• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Last year we had a very cool spring and the peppers took forever to really take hold and take off.  I think the soil temps just lingered too low for a long time.  It eventually heated up and they took off, but up here the season was too short and the harvest really suffered.  The good news for you is that you have a long season down there, so you should be fine.  Not much you can do about cooler temps. 

maximumcapsicum said:
That's rough. What kind of night temps have you been dealing with?
Hi Adam,

This last week was high 40's and then moved back into the 50's. The forecast calls for 2 days next week in the low 40's, which means a front is rolling in and more wind. They'll just have to hang and dance in the wind :D
GA Growhead said:
Don't give up hope yet.
Oh, no, not giving up hope, just I had hoped once they hit the dirt they would actually grow ;)

I just came in and hit them with a weak dose of ferts, watering as needed with a 30% mix every time. The wife says they're looking better, she sees them only on weekends I see them everyday. Maybe that's the problem, I expect too much.

Pulpiteer said:
Last year we had a very cool spring and the peppers took forever to really take hold and take off.  I think the soil temps just lingered too low for a long time.  It eventually heated up and they took off, but up here the season was too short and the harvest really suffered.  The good news for you is that you have a long season down there, so you should be fine.  Not much you can do about cooler temps. 
I agree, I feel the cool nights have kept the soil temps down. Really weird weather, 40's and 80's in the afternoon. At least we're getting the 80's ;)

HillBilly Jeff said:
The peppers will take off as soon as your temps start to act like normal.  If the maters are doing okay, the peppers will be fine too.
That's what I keep telling myself, the maters look great, so it has to be the cooler weather.

This is my second year growing the C.Chinense, and they hit dirt last year in mid April, due to a late start. So I'm ahead plant size wise. Maybe next season I should start them 30 days later and plant them April 1st, but next year may be normal...it's always hit and miss.

I wanted to take pics today, but will do so in the morning, I'm tired, today I worked 8 hours outside. I guess sitting at a desk 8 hours a day is making me a wimp..LOL. I started off mixing up some Epsom salt for a foliar application. I filled the second raised bed, put some furniture making scraps at the bottom along with some wood that the wind blew out of the trees, next a layer of the hardwood mulch, 5cu feet of the MG garden soil, 3"s of cow manure. Then I mixed a 1/2yd of top soil and the remaining 5cu feet of garden soil, covered that with a layer of potting soil. Then planted 6 peppers in the bed. 2 BB7's, a F Reaper, True Reaper (we'll see), Naga Brain, and a Tobago Treasure. I then cut up a cattle panel and put it on top so the dang dogs won't jump up there and dig like they did when I filled the first bed. Finished off with a 30% mix, and watered the 130+ plants in the garden...So it's beer 30!

Great work but we need the pics man! What concentration do you use the Epsom salt foliar spray? May hit em with that this week.

I ended up planting another of your funky reapers instead of a secon Carolina reaper plant. It was gonna be a gift but it looked so healthy I decided to make more room. I guess I should have been thrilled to give the healthy reaper away lol. Peppergreed.

Devv said:

I wanted to take pics today, but will do so in the morning, I'm tired, today I worked 8 hours outside. I guess sitting at a desk 8 hours a day is making me a wimp..LOL. I started off mixing up some Epsom salt for a foliar application. I filled the second raised bed, put some furniture making scraps at the bottom along with some wood that the wind blew out of the trees, next a layer of the hardwood mulch, 5cu feet of the MG garden soil, 3"s of cow manure. Then I mixed a 1/2yd of top soil and the remaining 5cu feet of garden soil, covered that with a layer of potting soil. Then planted 6 peppers in the bed. 2 BB7's, a F Reaper, True Reaper (we'll see), Naga Brain, and a Tobago Treasure. I then cut up a cattle panel and put it on top so the dang dogs won't jump up there and dig like they did when I filled the first bed. Finished off with a 30% mix, and watered the 130+ plants in the garden...So it's beer 30!

I hear you Scott. I wanted to take pics myself, but I'm exhausted from working outside. Definitely Beer 30.

maximumcapsicum said:
Great work but we need the pics man! What concentration do you use the Epsom salt foliar spray? May hit em with that this week.

