• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

maximumcapsicum said:
We are getting that wind now. 20-25 mph. My brown moruga is bent over but the stem didn't snap so I think it's okay. Getting those plastic covers on was tons of fun.

Here's hoping this passes soon.
The wind is the worst, we rarely get the cold that will damage.

Yeah, Been there done that with the kite deal, but I saw your plants made it, they will come back. You my friend certainly have the skills to do that!

stickman said:
Keeping our fingers crossed for you here Scott... We've been getting some much-needed rain here too. Things are really starting to green up, but I'm sure they'll go into a holding pattern until it warms up again... hopefully by the weekend. I put down the IRT plastic mulch on the raised bed on the south side of the house this weekend. If we get back into the 40s at night then, I'll start by planting my Bhuts there and setting the hoops up over them. Cheers!
Thanks Rick!

They made it just fine. Just freaky weather for us, now we're back to 60's at night and mid to high 80's day time. Poor confused plants.

My fingers are crossed that the weather hold for you!
HillBilly Jeff said:
It was nasty windy here too.  Glad I didn't have new plants out.  They bounce back quick though.
I was surprised how well they did, but they've had a month to get stronger. They haven't grown much but if we had this wind a month ago they would have been torn to shreds, trunks are nice and woody now. I'm ready for some growth and pods! 

OCD Chilehead said:
I'm glad the plants weathered thru the storm. Just made them stronger. Let us know how the tea turns out.
Thanks!

The first batch went on as a 30% foliar application, the second is foaming nicely. Anyone have any ideas on how I can test the strength of the AACT?

Going to try and make some tea next week. I want to spray my soil with it before I plant up. I was wondering the same thing on testing strength of the brew. I was wondering about PH as well? Going to look in the Beginner's guide to AACT/Compost Tea topic and see what I can find.

Hey, Scott. that AACT looks terrific, but all my reading has every told me is you need a microscope to tell want you really got, other than just trial and error of course.
I'm going with the trail and error method. 
That's one thumpin' compress you got going. Looks like the turbulence is about right. They say you can actually churn it hard enough to distress the beneficial microbes. Theory is, they say, to gently dislodge and minimally feed the waterborne colony aiming for optimal balance between turbulence and O2 ppm.
It's a complicated art it seems. 

+1 on the .7" rain. We are far lagging April rain with little relieve in the 10-day. 
We've had well over a foot of wind though  :rolleyes: .

Wind took some of my cover off and the freeze bit a few onions and mushed up the asparagus I left standing. My first year, frost folded the first dozen or two stalks before they were in high gear and the crowns just keep pumping stalks like nothing had happened. 

OCD Chilehead said:
Going to try and make some tea next week. I want to spray my soil with it before I plant up. I was wondering the same thing on testing strength of the brew. I was wondering about PH as well? Going to look in the Beginner's guide to AACT/Compost Tea topic and see what I can find.
Chuck,

If you find anything please share it, I'm thinning it by 30-33% and don't know if I'm making it too weak...

JJJessee said:
Hey, Scott. that AACT looks terrific, but all my reading has every told me is you need a microscope to tell want you really got, other than just trial and error of course.
I'm going with the trail and error method. 
That's one thumpin' compress you got going. Looks like the turbulence is about right. They say you can actually churn it hard enough to distress the beneficial microbes. Theory is, they say, to gently dislodge and minimally feed the waterborne colony aiming for optimal balance between turbulence and O2 ppm.
It's a complicated art it seems. 

+1 on the .7" rain. We are far lagging April rain with little relieve in the 10-day. 
We've had well over a foot of wind though  :rolleyes: .

Wind took some of my cover off and the freeze bit a few onions and mushed up the asparagus I left standing. My first year, frost folded the first dozen or two stalks before they were in high gear and the crowns just keep pumping stalks like nothing had happened. 
Thanks JJJ!

I'm on my third batch, the way I have it now is a nice gentle flow. I used a pic, which has a point on both ends one is at 90°, they're great for picking seals and what not while working on equipment. The points are like using a test light to make the holes.

Ahhh the compressor, I burned up two smaller ones running my air tools. I retired from turning wrenches after 25 years at 41. One thing I have is tools, took a lifetime to get them though ;)

I figured I would get one that would run my stuff and not break a sweat.

Yeah we got that foot of wind and then some, my place is on a North slope and even with the wind breaks it tore the plants up, you know shreaded leaves and such....and less now..LOL.

Hoping this is it!

Like you said, they take the hit and just keep going. I have a few Asparagus that folded, but the cool thing is I'm seeing more and more shoots. I was worried after reading you had 15 per plant, maybe I will get there after all.

Have a great weekend!

maximumcapsicum said:
Keep that wind over there! 30 mph. Ridiculous, and I had skyscrapers shielding me.

You gonna use the compost tea on everything or spread it around to test?
No way Adam!

