• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Plants are picture perfect could not be any happier under your care Scott.  Will you please tell me again when mix you are using in your cups and what light source cause your plants look spectacular like I said.  When they get outside they will be treated even better in you lush garden soil under the shade net your plants have the best life.  Some people just have a green thumb and others like yourself are green like the Hulk!

It is because of this glog I had to try a Brazilian Starfish. But when I went to buy it, I found I could also get an orange Brazilian Starfish.  Well, I'd be an idiot not to do that, right?  I mean, if I'm going to grow a Brazilian Starfish... and what is that?  Another Baccatum?  This one peach?  It's called an Aji Melocoton - a pepperlady special.  Okay, I'll get that too...
Dang it.  My grow room is not going to be big enough. This forum kills me.  I hope you're happy.

Devv said:

Thanks Aaron!

This is my first year growing either of them. Mikey sent the Black Thai, and Jim sent the Isabell Island Hab.

Well I had the garden all prepped (mostly) and a nasty day today. BUT it dropped 1.5"s of rain! No erosion, it just soaked it up, which is the idea ;)  It will take a few days of sunshine to dry it out enough to get the Onions in the ground. They SAY...it's going to be a cooler spring this season. NOT COOL! Not unless the summer rolls in later than normal. I have a very short spring grow before the death heat arrives; so it is what it is. I'll just plant and see what happens.

A few pics of the ladies in the wings:

38.jpg

Jack's Choc Super via Mikey. I planted 2 and the other one came up and crashed the same day. So I replanted.

39.jpg

A couple of Ma Wiri Wiri, from Jim. I have 2 in solo's, and when they get a bit taller will snip and clone...

40.jpg

Naga Brain (red) F4. Gary sent me F3 seeds last season and this is from one of the pods...OP of course.

41.jpg

Cream Fatalii, seeds harvested from pods Dave sent me.

42.jpg

MoA, Walkgood sent me seeds for last seasons grow, this is from one of the pods...

43.jpg

A few Naga Kings, that need thinning. Seed from Rick's grow, via Lourens.

44.jpg

By far the tallest gals of them all, Brazillian Starfish, harvested from pods sent to me. Spank me, I forget who...thinking Dave..

45.jpg

White Hab, store bought seeds from last year...

46.jpg

BOC, seeds from Rick.

47.jpg

3 Tepin X Lemmon Drops, that need thinning. That will happen this weekend.

Thanks for reading!
I'm glad the Isabela/Galapagos Island Hab, and Ma Wiri Wiri germinated for you.  Let me know if any of the others I sent do not germinate.

maximumcapsicum said:
This is great man. Checking in as much as I can. Can't wait for another season!

Thanks for stopping by Adam!

Looking forward to another fantastic grow from you!
Peter S said:
Those plants look awesome. That Brazilian starfish is raging. Love it.

Thanks Peter!

So far so good!

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Plants are picture perfect could not be any happier under your care Scott.  Will you please tell me again when mix you are using in your cups and what light source cause your plants look spectacular like I said.  When they get outside they will be treated even better in you lush garden soil under the shade net your plants have the best life.  Some people just have a green thumb and others like yourself are green like the Hulk!

Hi Cappy!

I start them in Jiffy pellets, as soon as they stand up I put them in the solos with MG potting soil (it's all I can find around here). I have some under 41K '8's' and some under 64K '5's'. Once in the cups I bottom water, some I hit up top if they are slow, but with very little. I keep the rain water inside and have mosquito dunks floating in the water.

Pretty much I try to leave them the heck alone and let them do their thing ;)

I saw your plants, nothing to sneeze at, they will serve you well!

Pulpiteer said:
It is because of this glog I had to try a Brazilian Starfish. But when I went to buy it, I found I could also get an orange Brazilian Starfish.  Well, I'd be an idiot not to do that, right?  I mean, if I'm going to grow a Brazilian Starfish... and what is that?  Another Baccatum?  This one peach?  It's called an Aji Melocoton - a pepperlady special.  Okay, I'll get that too...
Dang it.  My grow room is not going to be big enough. This forum kills me.  I hope you're happy.

LOL Andy!

I'm in the same boat!

And then there's the seeds that show up in the mail. What's one to do, but stick em in the dirt?

Yeah, I ran out of room big time last season, but so what? :shh:

Roguejim said:
I'm glad the Isabela/Galapagos Island Hab, and Ma Wiri Wiri germinated for you.  Let me know if any of the others I sent do not germinate.

Will do!