I ended up planting another of your funky reapers instead of a secon Carolina reaper plant. It was gonna be a gift but it looked so healthy I decided to make more room. I guess I should have been thrilled to give the healthy reaper away lol. Peppergreed.
Hi Adam,

I hear ya, work first play second. I have to get things done here before the heat gets going. Caught up enough (I guess) to take pics in the morning. If I wait too long the suns a blasting and they look crappy, that's what happened today. Before I knew it, it was 3:15 and I had to call it (beer30 ya know). Pics in the AM before the sun hits them comes out much better pic wise.

Jeff H said:

I hear you Scott. I wanted to take pics myself, but I'm exhausted from working outside. Definitely Beer 30.
Aight! I have a second on a full day!

Adam,

I put 4tbl in 3 gals and used the watering can to drench them, tomorrow early, I'll hit them with a calmag drench.

I hear ya on the night time temps...Monday's forecast high is 87 low of 49, tuesday High of 78 low of 49...today and tomorrow we'll have clouds so highs in the mid 60s lows of 50. I don't think they mind the cool nights too much as long as the daytime highs are good and they're getting good sun. It does slow them some...but then again so does 110+ summer temps. Happy Sunday to ya! 

stc3248 said:
I hear ya on the night time temps...Monday's forecast high is 87 low of 49, tuesday High of 78 low of 49...today and tomorrow we'll have clouds so highs in the mid 60s lows of 50. I don't think they mind the cool nights too much as long as the daytime highs are good and they're getting good sun. It does slow them some...but then again so does 110+ summer temps. Happy Sunday to ya! 
Too true, and the heat here and at your place gets flat rowdy.

OK, I hit the gals with calmag and the corn, onions, garlic, and beans with full strength fish stank. Man that's just nasty stuff. LOL

I planted 5 trees and my back said take a break fool!  I listened :D

I also took some long overdue pics.

These are in the second raised bed and have to grow through the cattle panel. No cattle panel, no plants, dog would be up there a diggin'. They dug one tree up before I even finished planting the rest.

BB7 from Stefan, started out with a funk but came around and is doing nicely.
594.JPG

Second BB7
595.JPG

Naga Brain from Gary
596.JPG

Funky Reaper, my seed
597.JPG

Texas Reaper, my seed.
598.JPG

Tabago Treasure, Jason
599.JPG

Group shot. Hm Otis trying to photo bomb.
601.JPG

The Asparagus are doing better, and better. More shoots showing up.
600.JPG

The next raised bed :party:
602.JPG

Manzano in 20 gal growbag. It's spreading out and ready for a  growth spurt. Note the wind damage.
603.JPG

That's 10

Thanks for reading.

Thanks OCD!

Out of likes again :mope:

I figured out what I did, lifting the Lime tree out of it's 20 gal pot, and it and out of the hole several times fitting the depth. I'm good, it's not hurt, but it told me to stop ;)

Blurry shot of the first Manzano flower starting to open.
604.JPG

LB's roses are blooming.
605.JPG

Another Manzano, putting on buds...
606.JPG

Chuncho winner.
607.JPG

Zukes, hope they produce, last year we didn't get any. A lot of peeps around here had a bad year, it was a cooler spring.
609.JPG

The peppers are starting to show me something, Onions and corn coming on too.
610.JPG

Tom's aren't bashful
612.JPG

Peach Bhut, finally growing again.
613.JPG

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp looking much better.
614.JPG

So is Jay's Red Ghost Scorp.
615.JPG

That's 10, bump please ;)

Thanks OCD!

In the dirt Manzano, not minding the full sun one bit!
616.JPG

Tater flowers
617.JPG

618.JPG

MoA, wind beaten and coming back from the yellow look.
619.JPG

JA Hab, been dropping those large indoor leaves and starting to put on new growth. In fact most of the peppers are losing the large indoor leaves.
620.JPG

Plenty of these on the vine...
621.JPG

Tom's growing out of their cages.
622.JPG

Choco Bhut Douglah
623.JPG

Jigsaw
624.JPG

Any ideas?
625.JPG

stickman said:
Thanks Rick!

TrentL said:
Damn, you have a big garden. :)

Looking great. We're still (sadly) a long way off from dirt day in Central IL.
Thanks Trent!

Mine will be close to finished by then, June, July is when I'm typically done with most everything.

We try to grow so we don't have to buy ;)

But I will be giving peppers away for sure this season...I'm at around 125 at last count.

OCD Chilehead said:
Any ideas?
attachicon.gif
image.jpgIm guessing.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
LOL,

That's a not MoA, or my mistake labeling. I'm sure it's a hot one!

Back