• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

I love your garden setup.  Your glog is so long, I'll never get too far back, but the latest pics are so nice.  Someday probably in a different house would like to have similar.  I really like the view also where you can see off toward the horizon.  One of my wishes if / when we move is to have an unobstructed south to west view. I am surrounded by trees now and cant see anything much past my property and just want to see the distance like in some of your pics.

Sucks about the coons getting your peaches.  Those things are just unstoppable.  I didn't realize they liked acorns until last year.  I don't know if I never noticed before or they just last year decided they would climb the pin oak trees and get the acorns.  Was driving me nuts, made the dogs go nuts every night.  The entire tree was ringed with coon crap.  

I'll try to keep up with your glog, if not too restricted by time.  

Scott you should see what a family of coon can do to an Iowa cornfield in a night.Sardines(not mustard) and a conibear trap will fix you up sir. :onfire:   

Devv said:

This is so way off topic, but if you have Windows 10 click and read. My new PC, 3 weeks old was sucking all the bandwidth over 3.5 mb. The old unit got hit by lightning and was upgraded from win8 and didn't do this. I spent 2 hours last night nailing all this down. I won't get into how I did it but here's the links to stop win10 from killing your connection, you may or may not have this issue:

#1) Windows 10  makes YOUR computer into an update server that offers up your PC to the whole Internet I found this after finding out the issue, easy to follow directions.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html

#2) This link is how you can stop Windows from getting updates while your using it, and choking your speed way down. After following it your PC will let you know when updates are needed and you can choose when to update. I will say update when needed as this is important, if your not prompted go and tell the PC to check. This can be done before you retire for the night. I give LB credit for finding this information.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953132/windows/set-windows-10s-wi-fi-connections-as-metered-to-download-forced-updates-at-your-own-pace.html

Can't help it, IT is what I do ;)

Interesting Scott, I didn't know this. We have a few Win 10 computers at the house, I'll have to check on this.

jcw10tc said:
I love your garden setup.  Your glog is so long, I'll never get too far back, but the latest pics are so nice.  Someday probably in a different house would like to have similar.  I really like the view also where you can see off toward the horizon.  One of my wishes if / when we move is to have an unobstructed south to west view. I am surrounded by trees now and cant see anything much past my property and just want to see the distance like in some of your pics.

Sucks about the coons getting your peaches.  Those things are just unstoppable.  I didn't realize they liked acorns until last year.  I don't know if I never noticed before or they just last year decided they would climb the pin oak trees and get the acorns.  Was driving me nuts, made the dogs go nuts every night.  The entire tree was ringed with coon crap.  

I'll try to keep up with your glog, if not too restricted by time.  
 Thanks!

I give all the credit to LB for us owning this place. She found it in the paper 27 years ago. She called me at work and said "you have to go and look at this right now!" There was a contract on the place already, it fell through and we jumped on it. We closed St. Paddy's day 1989. Now-a-days to get something like this is 350-400k, we paid 63k back then, paid it off 10 years later. Sorry to say those days are gone...but deals are always out there if you have the capital to jump on it.

As for the coons, I'll be keeping traps baited from now on, until I lock the garden down so they can't get in. I'm sure after the prime stuff is gone they will be hitting the traps on a regular basis

randyp said:
Scott you should see what a family of coon can do to an Iowa cornfield in a night.Sardines(not mustard) and a conibear trap will fix you up sir. :onfire:   

I've been looking at the conibear traps, they're in my future for sure! ;)

The goal is to get them before the goodies are present, cuz then they ignore the traps. At the moment I have 4 DP traps and a live trap set in the garden.

Jeff H said:

Interesting Scott, I didn't know this. We have a few Win 10 computers at the house, I'll have to check on this.

A ctrl-alt-delete and then task manager, look at the net network stats in the processes tab. It should be zero if your not pulling.

A mini update, not much pepper wise going on due to a very late start and the constant eating of the plants.

But here's a few:

55.jpg

A Jimmy Nardello, pods! As I mentioned earlier, the labels blew off the table when we turned on the ceiling fans the day I seeded these. So I'm finding out what is what as they set...LOL what a joke! but peppers we finally have! The only ones that didn't come up were the JA Habs. I have a ton of those seeds, but time...is not here lately.

56.jpg

I put up bird netting and poof, a coon ate a hole in it. It needs to come back and trip a trap!

