• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

I'm consistantly 2 to 3 degrees colder than the Austin forecasted lows.  Those I left out may be fine and sort of an experiment without losing a bunch of plants.  I wish I could have had some hoop structure ready but just has'nt played out that way for me.

Been to Seguin a couple times back in the pre children antiquing days!

I've never been able to use up my vacation time.  Each year I roll over a couple hundred hours.  Even giving it away to some who have needed it emergengy.  I suppose there could be worse problems!

Wow, finally got all caught up on your work.  Things are looking really nice.  Hardening off is such a hard time of year.  Those delicate leaves get battered and they look bad, but they bounce back.  As much work as hardening off is, I can't wait for it.

Plants are looking great Scott!  I'm very jealous of you plant out time.  I'm hoping for an early spring this year.  I got 12 numex barker green chile plants this year, i plan on roasting some and drying the rest out for powder.

capsidadburn said:
I'm consistantly 2 to 3 degrees colder than the Austin forecasted lows.  Those I left out may be fine and sort of an experiment without losing a bunch of plants.  I wish I could have had some hoop structure ready but just has'nt played out that way for me.

Been to Seguin a couple times back in the pre children antiquing days!

I've never been able to use up my vacation time.  Each year I roll over a couple hundred hours.  Even giving it away to some who have needed it emergengy.  I suppose there could be worse problems!
Take some time Mike, you earned it. We can share time with those who need it too, which is nice.

Yeah they changed the forecast, Thursday they show 37°. Gotta watch that dewpoint! After that everything is smooth sailing....I hope!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Wow, finally got all caught up on your work.  Things are looking really nice.  Hardening off is such a hard time of year.  Those delicate leaves get battered and they look bad, but they bounce back.  As much work as hardening off is, I can't wait for it.
Thanks Jeff!

I now know I overshot my garden space to plant ratio, again :shh:

I know what you mean about them getting battered, I left the Manzano's out last night and they suffered some wind burn. Found three plants on the ground too, they survived, no damage. Glad I put the wind break up yesterday, it was nice and calm for the newly planted gals.

jedisushi06 said:
Plants are looking great Scott!  I'm very jealous of you plant out time.  I'm hoping for an early spring this year.  I got 12 numex barker green chile plants this year, i plan on roasting some and drying the rest out for powder.
Thanks Mike!

Your plants are looking super and by the time they hit dirt they should have pods.

I decided to wait until Thursday to plant the rest, forecast shows colder temps now. We can easily handle what's out there now versus a loaded garden if it get too cold.

I have a great concern about space, the way I wanted to plant would allow for 26 more plants. I have around 100 that need to get planted, so I'm going to have another jungle this year. With that and Rattle snakes in mind, I had two in the garden last year, I'm going to train the plants to a single stem by removing the suckers. That way I can see down low. Last year I was out weeding, and came in for a cold one. Went back out and started to water, was was standing right next to the snake (2-3' away), the wife saw it, good thing, It would have bit me. I'm really crowding the Annuum's, mainly because I can. I think they actually like the close quarters.

Today I finished burying the last 20' of the 1 1/4" feed line for the irrigation. It runs a bout 30' total with 6 faucets, I'm hoping to be able to run 3 at a time, which would be 9 rows. I spent way too much time watering last year. Also I'm hoping the heavy top soil helps the watering issue too. The ground was wet this morning and when I came up to the house I had to scape a 1/2" of mud off the bottom of my shoes. It should be good!

Also made three more rows where two should go, enough fun for today. I'm callin' it! :cheers:

Jeff H said:
Looking good Scott. Peppers in the ground. Love it.
Thanks Jeff!

Just 100 or so more to plant...

Here's the shots that show the slope we talked about:
440.JPG

441.JPG

And the garden has flattened out some as erosion pushes things downhill.

maximumcapsicum said:
Excellent work Scott! Wish I had that row spacing, but you can keep the wind! Here's hoping you get everything done before the end of the break!
Thanks Adam!

It's been raining some here, the slow drizzle kind. Hard to get done what I want, but I got a little, very little done today. 1/2" over two days. I'll take all they can drop on me!

Essegi said:
Such a nice place! Great work!
Thanks Essegi!

The wife AKA LB found this place 25 years ago, the goodness, we couldn't afford to buy it now with the way real estate has gone up.

Here's a few pics I had to stop, it started raining again, rain, yes rain here!

Billy Biker, 2 of them...seeds from Jamie. Already wanting to set pods. Well most of them are close or trying. Timing this year is perfect I must say!
442.JPG

443.JPG

Onza Roja, seeds from Mike
444.JPG

Sweet Hungarian Paprika-Rick-Habenerohead

445.JPG

A pair of Jimmy Nardello's from Jamie
446.JPG

447.JPG

In the pic above, you can see the chips of biochar I added 3 or 4 years ago.

Aji Pineapple seeds from Jason
448.JPG

Just one of my mysteries...
449.JPG

I need a bump please ;)

Thanks Jeff!

Simple Jal, but they sure do get eaten around here!

450.JPG

Yet another Mystery, I have 5 of them...whoops.
451.JPG

Aji Lemon
452.JPG

Espelette Basque-Mike-Patrick
453.JPG

Giant White Hab seeds from Paul.
454.JPG

Brown Hab
455.JPG

JA Hab seeds from Ramon, we miss you Ramon!
456.JPG

MoA seeds from Ramon
457.JPG

That's it for now, I got rained out while taking pics. Had another whole row to snap. But rain here is such a blessing!

Have a great week! LB and I are out of town until Wednesday.

Looking good Scott.

I would cry if I just got a chance to put all the plants in the ground and then had to leave them and go out of town. Good luck to your babies in your absence.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Hope you have a great trip.  Plants are looking good.
Thanks Jeff!

Leaving after lunch for Kickapoo to do some gambling. LB writes websites for blow $$$

Pinoy83 said:
nice they on the ground.......them babies will be ladies soon.... :dance:
Thanks Jericson!

Starting to see a few pods too!

Jeff H said:
Looking good Scott.

I would cry if I just got a chance to put all the plants in the ground and then had to leave them and go out of town. Good luck to your babies in your absence.
Thanks Jeff!

I'm not worried while gone, short trip, will be back by 10AM or so tomorrow. The weather has me worried for Thursday morning, we should be OK. But winds are supposed to be 30mph, could have a light frost. Before I leave I need to double check the wind break. That thing is a life saver! I guess the ones I haven't planted will come inside, no reason for them to get beat up.

Nice that things are greening up fast at the old Hacienda Scott... rain is a huge bonus... Things should literally explode into growth now! I hope you're right about the timing of your planting outside. We're minimum 5 weeks out from that, but things often move quickly here after the Vernal Equinox. Cheers!

Holy smokes look at the room to grow peppers! I'm so jealous! Living in the burbs all mine are grown in pots. A beautiful place you have to grow Scott.

Great to see your garden filling up Scott!  Looking like a controlled well executed plan.  As much as the weather will allow!  Wednesday mornings wind and Thursday mornings temps don't look to good.  I have a small section ready for in ground Friday afterwork.  Can't wait.

Have a good trip!

Mike

Plants in the ground!!! Blooming and looking fantastic too! Great stuff Scott...can't wait to see how your grow looks in two months, going to be freaking ridiculous!

Back