will give us a run tomorrow!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Peppers are looking nice and so is your weather.  You will be swimming before I am done with snow lol.  Great looking grow.
Thanks Jeff!

The pool usually is good for a swim around Easter is shortly after.

So the reason I've been a lamer, not keeping up like I should with everyone's glog and my own, is digging the trenches for the water lines and electrical.

Here's a pic:

This is our place, I put the GPS readings into Google, and Google Earth brought up this pic. The well is under the green arrow. The old well is located in the lower building to the South, on the far North East side of the building. About 180' of trench had to be dug. Edit: The electrical part of the project: the pole is on the North West side of the shop...

North of the pool is the garden, you can even see the wooden frames that support the sunshade.
house1.jpg

Slightly off topic here, but since you mentioned it, I will pick your brain.  I have an 83 chevy 1.2 ton that all I use it for is to haul my firewood.  Has like 104k on it.  Well after the first sub zero weather we had a warm up and I noticed it wet under the truck.  It showed good to -20 btw.  Couple days ago when it was warm, I opened the radiator cap and the only fluid left in there is at the bottom of the radiator.  

Does this sound like the freeze plug and are they as hard to change as I think they are?  Going to be waiting for warmer weather to prime my well in shop to run water in to find the leak.

Love the aerial shot too.

Nice pic Scott! Bet you end up jumping straight into the pool after gardening! Also looks like you got some distance from your neighbors. They the ones giving Otis trouble?

Good luck with the electrical.

Nice spread Scott, looks like you have plenty of room to stretch your legs, eh? What's the country like... From what I can see at that distance it looks like short grass and Mesquite, and very light-colored soil. Do you have a lot of lime and a high pH in it?

HillBilly Jeff said:
Slightly off topic here, but since you mentioned it, I will pick your brain.  I have an 83 chevy 1.2 ton that all I use it for is to haul my firewood.  Has like 104k on it.  Well after the first sub zero weather we had a warm up and I noticed it wet under the truck.  It showed good to -20 btw.  Couple days ago when it was warm, I opened the radiator cap and the only fluid left in there is at the bottom of the radiator.  

Does this sound like the freeze plug and are they as hard to change as I think they are?  Going to be waiting for warmer weather to prime my well in shop to run water in to find the leak.

Love the aerial shot too.
Thanks Jeff,

I like to use a pressure tester to find the leak. But you can top it off and run it to build pressure too. I often use compressed air to clean or dry off the suspected area to pinpoint the leak. If it's a freeze plug they are easy to change but might be hard to get at. They can be behind the starter, motor mounts or even behind the flywheel. To change one once you have the access, I use a 3/8" drive long extension, in fact a modified one just for freeze plugs back in the 80's. I usually hit one at the edge and it turns as it goes in, once sideways I grab it with pliers. Knocking in the new one is pretty straightforward, it's OK if it starts cocked a little, that's where you hit it until it self straightens and then continue to tap it in. I've never put one in on my back, I was always standing under the vehicle. With a 30 year old truck most anything could be the cause. Hopefully it's a loose hose clamp!

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice pic Scott! Bet you end up jumping straight into the pool after gardening! Also looks like you got some distance from your neighbors. They the ones giving Otis trouble?

Good luck with the electrical.
Thanks Adam!

The GPS maps are way cool. The neighbor with the dogs is North. Their house is about as far North as our place is long or wide, about 900' from our North property line.

stickman said:
Nice spread Scott, looks like you have plenty of room to stretch your legs, eh? What's the country like... From what I can see at that distance it looks like short grass and Mesquite, and very light-colored soil. Do you have a lot of lime and a high pH in it?
Thanks Rick!

The place is unique, Live Oaks on a ridge around here is not common. They are usually found on flats and bottoms. The high point on the place is the southwest 5 acres, and it has the most limestone mostly to the west. As you move East on that piece it gets to be a reddish sandy loam. Then as you cross the fence into the back 10 acres it's black dirt (not deep) and slopes 80' down towards the neighbors house. The back 10 is roughly 450x 950', halfway from West to East it levels off and has the reddish sandy loam. When we bought the place the whole South end was brush and we bulldozed it for cattle graze. The North fields used to be planted in Peanuts and Watermelon back in the day. It's sandier on the West side and more loamy on the East. A drain runs West to East near the North fence. I dug a tank there almost dead center on the North side, it's 6' deep and in 2' of red clay. It's fills after a fast 2" rain but drains in a week. I'd love for it to hold water! And yes the PH is high, above 7.5

I wonder if you have Hinkley Oaks... they're supposed to like soil with lots of limestone in it, but they're also supposed to only grow in Presidio and Brewster counties and across the border in Mexico.