57.jpg

One of the first things I did when I got back into things was to re-do the raised beds, concrete frames, concrete bottoms, with tapered sides and 2 2" drains. concrete along the base to keep bermuda grass out. AND dogster proofed!

58.jpg

All the soil work just has to be paying off. This is the first time I have ever had large onions, the one in my hand is softball sized, and they are 30-45 days from harvest. I hit them just once with nutes, cuz I felt guilty...LOL.LB needed a few so I picked these early ;)

59.jpg

"justa hab" note the munched on parts. Coons? Possums? Woodrats? I dunno, so far 1 Possum, 2 coons, 3 woodrats removed (dogs scored 2:). All can do this when they feel like it.

60.jpg

MoA, had some minor hail last week, and this one got hit. Really weird, just the first 10' on the west side of the garden had some hail damage. We got lucky!

61.jpg

My sad excuse for a pepper grow, eaten, beaten and late..LOL I took the protection off. Hope they don't get eaten. But the Peaches are gone, so the main course is gone...

62.jpg

Annuum  row

63.jpg

This is really sad...looks like I'll be running them until October for pods. Underneath the death valley looking cracks is wet dirt. I checked ;)

64.jpg

Well lookie here!. Now if the peppers had germed on time, I would have some pods to show. Certainly an off year.

I will say this, I was certainly off when I started this season. I felt so out of place, not now! :party:

99% of the bird netting is in place. We should be able to allow fruits to ripen on the plants this year; first time ever!

Thanks for stopping by!

Congrats on fixing the netting. I see you have a lot of work, but it must be nice to do it if rewards follow.

Nice onions, they're gonna get volley ball sized until harvest :)
Home grown onions are the best. So is garlic. Well, everything is waaay better.

Thanks for the update Scott.

I love the raised beds. They look great.

Congrats in the onions.

I think I heard somewhere. One could take green onions and plant the bottom portions again.

Here's hoping that the worst of the critter-caused damage is over! Your Onions and Tomatoes look fantastic! Do you plant short-day or intermediate-day Onions where you are?

tsurrie said:
Congrats on fixing the netting. I see you have a lot of work, but it must be nice to do it if rewards follow.

Nice onions, they're gonna get volley ball sized until harvest :)
Home grown onions are the best. So is garlic. Well, everything is waaay better.
 Thanks,

Everything is doing well except the peppers, wah... :shh:

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the update Scott.

I love the raised beds. They look great.

Congrats in the onions.

I think I heard somewhere. One could take green onions and plant the bottom portions again.

Hi Chuck!

Good to see you!

Thanks, the raised beds will eventually be all strawberries.

We use the multiplying Onions for green Onions. I've never tried to replant the tops. I normally harvest the Onions when the tops fall over, signaling a "we're done here" for the plant.

stickman said:
Here's hoping that the worst of the critter-caused damage is over! Your Onions and Tomatoes look fantastic! Do you plant short-day or intermediate-day Onions where you are?

Hi Rick!

The critter damage is not over :rolleyes:

BUT...I have it finally figured out. Being I've never had this situation in the 27 years we've been here, it was a bit of a challenge. It seems the coons ate the Peaches, so OK I worked them. The peppers and all the plant damage we've been experiencing is wood rats. LB and I are like, where did they come from this year. we've done nothing different? I trapped one in a live trap. The dogs got 3...good doggies. The rat terrier finally became a dog...LOL. Yesterday I went in the garden and 10 more plants just hammered, and no new entry holes in the bird netting, so it's not coons or possums. I hopped in my truck and bought 3 old school Victor rat traps, they only had 3! This morning 2 dead rats in the traps. So I have the rat issue confirmed. I reset the traps, and read up on the bastages. The compost bins are to be moved from the garden and rat proofed. We already empty the dog bowls of food in the evening. The locals call them "pear rats" as they like to live in the pear cactus. I have a huge one that will go away in the morning.

As for the Onions: the yellows are 1015's, a southern sweet breed.So I'm sure they are short day. The rest would be a guess, as I bought from the box stores. But I would say short. I plant around January 15th, and they're done starting now and lasting over the next 3 weeks. I pull them when the tops fall over.  I'm thinking this years nice grow is all the soil work. And dang the Garlic is killer too this year!

I'm really sad all the peppers, well most have been destroyed. I put a lot of work into them. But we move on. So, I'll be starting more seeds this weekend for the fall season. That I'm blessed with.