I have to share. I don't want to hog all the wind you know ;)

The first batch went on as a foliar application, I mixed it down to around 30%.

The second batch went full strength (3/4 of it) on the new raised bed. Plants will hit that in the morning. The third is working.

Pinoy83 said:
wow scottt...everything is doin very well, i love your garden....im jealous lol.....soon lots of pods :fireball: :fireball: :fireball:
Thanks Jericson!

Land I have, but it's in an inhospitable place where temps will go into the 90's next month..maybe even 100's, hopefully late next month! And stay there until mid September. So I have 2 growing seasons, spring and fall. Last year I kept the peppers going until fall. This season I dunno. I do know I'm not doing the everyday watering all summer like last year. If I can get by with 3 days a week, I'll go for it :crazy:

Devv said:
I do know I'm not doing the everyday watering all summer like last year. If I can get by with 3 days a week, I'll go for it :crazy:

Last year I bought a programmable water timer from HD. Cost $30 ish and is battery powered and hooks right to a hose bib. Can you incorperate something like that so you don't have to monitor the watering everyday? Just let it run for 15 minutes once a day or whatever you need?

Hopefully this year has a *little* more rain in it than the last couple. Two years of drought was enough, thankyouverymuch.

I got so sick of watering last year. I took shortcuts I should NOT have taken - like hooking the sprinkler w/ a timer up.

When I lost all my tomatoes from late blight, I learned the error of my ways. Don't top water 'maters.

I sacrificed an old 100' hose, tied the end in a knot, and with a cordless drill now have a good bottom watering system in place. :)

I think you can topwater tomatoes, just don't do it right before night.  Before I built my watering system, I always topwatered maters.  What I can't stand are cold springs that always tend to go right into hot dry summers.

Damn it Scott, did your garden have to be so far along too? :rofl:
The wind has been fierce at my end as well, and I drove into Houston right as that crap blew through-pretty fearsome for this time of year.In fact, every single Houston trip I've made this year for work has been just a wicked front blows through- they are gonna be getting scared to call me now....

The double dose of molasses will take the tang right outta that cowshit in the tea...ahh, sweet tea without processed sugar!
....and every pack rat knows...if you throw it out, you will need it really bad about a week later :rofl: !

Okay-I've waited long enough, whisky time...then zzzzzzzzz
Have a good one -
DJ

Jeff H said:

Last year I bought a programmable water timer from HD. Cost $30 ish and is battery powered and hooks right to a hose bib. Can you incorperate something like that so you don't have to monitor the watering everyday? Just let it run for 15 minutes once a day or whatever you need?
I have 3 of those, they work fine and then stop. It has to be the high mineral content. A sediment filter didn't help either. I have nine rows of pepper and tom's with 5 different sets of bubblers, so I would need 5.

My hope is the heavy soil will help this season.

HillBilly Jeff said:
According to the news you're in a very bad way for rain.  Hope you stay wet enough this year.
Thanks Jeff,

The lakes and aquifers are hurting. They say the drought is 4 years old, but it really started in the winter of 2005.

This lake is pretty close, with 45 minutes. It was used for ditch irrigation, even all the way out here.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/slideshow/Medina-Lake-vanishing-31321.php

Wife just made a point, the manmade lakes are drying up.

TrentL said:
Hopefully this year has a *little* more rain in it than the last couple. Two years of drought was enough, thankyouverymuch.

I got so sick of watering last year. I took shortcuts I should NOT have taken - like hooking the sprinkler w/ a timer up.

When I lost all my tomatoes from late blight, I learned the error of my ways. Don't top water 'maters.

I sacrificed an old 100' hose, tied the end in a knot, and with a cordless drill now have a good bottom watering system in place. :)
That's why (drought) I added the heavy soil and the plants are in the ditches. My 2011 garden never got a single drop of rain until after 9-15. In addition to flooding, which is more efficient than sprinklers, I have the wobblers. I can run two at a time and they water 2,500 square feet. They're great for getting the cover crops going in the fall. I also use them in the spring if the soil is dry.

Once in a while I use them to water, but they promote weeds, good for a too lazy day ;)

I never had issues top watering tomatoes. Did you grow them from seeds or buy plants?

Several seasons ago I bought plants and they had some mold ontop of the potting soil, 3 or 4 weeks later they started dropping like flies. It was Southern Blight, no cure. That's what got me growing from seeds, and it's much more rewarding too ;)

HillBilly Jeff said:
I think you can topwater tomatoes, just don't do it right before night.  Before I built my watering system, I always topwatered maters.  What I can't stand are cold springs that always tend to go right into hot dry summers.
You just described my springs here, very short, that's why I push the early planting. But I learned this year the Chinense flat won't be pushed, glad they were at flowering stage when they hit the dirt.

gnslngr said:
Damn it Scott, did your garden have to be so far along too? :rofl:
The wind has been fierce at my end as well, and I drove into Houston right as that crap blew through-pretty fearsome for this time of year.In fact, every single Houston trip I've made this year for work has been just a wicked front blows through- they are gonna be getting scared to call me now....