Adding lots of humus is about the only thing you can do to lower the pH, so you're already on that track... If you can get your hands on acidic mulches like deciduous Oak leaves or Pine needles, that should speed things up a little. You can also get bottles of Humic acid to add to the water when you fertilize. It might be something to try if you are expanding your garden and breaking in new ground.

How are the plants doing under your low row cover? I would guess that with the added warmth and sunlight they're growing faster than the ones you're keeping inside under lights.

Nice sat pick Scott. You could really fill that place up with peppers. That would surely be a hoot. 

stickman said:

Adding lots of humus is about the only thing you can do to lower the pH, so you're already on that track... If you can get your hands on acidic mulches like deciduous Oak leaves or Pine needles, that should speed things up a little. You can also get bottles of Humic acid to add to the water when you fertilize. It might be something to try if you are expanding your garden and breaking in new ground.

Rick brings up a real good point with the acid. 
I did an experiment earlier in my glog that seemed to show that the pH of the soil is tempered by the pH of the water. A little acid to get the pH down to 6 or so would surely help lower the pH of the entire garden over time. 

Great looking aerial thanks Google! Sounds like you're getting it knocked out. I feel your pain. A Ditch Witch would've been a big help...but just more money shelled out. Can't wait to see how the garden is coming along.

stickman said:
I wonder if you have Hinkley Oaks... they're supposed to like soil with lots of limestone in it, but they're also supposed to only grow in Presidio and Brewster counties and across the border in Mexico.

How are the plants doing under your low row cover? I would guess that with the added warmth and sunlight they're growing faster than the ones you're keeping inside under lights.
None here Rick, just the Live Oaks. They're really cool, about this time of year the leaves which they held all winter, start to turn from green to brown. As they fall the trees are flowering in a golden, green, then behind that the new leaves appear.

Actually since I put the plants in the garden I've had all the ones in the larger pots outside. We've been having spring weather the last 10 days. The ones outside are outperforming the solo cup gals under the lights. Just can't beat the natural light ma nature provides. In answer to your question they are doing fine, I haven't had to close the sides up since I planted. Today 5 more tomatoes and 4 peppers went in the dirt, as I setup the second hoop house. I'll put the plastic up tomorrow, I ran out of gas today...LOL

Expand my garden? Right now I can't afford it, nor do I have the time. Actually I over produce and give a lot away, which is cool, being from a blue collar background, I make sure the maintenance and custodial crews get their full first ;)

I have a sticky on the screen to check the PH in the garden, I need to do this really soon.

Jeff H said:
Nice sat pick Scott. You could really fill that place up with peppers. That would surely be a hoot. 

Rick brings up a real good point with the acid. 
I did an experiment earlier in my glog that seemed to show that the pH of the soil is tempered by the pH of the water. A little acid to get the pH down to 6 or so would surely help lower the pH of the entire garden over time. 
Thanks Jeff,

The GPS search blew me away. I already knew GPS was accurate. Back in the late 90's before Onstar was a factory installed product I installed the systems at the dealer; when I called in to check the system performance they always knew within 3 feet of where I was making the test. Now you know how those smart missiles hit the target.... :party:

I wish I had the $$$ and time, along with the water to plant more. You know what grows here like crazy and needs zero water once established?  Rosemary. I should look into how to market it, and plant it like crazy. I wonder if I could make some $$ doing that?

stc3248 said:
Great looking aerial thanks Google! Sounds like you're getting it knocked out. I feel your pain. A Ditch Witch would've been a big help...but just more money shelled out. Can't wait to see how the garden is coming along.
Thanks Shane,

Their site is really cool. I could have rented the ditch witch, but you know, I sit at a desk these days. I need the exercise, we all do, and it makes me feel alive to do grunt work. I spoke with my Dad last Sunday, I was swapping between digging and hoeing to keep from getting too sore in one part of the body. Had been at it about an hour, and ran back to the house to get the phone, breathing a little. Dad asked and I explained. He said "When we hang up, I want you to pull out your birth certificate and read the year you were born in".

I rolled, Dad never did what I call physical work past his 30's, certainly not what I do here. So he just doesn't know.

So just as I started putting together an update the tornado blew in, an hour early. Tim his wife and the 4 G-kids. Lets just say things are a bit noisy, but fun here :party:

Here's a few quick pics:

Maters under the hoop house.

