• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Pulpiteer said:
Man, the glog is off to an awesome start! I love the soil prep - nice work on the cover crops.  I want to do more with cover crops as I'm reading and hearing a lot of positive stuff about them.  And then the food... oh my... Looking so good!

Thanks Andy!

I've been doing the cover crop for years. It helps with keeping the nutes from leaching down and provides a green manure. You simply can't go wrong planting a cover crop.

PaulS said:
I'm with you on the raw fish, I hate it.
I'd like to give this recipe a go I'm always up for cooking something new

Let me know how you like them, a totally different dish for sure.

beerbreath81 said:
Scott,

So evnvious of your long grow season, good to see your of to a good start with the soil prep and hopefully you can get a source for more leaves. I'm taking notes and I hope to add some more leaves in the spring to mine as well, THP member "catherinew" has been a very helpful source getting leaves for me. Also, wanted to mention that when I was over at her garden last season I noticed she had peices of old carpet down on her pathways for keeping the weeds down, Ive never had a garden big enough to worry about keeping the weeds down but thought this idea was brilliant, I may have to give it a try this year if i can find some remnants on craigslist.

I will also give ya a big thumbs up on the tamales! They look damn tasty, I have never made them before because was a little sketchy on the whole process.  Thanks for the tutorial, with it I may have to give them a go.

Hi Anthony,

They filled my truck again yesterday, and plenty left to be raked ;)  I like to let the leaves age and turn them under in the fall; so this spring the leaves and mulch will be used for weed cover. Anything brown consumes a lot of nitrogen, so I wait until the grow has finished.

I like the carpet idea, I use PVC conveyor belt material around the grapes as a mulch. I works great ;)

Gotta try the Tamales at least once, just scale down the recipe the first time...

JJJessee said:
Man, that tamale essay pushed me over the edge. I just gotta try making a batch --now that my freezer's getting a little room in it.
That soil looks good enough eat! It just don't look like Tejas anymore :D
Ahi Tuna. A  light searing with a cold center- wasabi until you cry. I could eat my weight in it. You gotta try it. Raw oysters too for that matter ;)
Good to see some little ones popping.

Thanks JJJ!

That soil is finally getting there ;)

Truth is I've been afraid to eat raw fish, the texture scares me.. LOL

Peter S said:
Wow, those tamales look delicious. Good luck with your grow this season! 
 Thanks Peter!

The peppers are finally sprouting some true leaves, and I'm over due to show progress. I just wanted a few to show some progress.

'Yall stay warm!

Well it's blowing like crazy and a hard freeze slated for the morning, the citrus trees are wrapped in sheets and all the warm weather pots have been brought inside. So far a very cool or cold Tejas winter.

Just to prove I'm in the game:

28.jpg

29.jpg

It's gloomy skies here for sure! OK, 48 out of 70 hooked and sprouted, one lost to helmet head (surgery failed), one just keeled over after 24 hours. Seeds started 12-21. I'm starting to see some growth finally as most are starting to put on the true leaves. Before I used a heat mat germ times were 3 weeks average.

5 or 6 tomato seeds have popped, they were started 12-29.

Thanks for reading!

Coming along nicely, Scott.  A heat mat is a godsend for sure.  

Seems so unnatural to think "hard freeze" where you live, but most of the nation is in a frigid state right now.  We are sitting at six degrees as I type.

Strong start Scott 

Not only in the game...those plants are first string !
I can't wait to see your garden in full swing, ...each year you  fine tune  it from the soil through the composition in planting to harvest(s) and then some.

I'm happy to see you're keeping the top layer of medium dry......the seedlings roots will drive down searching for the water......and no fungal gnats.

Glad to see your seedlings doing fine Scott! It won't be time to start mine for a couple of months yet, so it's an encouraging thing to see others do well. :)

I can sympathize about dealing with the killing cold... it's -6 degrees here ATM, and -18 with the wind chill. Good thing we kept the brass monkeys in last night... ;)

cone9 said:
Coming along nicely, Scott.  A heat mat is a godsend for sure.  

Seems so unnatural to think "hard freeze" where you live, but most of the nation is in a frigid state right now.  We are sitting at six degrees as I type.

Thanks Dave!

The heat mat has really made a difference! This is just my 3rd year growing from seeds and my hard headed self finally caved into the heat mat...LOL

It was 29°, they missed the mark, it was supposed to be 25°. Glad it wasn't!

Sorry about the 6°!

tctenten said:
Looking good Scott. Are you using those aluminum trays to bottom water or just as a drip tray?

Thanks Terry!

I use them for bottom watering and putting the cups in after they come out of the water as they go on a pine surface.

PIC 1 said:
Strong start Scott 

Not only in the game...those plants are first string !
I can't wait to see your garden in full swing, ...each year you  fine tune  it from the soil through the composition in planting to harvest(s) and then some.

I'm happy to see you're keeping the top layer of medium dry......the seedlings roots will drive down searching for the water......and no fungal gnats.

Thanks Greg!