I'm sorry to hear about the peppers. That's a bummer. :confused: What kind of ph (soil) do you have over there? They seem to grow ok, at least annums. But those munched ones... damn. This is way worse than my chewed off young Jalapenos. You seem to have bigger critter problems than me (snails and cricket moles)...

At least you'll end up with lot's of tomatoes and onions huh?
Hope the fall season works better for you.

tsurrie said:
I'm sorry to hear about the peppers. That's a bummer. :confused: What kind of ph (soil) do you have over there? They seem to grow ok, at least annums. But those munched ones... damn. This is way worse than my chewed off young Jalapenos. You seem to have bigger critter problems than me (snails and cricket moles)...

At least you'll end up with lot's of tomatoes and onions huh?
Hope the fall season works better for you.
 Thanks,

The soil tested at 7.5 last month. If the rains come I collect rain water and use that as the well water is at 8. This is my first year of critters damaging things. so it's been a learning process. Yes, everything is grow great, even the peppers, but they seem to be critter bait this year. I will adjust ;)  It's like a chess game. Just like at work, with the students abusing the Internet. They teach me as the critters do. But I'd rather be proactive without wasting $$$$ :shh:

Nuts! Critter problems are really persistent unless you figure out how to get rid of what attracted them in the first place or how to reliably keep them away... At least it wasn't Armadillos for you... They may be as dumb as dirt, but they're digging machines, and any ground with enough grubs to draw them is gonna get chewed up in a major way. :rolleyes: Hopefully the fall season turns out much better for you!

stickman said:
Nuts! Critter problems are really persistent unless you figure out how to get rid of what attracted them in the first place or how to reliably keep them away... At least it wasn't Armadillos for you... They may be as dumb as dirt, but they're digging machines, and any ground with enough grubs to draw them is gonna get chewed up in a major way. :rolleyes: Hopefully the fall season turns out much better for you!
 Hi Rick!,

Two more rats in the traps this morning. I sowed more seeds for a fall garden today. Wait I have to go set traps....

OK, traps set. I made one compost bin rat proof today, and will move the other away from the garden, make it rat proof and add the new stuff to it. Once the compost in the rat proof bin is ready I'lI move it too. I also feel under the deck by the pool is where they live. The pool is past it's prime and comes down this fall, along with the deck. Very few 'dillo's around these days, and they can't get in the garden. It's fenced with a concrete barrier 4"s deep so the rabbits can't dig under.

What a shame, I'm down to 15 or so out of 60 peppers. And we go from there :cry:

I planted:

Numex Jals
Jelly Bean Habs-White
Reapers
Billy Bikers
Giant White Habs
MoA
JA Habs
Scotch Bonnet Indian Reds
Pimiento de padron
White Bhut
A Jal cross great for stuffing
And tomorrow a few more...if I have time.

I'm blessed with a long season, so it seems spring is a major bust, I can grow until November :dance:

Dang Scott,

Just can't catch a break. Like you said, nice long season. I can send you some Aji Pineapple plants. There only a couple inches tall, but on there 3rd set of leaves I think. I have tons of goat weed, but they've been potted up to gallons. When I harvest I'll send you a bunch of those if you want.

Devv said:
 Hi Rick!,

Two more rats in the traps this morning. I sowed more seeds for a fall garden today. Wait I have to go set traps....

OK, traps set. I made one compost bin rat proof today, and will move the other away from the garden, make it rat proof and add the new stuff to it. Once the compost in the rat proof bin is ready I'lI move it too. I also feel under the deck by the pool is where they live. The pool is past it's prime and comes down this fall, along with the deck. Very few 'dillo's around these days, and they can't get in the garden. It's fenced with a concrete barrier 4"s deep so the rabbits can't dig under.

What a shame, I'm down to 15 or so out of 60 peppers. And we go from there :cry:

Give those "Pear" Rats one for me too! Sounds like you've got your strategy planned out. Four inches is no matter to 'Dillos... I heard about a guy out in west Texas who wanted a green lawn for his McMansion. It drew Armadillos who chewed it up looking for grubs. He had chain-link fencing buried 4 feet down around his property and the not-so-little buggers dug under it.

On the subject of replacement peppers... do you know of any places locally where you could collect wild Tepins or Pequins? They might give you a crop while you're waiting to put in the ones you're starting for fall. Just a thought...