389.JPG

Peppers, not the best shot, but as I said guests arrived.
390.JPG

New hoop house minus the plastic, tomorrow that comes.
391.JPG

Planted a Choc Hab, MoA, Jigsaw, and a Jay's Red Ghost Scorp. Plus the 5 tomato plants.

Tomorrow should bring a more meaningful update!

Looks Great, Scott.
You've got me in half a mind to do temporary hoop house a just outside my grow room door in the back yard.
Just to give me some elbow room for say a month before plant out. But don't know if I could be around enough on weekdays to keep an eye on it. What's the specs on that PVC pipe again?

capsidadburn said:
They look like great shots to me Scott!  Plant perspective!  Always meaningful posts too!
Thanks Mike!

The weather here has been simply fantastic. The larger potted plants have been outside the last 11 days, got some cooler weather on the way..

stickman said:
Those pics speak for themselves Scott! The Tomatoes are lovin' it undercover, and the peppers too, though they grow a mite slower than the 'Maties...  When is your first frost-free date? You're probably almost there I bet. :party:
Thanks Rick!

The hoops will come into play later this week when we have some 30's. The average last frost date is 3/15, many years I plant tom's, corn and the rest on the 1st. Peppers I wait until the 15th, as they never show anything growth wise during the first two weeks. Today ws in the 80's and the girls in the pots wilted some, despite having plenty of water.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Those are some nice looking plant outs!!!  Looking good!!!
Thanks Jeff!

First year trying an early plant out like this, but the weather has been perfect so far. I hope it holds!

JJJessee said:
Looks Great, Scott.
You've got me in half a mind to do temporary hoop house a just outside my grow room door in the back yard.
Just to give me some elbow room for say a month before plant out. But don't know if I could be around enough on weekdays to keep an eye on it. What's the specs on that PVC pipe again?
Thanks JJJ!

I used 3/4" pvc in 10' lengths, the spacing is 6' across and 2' between pieces. I used scrap 1.5" and 1 1/4" at roughly 10" lengths hammered in the dirt to plug the 3/4" stock into. You may well do better managing the temps where you are as it probably won't warm up so much during the days.

Here's a re-post of recorded temps:

45 was 56 cloudy
46 was 70 sun out for just a bit 2-3
45 was 60 clouded up 2-3
64 and 70 at 4:30 sunny 2-4
47 and 80 at 3:30 sunny 2-5
31 and 52 at 1:00  cloudy 2-6
30 and 50 at 2PM  cloudy 2-7
37 and 41 at 8AM cloudy 2-8
cold as hell 2-9 to 2-13
68 and 93 3:30PM Sunny, all day 2-14
68 and 94 12 noon Sunny all day 2-15
77 and 80 3PM both ends opened up, thermometer shaded by a piece of cardboard 2-15

The ends have been open the last 11 days...

maximumcapsicum said:
Excellent work Scott! I am so jealous you've got your buds out in the ground. I can't wait. Just a month to go or so. 

I bet the hoop houses really pay off. Keep on growin!
Thanks Adam!

I've been trying!

Cool thing is I have the trenching done, until I start the garden run. I should be able to do 99% with the tractor. Remember Scott, the Cat5 Internet line is buried by the wood pile, don't be stupid! Another sticky note!

So here's a bit of an update:

First nons, garlic. Been in the dirt since late Sept.
392.JPG

Aphid control
393.JPG

Dirt gals planted yesterday, Choc Hab.
394.JPG

MoA
395.JPG

Jigsaw
396.JPG

Yellow Fatalii, I need to fix my above mistake, not a jay's red ghost scorp as posted earlier.
397.JPG

OK dinner break...

MeatHead1313 said:
Beautiful looking plants! Do the wasps eat aphids? Looks like I may need to stop killing them if so.
I'm not sure, but I've only seen them on the plants that have Aphids. Wasps we have, just tons, and all last season they were always in the garden. They definitely are a plus.

Here's a few few more. I up-potted a few this morning.

Manzano's, first time outside. I could have waited, they were not even close to being root bound. But I'm sure they will like their new shoes. 

398.JPG

And they're forking too!

Another non, strawberries are flowering. This is year 2, now if we can keep the Squirrels and birds away....
399.JPG

Sweet Hungarian Paprika.
400.JPG

Billy Biker.
401.JPG

Yet another mystery.
402.JPG

Jimmy Nardello.
403.JPG

Costeno Amarillo
404.JPG

Yellow Fatalii