The double dose of molasses will take the tang right outta that cowshit in the tea...ahh, sweet tea without processed sugar!
....and every pack rat knows...if you throw it out, you will need it really bad about a week later :rofl: !

Okay-I've waited long enough, whisky time...then zzzzzzzzz
Have a good one -
DJ
Well? I plant as soon as Ma Nature allows :shh:

I remember when I moved to Houston in 1978, it rained everyday at 4PM, everyday!

Not anymore, I'm really hoping for the El Nino to come back around.

Thanks for stopping by!

I'm headed outside!

Devv said:

I never had issues top watering tomatoes. Did you grow them from seeds or buy plants?

Several seasons ago I bought plants and they had some mold ontop of the potting soil, 3 or 4 weeks later they started dropping like flies. It was Southern Blight, no cure. That's what got me growing from seeds, and it's much more rewarding too ;)

I grew the ones which first got affected by late blight from seed. The first two plants to show signs of blight were a pair of romas, which spread to two more, then to my big boys. I had those 6 plants that I grew from seed, plus I'd bought 4 more roma plants at walmart. (They didn't grow NEARLY as big as mine, and had much smaller fruit). The ones I bought were also affected by the late blight but only after the ones I grew from seed were devastated. They were physically separated from the first 4 in the other half of the garden.

The worst thing I've ran across from buying plants was damn cow killer ants. I had THOSE in my garden last year - big wingless wasp things, which SUCKED since I like walking around in my bare feet. I've *never* seen those in Illinois before, and I'm convinced they were "imported" with something I bought at the nursery, or from those 4 tomato plants I bought at walmart. I had run across those cow killer ants in North carolina before, and from what I understand, the sting from them is in the top 5 of "most painful insect bites in the world". 

(Never again!)

I had to Google that, I see those now and again, or something that looks close to it.

This morning started out with firing up the pit, LB said I have some cooking to do:

655.JPG

While the pit was warming up I did some planting.

This is the Manzano that got hammered by the wind, all that was left was the crowns. Whoops :shh:
638.JPG

Scotch Indian Red from Stefan.
639.JPG

Brown Bhut from John (Sawyer).
640.JPG

Crowded a bunch of plants in the third raised bed. They're gonna have to deal with it, I'm pretty much out of room. I still have 8 plants I need to find space for. :rolleyes:
641.JPG

Pits ready, before I cleaned the grates..LOL:
656.JPG

Put a small brisket and two beer can chickens on.
657.JPG

Back in the garden...

Overall things are looking good. The corn is growing like crazy, close to 2' high now, Celantro on the left is really doing well.. About half the peppers have responded to frequent half doses of nutes, Some are being stuborn.

It won't be long now.
642.JPG

Here's a shot taken last year around 4-28. I'd say despite the slow start I'm ahead of last year when it comes to the supers. Overall compared to last year the corn and maters are behind, but it's the 19th not the 28th, and the weather is looking really good for growing. 60's at night, 80's daytime. The supers have the arrows next to them.
200.JPG

After two hours the chicken came off, and I put a ham on to smoke.
658.JPG

That's 10...

Thanks!

I cooked them around 325°, when I pull the legs and they come off I say done!

Threw the spiral ham on and gave it close to an hour of smoke @ around 325°. Then painted it really well with apple butter and wrapped it in foil. Wrapped the brisket too. And threw on a rack of babyback ribs. Now cooking @ 225°
659.JPG

Some of this is for tonight, most is to be put up as sandwich meat. Just can't buy stuff this good :party:

Back in the garden again...

Jason says this is a BOC, it seems I made some crosses of my own....um, crossed plants. So pepper ID will be needed...oh well.
643.JPG

More and more pods are showing up, mainy from the Bac's and Annuums. Quite a few flowers throughout the garden.
651.JPG

Plenty of Jimmy Nardellos out there, this is one of them.
644.JPG

Jal's are setting, just getting started, but they are setting. This should make LB happy, she was on pod patrol this afternoon looking for ones she could pick.
645.JPG

Kurtovska Kapija, from now on just Kurt. I have to look that up everytime ;)
646.JPG

OK, here's one of my crossed plants. I have know idea...
648.JPG

Aji Pineapple, apparently I labelled a few correctly.
647.JPG

Another I dunno..sad isn't it? But hell, I have poddage!
649.JPG

Poblano.
650.JPG

That's it for now...

Looking really great Scott!  Very hungry now!   Your season looks very promising.

My stuff is moving pretty slow.  I've lost a lot of early plants to aphids sadly.  My later plants are doing well and serving as replacements but I will lose out on some varieties I think.  We will see how they respond.

Have a great Easter weekend!

Mike

Back