• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Yesterday the weather broke, but my sorry self was in bed with some kind of bug. All I wanted to do is sleep; at least no respiratory issues are involved. But they can keep the splitting headache! Today was better but another lost day, and it hit 70° today! My daughter bought my an acoustical guitar for Christmas; so I stayed inside and worked on my skills. Dang these 56 year old hands are stiff! I've been wanting one for 25 years :shh:

Hopefully tomorrow I will be up to a full days work. As I have a ton to do! My goal was to finish tilling, grind the leaves, and dig the holes for the sunshade addition. I smell a mid week day off before it get cold again later in the week :D :shh:

jedisushi06 said:
You def want the purple leaf pheno of the black thai. The stem of the plant should turn purple

Yes sir!

I will grow that one out for sure! I'll chop the other and root it once it gets a little larger.

PaulG said:
Great looking starts, Scott.  
The Black Thai seedlings should be fun to compare throughout the season!

Thanks Paul!

This is the best time of the year for me, starting the seeds. I look forward to seeing how the two phenos play out!

windchicken said:
Wow, you're going strong already, Scott! Nice! 

What do you do with that ground cover vegetation when it's time to plant out?

Thanks Gary!

I till it in 4-6 weeks before I plant. The goal is tie up the nutes while it grows, till it under and make them available for the new crop. It provides a slow release of the goodies that would normally leach down during the winter. While it grows the rye creates it's own weather; self watering with morning dew, which keeps the soil moist. This helps break down all the leaves and RCW I till in at the end of the season. It's getting better every year ;)

Jeff H said:
Nice looking plants Scott.

Thanks Jeff!

So far it's been good!

Pulpiteer said:

Nice! Getting some good looking true leaves.  I like this pic!

Thanks Andy!

Getting close to hitting them with some nutes ;)

Plants look great, Scott.  I just put water to my seed tonight.

btw - I've been enjoying some good Ruby Red Texas grapefruit the past couple days.  A big shout out to the great state of Texas!

I'm caught up with your new run at 2015.Everything looks out-friggin standing Scott.That hard work you put in last fall ,you will be rewarded for.
  Good luck with the peppers and family. :party:

Peter S said:
Plants are looking great Scott!

Thanks Peter!

cone9 said:
Plants look great, Scott.  I just put water to my seed tonight.

btw - I've been enjoying some good Ruby Red Texas grapefruit the past couple days.  A big shout out to the great state of Texas!

Thanks Dave!

I have some grapefruit seeds I want to plant, need to get after it. We have a Lime, and a Mandarin Orange tree, the thing is we're right on the line where they can handle the cold. At 25° they die :tear:

randyp said:
     I'm caught up with your new run at 2015.Everything looks out-friggin standing Scott.That hard work you put in last fall ,you will be rewarded for.
  Good luck with the peppers and family. :party:

Thanks Randy!

I was on my feet again today and did some tilling. I also removed the railroad ties from the garden, they just make more work, weeding on both sides...

Onions should have went in today, so I'm already behind...

Lime Tree = Gin and Tonic

Devv said:

Black Thai, seeds from Mikey. Two phenos going on there...

32.jpg

A little better shot of the purple gal...

33.jpg

Isabell Island Hab

36.jpg

Just curious about the taste from the black thai and the Isabell Island Hab. I'm a huge fan of habs and thai's. Going to try some habs thats new to me this year that  just arrived in the mail.
Habanero Cancun
Habanero Jaguar
Habanero Manzano
Red Savina
Aji Habs

I also got in some Prik Luang Thai seeds I'm itching to try.

Looking good there brother!

organic pepper said:

Just curious about the taste from the black thai and the Isabell Island Hab. I'm a huge fan of habs and thai's. Going to try some habs thats new to me this year that  just arrived in the mail.
Habanero Cancun
Habanero Jaguar
Habanero Manzano
Red Savina
Aji Habs

I also got in some Prik Luang Thai seeds I'm itching to try.

Looking good there brother!

Thanks Aaron!

This is my first year growing either of them. Mikey sent the Black Thai, and Jim sent the Isabell Island Hab.