I had gnats last year, and used the Mosquito dunks to get rid of them. This year I made sure the soil had plenty of time to dry out, as I can only find the MG potting soil. And I have dunks in the rain water I saved; I also have a box fan running 24x7.

thirdcoasttx said:
Yay seedlings!!! It's on now! Supposed to freeze round your place huh? I think we are looking at 34 in the morning. Looking good Scott glad to see you've got some sprouts.
 Thanks Daniel!

I did freeze this morning but not like they said it would. Saturday is supposed to be another chance of the colder weather, with possible freezing rain.

stickman said:
Glad to see your seedlings doing fine Scott! It won't be time to start mine for a couple of months yet, so it's an encouraging thing to see others do well. :)

I can sympathize about dealing with the killing cold... it's -6 degrees here ATM, and -18 with the wind chill. Good thing we kept the brass monkeys in last night... ;)

Thanks Rick!

Haven't had to deal with real cold since '86; first day at work started at -13° in Manassas Va.

We didn't stay there very long ;)

Sorry 'Yall have to deal with those extreme temps! I have 90 days of really hot weather every summer; but at least I can go do some work early in the day.

sicman said:
Stay warm. Nice with the sprouts I got me some babies waking up already also. There so nice when there young.

Thanks Siccy!

Half the fun is getting them ready for their permanent place, which here is the dirt ;)

"Just to prove I'm in the game:"

Never had a doubt, my friend    ;) 

Looks like you have a pretty good representation
of all your varieties.

I notice a bit of acceleration in my Round One germination rate.  
I suspect it will wind up sort of like a Bell Curve.

6 days - 2 varieties, three hooks
7 days - 4 varieties, 11 hooks
8 days - 4 varieties 18 hooks.

:cheers:   Here's to awesomeness in Devville, Texas!

Man, those are some happy looking seedlings! (Wait 'till they see that soil you made for them, though. :party: ) I decided to splurge on a heat mat this year, too. I hope I can manage similar results.
     I love your idea for pot labels. Simple, biodegradable, easy to source. Consider it stolen!  :D

JJJessee said:
My dirt probably froze 6" last night. 
5° in the AM but the wind laid after dark.

Yeah a heat mat almost makes it too easy ;)
Those cotys do  look particularly strong. 

Stay warm.

Well here's to warmer weather! 5° haint no fun, fo nobody!

Agreed on the heat mat! I wish I'd purchased one last season. I guess I got spoiled the first season when without a mat they popped like crazy, not last year....

Tomorrow is the last miserable day for a few, fireplace is running wide open ;)  You too, stay warm!

organic pepper said:
Them seedling looking good Scott!

Thanks Aaron!

Roguejim said:
Scott, are those only chinenses you have started, or do you start all the varieties at the same time?

Hi Jim,

I started all of them on the same day. Actually I'm behind some; I had the Christmas trip and didn't want tiny ladies to have to fend for themselves while I was gone. I'll be at roughly 14 weeks for dirt day.

Essegi said:
Sorry if i'm late to the party, i took a break from glog section, but i'm back!
Glad to see all is shinier than ever! And already food pics! Digging that! :D

Thanks SG!

Looking forward to your glog with those fantastic pics again!

GA Growhead said:
Looking good Scott!

Thanks Jason!

PaulG said:
"Just to prove I'm in the game:"

Never had a doubt, my friend    ;) 

Looks like you have a pretty good representation
of all your varieties.

I notice a bit of acceleration in my Round One germination rate.  
I suspect it will wind up sort of like a Bell Curve.

6 days - 2 varieties, three hooks
7 days - 4 varieties, 11 hooks
8 days - 4 varieties 18 hooks.

:cheers:   Here's to awesomeness in Devville, Texas!

Thanks Paul!

Most excellent germ times there my friend!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Man, those are some happy looking seedlings! (Wait 'till they see that soil you made for them, though. :party: ) I decided to splurge on a heat mat this year, too. I hope I can manage similar results.
     I love your idea for pot labels. Simple, biodegradable, easy to source. Consider it stolen!  :D

Thanks HM01!

Good luck starting the ladies this season, you'll be pleased with the mat for sure.

To be honest, the labels were LB's (wifey) idea. Last year I some how made the spread sheet upside down, West where East was in the garden. Was mas embarrassing. That and I had 210 pellets I was trying to germ. So I had quite a mess trying to sort out what was what. It started out organized, or so I thought...LOL ;)

jedisushi06 said:
Dig those tamales.  I make my masa with rendered hog fat instead of lard.  I like to do mine with red and green chile. 

Hi Mikey!

This was our first try all by ourselves, we used half the amount of lard that was used when Alice and LB made them. So where do you get rendered hog fat? And what kind of chili's?

sicman said:
WHAT!  How did i miss the tamales?  One of my favorite grubs of all time. These look great.

22.jpg

I've eaten many, many different kinds of Tamales over the years; and Alice's recipe is the best IMHO.

They're worth a try for sure. I posted these because of talk about a good recipe last year in Jamie's glog ;)

I just hope a few will give them a whirl....

Back