OCD Chilehead said:
Dang Scott,

Just can't catch a break. Like you said, nice long season. I can send you some Aji Pineapple plants. There only a couple inches tall, but on there 3rd set of leaves I think. I have tons of goat weed, but they've been potted up to gallons. When I harvest I'll send you a bunch of those if you want.
Thanks Chuck! I really appreciate the offer :P

But don't bother, I'll be good, I think things are finally under control. And the traps are waiting. I added 6 more varieties today, so 18 in the oven ;)

stickman said:

Give those "Pear" Rats one for me too! Sounds like you've got your strategy planned out. Four inches is no matter to 'Dillos... I heard about a guy out in west Texas who wanted a green lawn for his McMansion. It drew Armadillos who chewed it up looking for grubs. He had chain-link fencing buried 4 feet down around his property and the not-so-little buggers dug under it.

On the subject of replacement peppers... do you know of any places locally where you could collect wild Tepins or Pequins? They might give you a crop while you're waiting to put in the ones you're starting for fall. Just a thought...

Wow!

Now I'm really glad we don't see many here! But I did see one yesterday when we went into town on the side of the road.

So between yesterday and today we've gotten 1.6"s of rain, gotta love that! I just hope it doesn't split the maters. We put up about 100 gallons of rain water. I so want to have a 2,500 gallon unit to collect rain water. But 2 new cars this fall put the brakes on that! We were way over due....

Here's a few pics from what's left:

68.jpg

This group has largely been left alone.

67.jpg

"Justa Hab" putting on some flowers.

74.jpg

Best plant I have, an OW from last years Growdown. Note the small orange spot to the middle right.

73.jpg

First time I've ever seen one of these, looks like a Stegostaurus grasshopper..LOL

Anyone know what this is?

65.jpg

While we're talking bugs, this little guy posed for me on the bee watering station.

66.jpg

Not a row that was left alone :confused:

70.jpg

There used to be 18-20 plants here :shh:

69.jpg

In prior years my peppers did this. Go figure.

71.jpg

Tightened up security with the compost bins, well one of them...

72.jpg

One of LB's Pineapples, she has 3 working this spring.

So I added Large yellow brains,  f4 naga brains, urfa bieber, tepin yellow drop, fatalli white, and wait brain fart, gotta go look again..oh yeah, red manzano to the list I posted for fall. All from 2014 seed stock, fingers crossed.

Some Onions coming in, Garlic close, picked about 25 maters, and the bird netting is a cheap blessing. That and the calmag applications (foiliar) have us with zero BER so far.

So my question is....why are young pepper plants the choice of rabbits, mice and rats over the rest of the garden?

'Yall have a great week!

Devv said:
73.jpg

First time I've ever seen one of these, looks like a Stegostaurus grasshopper..LOL

Anyone know what this is?

It looks like a Wheel Bug except for the color. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-09_wheel_bug.htm
Looking into it further... I see the immature Wheel Bugs are orange in color   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_bug

Plants are looking great that dodged the critters, and LB is probably ecstatic about the Pineapples. Keep on truckin"!

Damn man you sure put a lot of work around those peppers. Looks like its one of "those" seasons where everything is going south :D, but you will end up with some peppers sooner or later. And the onions oh man looking fine there :D so does the tomato plants :D

stickman said:

It looks like a Wheel Bug except for the color. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-09_wheel_bug.htm
Looking into it further... I see the immature Wheel Bugs are orange in color   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_bug

Plants are looking great that dodged the critters, and LB is probably ecstatic about the Pineapples. Keep on truckin"!
 I think you nailed it!

I left it be thinking it was a good guy, now I'm impressed after reading up on it. It and just tons of lady bugs in the garden this season. They make up for the rats...well kind of. Not liking the sting effects though, they're talking weeks here!

And yes LB is loving it, she's really into the Pineapples and Strawberries she has going.

Chilima said:
Damn man you sure put a lot of work around those peppers. Looks like its one of "those" seasons where everything is going south :D, but you will end up with some peppers sooner or later. And the onions oh man looking fine there :D so does the tomato plants :D

Thanks!

Yeah, gotta take the good with the bad. Never did see a rat unless I was mowing the fields. But I guess with all the open land around here I gave them a feeding ground, I'm turning into their cemetery. :D

Back