• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Scot, your starts look awesome - about 3 weeks or so?  
Very robust specimens that look ready to take off.

Looks like about 100 of them?

I can't wait to see the Springtime pics of your spread!

Pinoy83 said:
nice seeds and those cashew nuts is  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:  they look onolicious...... :fireball:  :fireball:
and babies and doin pretty darn goood

Thanks Jericson!

I made the mistake of eating a nice hand full of the Cashews last night, dang they lit me up! Funny, I can't get anyone to try a second helping...LOL :D 

Peter S said:
Those plants are looking beautiful!

Thanks Peter!

They're growing like weeds!

beerbreath81 said:
Plants are looking good Scott, cant wait to see them in the dirt. The cashews look mean, do you know what powder he used on them? You said you were out deer hunting were you able to bag one?

Thanks Anthony!

Dirt day can't come soon enough ;)

Not sure what powder he used, but most definitely a super. They're a bit hot to eat like one would normally eat Cashews, so I added more Cashews, and they're still hot as heck! Whatever powder it was it's a sleeper, you think that wasn't so hot, and bam! I say good job Lourens!
PaulG said:
Scot, your starts look awesome - about 3 weeks or so?  
Very robust specimens that look ready to take off.

Looks like about 100 of them?

I can't wait to see the Springtime pics of your spread!

Thanks Paul!

Most popped about 3 weeks ago, and then there's always the stragglers.

I have around 60-65 plants at the moment; going for an easier grow this time around. Last season was too crazy! It would be OK if it rained more here, but I don't see that happening ;)

Well yesterday was watering day, one thing I didn't expect was the damned Aphids. I saw sign on one plant and then found 50-60% had just loads of Aphids on the bottoms of the leaves. Plants are too small, worried about losing them all so I strayed from an organic treatment and used an Ortho product. They need to be gone or I'll lose my grow. And it's too late to replant for me here. Spent two hours treating them all. Just how did they get in a sealed room? Well by now they're hating life :D This weekend when I have the time I'll trim the lower leaves so the first leaves are above the top of the solo cup, as they have settled down deeper into the cups.

I'm thinking some of them are close to ready for a larger pot, so I'll look at a few root systems to check. I like to up-pot before they become root bound.

My fan died, so I bought a "Walmart cheapo" this afternoon.

I've been struggling with time this winter, trying to keep up with all the glogs, AND mine. Will have some pics this weekend; AND, I should be able to start to introduce them to real sunlight if the forecast holds true.

Damn the aphids! That sucks but at least you know enough to bring out the big guns for this fight.  I dread this ever happening to me so I really feel for you right now.  I would move all the plants out of the room and clean the whole damn thing top to bottom.  Do you know where they might have come from like an overwinter plant maybe? There is still plenty of time and if I remember correctly you plan on two separate grows.  I usually never start my seed until after the super bowl so clean it up good and start some more my friend.  I plan to use nice days in February to also stage my plants outside.  Keep them rotating and keep it neat and clean.  Good luck!

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Damn the aphids! That sucks but at least you know enough to bring out the big guns for this fight.  I dread this ever happening to me so I really feel for you right now.  I would move all the plants out of the room and clean the whole damn thing top to bottom.  Do you know where they might have come from like an overwinter plant maybe? There is still plenty of time and if I remember correctly you plan on two separate grows.  I usually never start my seed until after the super bowl so clean it up good and start some more my friend.  I plan to use nice days in February to also stage my plants outside.  Keep them rotating and keep it neat and clean.  Good luck!
Thanks Cappy!

I've used wettable sulfur in the past on larger plants, but it takes more than one application in most cases. So that's the reason I went with the Ortho; especially with the plants less than 4"s tall. I'm growing in a new location, an insulated room in the shop. I did bring in a Bonsai a few weeks ago. I haven't seen a bug on it, nor has it ever shown any sign of infection, but it may have carried the bastages. I moved it out 2 weeks ago. I'm too close to plant out to start over, so I need to make these work. The second run will be a late June, early July plant out to take advantage of the late season. I can grow warm weather crops until December. I've dealt with Aphids before and prevailed in the past. Funny thing is I never saw one until the 2013 garden.

Sounds like you took appropriate action. Aphids are brutal when they get going. All female, reproducing asexually until they kill their hosts, then growing wings to find more plants. They killed all of my bonchis this spring, kept one in another room that I could police, my old man Chiero that's two years old now. Nuked the grow shelf thoufh, haven't seen em since even though I still have the ficuses in the same room. I try to stay vigilant though.

You'll save em. Your thumbs are too green to start over now.

Too bad about the aphids.  Hope they've been well-nuked by the Ortho.  I found some the other day on one of my OWs and I'm out of spray.  So I ordered some Safer Insecticidal Soap.  It's concentrated and on sale, just what I like.  I have a bag of wettable sulfur and plan to make my own sulfur/pyrethrin spray, but have had trouble getting the Pyrethrum plants established.  I think I got three established last year, so maybe this year I'll get some blooms.

That about turned my stomach, after my fight last year with them. This season I will try something called azatrol, if necessary. I think if I found them this early in my grow room, I'd torch the whole damned mess. Too much stress...I couldn't take it.

Scott, what is the Ortho product you're using?  Thanks.

Bummer on the aphids Scott! I've had those in my garage on early young plants before and it's definitely no fun. When you have a hundred plants or more and each evening you're inspecting the seedlings with a dental mirror, the stress level can get out of control. Glad you've hit em hard. I did not go heavy, but I did have some rather unattractive plants that struggled some after.