Well I had the garden all prepped (mostly) and a nasty day today. BUT it dropped 1.5"s of rain! No erosion, it just soaked it up, which is the idea ;)  It will take a few days of sunshine to dry it out enough to get the Onions in the ground. They SAY...it's going to be a cooler spring this season. NOT COOL! Not unless the summer rolls in later than normal. I have a very short spring grow before the death heat arrives; so it is what it is. I'll just plant and see what happens.

A few pics of the ladies in the wings:

38.jpg

Jack's Choc Super via Mikey. I planted 2 and the other one came up and crashed the same day. So I replanted.

39.jpg

A couple of Ma Wiri Wiri, from Jim. I have 2 in solo's, and when they get a bit taller will snip and clone...

40.jpg

Naga Brain (red) F4. Gary sent me F3 seeds last season and this is from one of the pods...OP of course.

41.jpg

Cream Fatalii, seeds harvested from pods Dave sent me.

42.jpg

MoA, Walkgood sent me seeds for last seasons grow, this is from one of the pods...

43.jpg

A few Naga Kings, that need thinning. Seed from Rick's grow, via Lourens.

44.jpg

By far the tallest gals of them all, Brazillian Starfish, harvested from pods sent to me. Spank me, I forget who...thinking Dave..

45.jpg

White Hab, store bought seeds from last year...

46.jpg

BOC, seeds from Rick.

47.jpg

3 Tepin X Lemmon Drops, that need thinning. That will happen this weekend.

Thanks for reading!

Lookin good Scott! We got that crappy weather today as well, still raining here. Today was my first day training at my new job, figures it would rain. It always seems to be dreary anytime anything eventful happens in my life lol. Keep em green!

Devv said:
Yesterday the weather broke, but my sorry self was in bed with some kind of bug. All I wanted to do is sleep; at least no respiratory issues are involved. But they can keep the splitting headache! Today was better but another lost day, and it hit 70° today! My daughter bought my an acoustical guitar for Christmas; so I stayed inside and worked on my skills. Dang these 56 year old hands are stiff! I've been wanting one for 25 years :shh:
Better late than never.:D Hoping that bug has been banished!
Pretty hot at your place!
Pepper photos look awesome!

44.jpg

By far the tallest gals of them all, Brazillian Starfish, harvested from pods sent to me. Spank me, I forget who...thinking Dave

The plant those pods came from grew to 6 1/2 feet tall.  You may have to raise your sun shade!

Your seedlings look like they are off to a great start, Scott.

Looking great Scott! Hope you're over the bug you had. Seems we got your weather here too last night. Heavy rain, and absolutely crazy wind! Awesome pics too!

East Texas Heat said:
Lookin good Scott! We got that crappy weather today as well, still raining here. Today was my first day training at my new job, figures it would rain. It always seems to be dreary anytime anything eventful happens in my life lol. Keep em green!

Thanks Bruce!

That crappy weather is supposed to leave us for a week, I'm so ready for that! Good luck with the new job!

organic pepper said:
Hey Scott, Send me a pm if you wanna try out some of those other habs if you dont have them all ready and prik luang thai's. Cheers Pal.

Will do, and thanks!

randyp said:
   Looking good Scott,good to see green in cups.Only thing in cups up here is Beer for now. ;)

Thanks Randy!

Nothing wrong with beer in cups!

Essegi said:
Better late than never. :D Hoping that bug has been banished!
Pretty hot at your place!
Pepper photos look awesome!

It's gone!

It's "supposed" to be highs in the 60-70's here during January, with the occasional cool front. But the last 30 days have been the opposite, less than 5 nice days :mope: 

Thanks Essegi!

cone9 said:
44.jpg

By far the tallest gals of them all, Brazillian Starfish, harvested from pods sent to me. Spank me, I forget who...thinking Dave

The plant those pods came from grew to 6 1/2 feet tall.  You may have to raise your sun shade!

I hope to have to!

PaulG said:
Your seedlings look like they are off to a great start, Scott.

Thanks Paul!

So far so good! Somehow I have managed not to kill them...LOL

MeatHead1313 said:
Looking great Scott! Hope you're over the bug you had. Seems we got your weather here too last night. Heavy rain, and absolutely crazy wind! Awesome pics too!

Thanks Chris!

Yeah that weather was terrible! I think 'yall got more rain, judging by the radar images. We got 1.7"s

Back