"I start them in Jiffy pellets, as soon as they stand up I put them in the solos with MG potting soil (it's all I can find around here). I have some under 41K '8's' and some under 64K '5's'. Once in the cups I bottom water, some I hit up top if they are slow, but with very little. I keep the rain water inside and have mosquito dunks floating in the water." 

This just makes me wonder why so many folks have difficulty with MG potting soil.  Scott, at what point/time in the seedling's life do you begin to add nutes?

sicman said:
Double hockey sticks those solo cups looking nice with green in them.

Thanks Siccy!

JJJessee said:
Plants are lookin' good and those photographs are killer! The lighting is superb.

Thanks JJJ!

It's a bit easier to get the lighting correct when they're under the lights. I use a tri-pod and set the camera to macro.

Roguejim said:
"I start them in Jiffy pellets, as soon as they stand up I put them in the solos with MG potting soil (it's all I can find around here). I have some under 41K '8's' and some under 64K '5's'. Once in the cups I bottom water, some I hit up top if they are slow, but with very little. I keep the rain water inside and have mosquito dunks floating in the water."

This just makes me wonder why so many folks have difficulty with MG potting soil.  Scott, at what point/time in the seedling's life do you begin to add nutes?

Hi Jim,

I started the seeds about a month ago; and today I bottom watered with 1 once of fish emulsion mixed into a 2.75 gallon container filled with rain water. Time to kick it up a notch ;)

I water depending on how the solo's feel when I pick them up. The peppers seem to drink more slowly compared to the tomato seedlings, but weight is how I judge the need to water. Pretty much, they like to be left alone ;)

One thing I've learned is to just let them be, but watch for signs of a need. So I'm watering about once a week, sometimes sooner.

I have the oven timer set to 30 minutes, and then I go into the shop and move things around. 5 minutes left on the timer....

Edit: Crap I had an edit, but CRS set in..LOL. It will come back..

wahlee76 said:
Great looking plants! Can't be anything less than a fantastic year if they continue like this :onfire:
 Thanks Wally!

So far I have killed any....yet ;)

PaulG said:
Haha, Andy.  +1 #123.

I guess we're all in the same boat regarding Andy's comment ;)

thirdcoasttx said:
Still looking good my friend, I don't know about you but I'm ready to get some plants outside!!! We will see how this crazy Texas weather goes I guess.

Thanks Daniel!

They say "a late spring" this year. And as cold as it's been here that may be true. I normally plant peppers in the dirt around march 15th, last year it was a cool spring so I'm waiting for April.

We have more rain coming at the end of the week, and I want to till again to finish killing the rye grass. Hopefully Onions in the ground by this weekend.

48.jpg

Ground up 3 yds of leaves this weekend, and that's by the bucket load. Using the tractor versus a pitch fork cuts the work down a bunch, I just pull the leaves towards the hopper, gotta work smarter, not harder ;) . I learned to fold that shield down today. It was warm, in the 70's and I was in a tee shirt. The leaves have a few small stones in there; and they were leaving nice welts on my arm as the unit spit them back at me. I wish I had done that this weekend, as a few hit my nose...ouch! Live and learn, a new piece of equipment :rolleyes:

All these leaves and the RCW I will get later on will be used as mulch and then tilled in at the end of the season. Sunday I tilled the bottom; it's still quite sandy as I haven't added any heavy soil, but the color is like chocolate pudding. I good sign!

That's the ticket! Years ago I bought a chipper/shredder, but mine's really just too small to get anything done. One day I may upgrade.

Yeah Buddy! That's the way to jam. Making life easier is always good! It's been in the 60's here and I have been debating on getting the outside garden going. Just really warm weather for this time of year. A lot of my plants outside are beginning to bloom. That usually happens around the beginning of April. Is that going to be your compost for next year or are you using that as mulch. Looking awesome pal.

Jeff H said:

Now if there was only a Gin tree too.........

vodka + juniper berries = gin

... or you could just substitute cleaning products... ;)

All looking fantastic Scott! The flu didn't seem to slow you down much, eh? Glad to see the BOC and King Naga are up for you and you're getting smarter in how you prep the soil for this year's growing effort. Keep up the good work!

Damn Scott,  I swear if a guy doesn't check in everyday on your Glogs,  he gets set back pages!!!  Progress is amazing,  and it's def earned from all the work and love you put into your garden.  I would be lying to you if I said I wasn't a bit jealous of all your equipment and machines!  Def a back saver.  Keep it up man!

Back