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery!

maximumcapsicum said:
Sounds like you took appropriate action. Aphids are brutal when they get going. All female, reproducing asexually until they kill their hosts, then growing wings to find more plants. They killed all of my bonchis this spring, kept one in another room that I could police, my old man Chiero that's two years old now. Nuked the grow shelf thoufh, haven't seen em since even though I still have the ficuses in the same room. I try to stay vigilant though.

You'll save em. Your thumbs are too green to start over now.

So far they have had little impact on the plants, just a bit of damage. The thing is are they gone?

This weekend, which starts tomorrow (yes!) I'll pull everything out, trim the lower leaves and spray the grow station.

This arrived in the mail a few days ago, I should have taken pics then, but too much is going on. I do try and visit everyone's glogs...and am not doing a very good job of it.

55.jpg

56.jpg

Thanks Adam!

tctenten said:
Scott good luck with the aphids.   Hopefully the Ortho will take care of it for you.

Thanks Terry!

I'm sure it will do the trick. I rarely go nuclear, but these are sooo young I felt I had to.

Sawyer said:
Too bad about the aphids.  Hope they've been well-nuked by the Ortho.  I found some the other day on one of my OWs and I'm out of spray.  So I ordered some Safer Insecticidal Soap.  It's concentrated and on sale, just what I like.  I have a bag of wettable sulfur and plan to make my own sulfur/pyrethrin spray, but have had trouble getting the Pyrethrum plants established.  I think I got three established last year, so maybe this year I'll get some blooms.

I used a mix of wettable sulfur and Pyrethrum last year, it knocked them back after the first application. I couldn't find any in "D-town" and didn't want to take 2.5 to 3 hours to drive to SA. So I settled on what I could find here.

Roguejim said:
That about turned my stomach, after my fight last year with them. This season I will try something called azatrol, if necessary. I think if I found them this early in my grow room, I'd torch the whole damned mess. Too much stress...I couldn't take it.

Scott, what is the Ortho product you're using?  Thanks.

Hi Jim,

Yeah Aphids do suck, and treating them organically works much better on a larger, stronger plant. But these gals are tiny still, and I was surprised at how many I found. Last year I had a few on the plants but they were sporting wood on the trunk already.

I used the garden-flower product, and it says it won't harm the plants. I sure hope not!

randyp said:
   That sucs Scott.I hope it's a hiccup and not a sign for 2015. :confused:

Hi Randy,

I've learned that pepper plants seem to be an Aphid favorite. I've never seen one on a tomato plant to this day; but have seen them on the Peach trees.

Oh, I intend to prevail!

capsidadburn said:
Bummer on the aphids Scott! I've had those in my garage on early young plants before and it's definitely no fun. When you have a hundred plants or more and each evening you're inspecting the seedlings with a dental mirror, the stress level can get out of control. Glad you've hit em hard. I did not go heavy, but I did have some rather unattractive plants that struggled some after.

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery!

Thanks Mike!

It seems time is an issue this year, I need longer days! I come home and before I know it the wife comes home, and I'm done. I make a point to spend time with her ;)

And yes, stressful to find an infestation. I'm still at odds as to where they came from....

PaulG said:
:sick: Yuck on #163, Scott.

Good on ya for taking appropriate measures.
Will be good to get them outside where the
predators can keep 'em under control.

Thanks Paul!

I hope to have them in the sunlight this weekend, we have some more seasonal weather forecast. Just 3 more weeks and we start to warm enough to plant the tomatoes and seed crops. This has been the coldest winter since I moved to Texas in 1978. Global warming? I say NOT!

Thanks for stopping by and offering well wishes!

PaulS said:
Hopefully having aphids will be a one time thing and you've got it out of the way nice and early! Fingers crossed

Thanks Paul!

Tomorrow they get a trim, and some will get a re-pot if I'm happy with their root development, they will also get rinsed and put outside for the weekend!

Pulpiteer said:
Sucks about the aphids. They are terrible inside. I hope things are getting under control now.

I'm keeping a close eye on them, but I think we should be good!

I can see the damage they did, brown spots on the leaves.

So today I spent 5 hours putting some of the gals in new shoes. Some of that time was spent sifting used potting soil.

57.jpg

58.jpg

Most were ready for the next stage in pots. Not really root bound, but as you can see they're circling. For me this is perfect timing ;)

59.jpg

Today was warm, it hit 67° I put 3 boxes under the 30% shade cloth. It  looks like they can stay outside a few days to harden off.

60.jpg

I'm using the trailer on the driveway, it's really close to the grow station.

Tomorrow I have to finish the few remaining plants and move to up-potting the maties. That and finish digging the post holes for the sunshade frame expansion, and grind more leaves, and till some more, and plant more Onions...and...and.

It never stops

Yes very beautiful plants and much farther along than I first thought.  They look good in their new shoes and growing leaps and bounds, very pretty plants this early in the season.  Stay vigilant with the aphids and let's hope some natural predators decides to take care of them for you.  I have never used a shade cloth before but that seems like a really ingenious way to harden off the plants.  Roots look very healthy and I agree not to let the get too root bound before potting up.  I have pulled mature plants at the end of the season and knock off the dirt and you can still see the shape of the solo cup in the roots.  Your well on your way to another great season my friend, your plants look great!

Plants look fantastic Scott! Nice use of the grow cloth and local conditions. It's cool to see how you set up and adapt your grow. They're gonna be stretchin up soon. They gonna pose in front of the pool this year?

Back