• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Looks awesome. I just got caught up on your glog. Take care. I can't wait to see how everything progresses. I know it's been awhile, but what cover crops do you use? I Think I'm gonna do that when the season is over.
I'm definitely gonna have to get a chipper too. I have soooo many leaves in the fall and right now I blow them into piles and run them over with the mower. I'd have leaf mold coming out my ears if I get a chipper and do it right.

PaulG said:
The garden looks great, Scott.  Nice photos and
kudos to LB for keeping a tight ship!

Kick that bug,my friend - you have a lot of garden
years ahead of you!  The weeds might wait another
day or two for ya to get all full of p and v   ;)

Good thoughts coming your way.

jcw10tc said:
Looks great. I hope you are feeling better. You have the backyard I want to have in my next house. Keep up the good work.

Jeff H said:
Garden looks great. LB did a great job while you were down.

Sawyer said:
Glad to hear you're on the mend, Scott.  The garden looks great.  The comfrey is really kicking it.  Mine has come up, but the rabbits have discovered it already.  Time break out the hot pepper spray.  What's the plant in the right foreground in the second picture up above?  It looks like a cross between a dandelion and a thistle.

I don't know, Scott - I'm seeing a pattern here!  All this in response to LB caring for the garden in you absence.

I'm not one the kick a man when he's down but maybe it's time for:

LB's 2015 - Here we go again! Soil Prep..

Nice to have that kind of spacing between plants.  With the prep system you have down, I guess it wouldn't be feasible to throw down mulch between rows to keep weeds away, would it? 

PaulG said:
The garden looks great, Scott.  Nice photos and
kudos to LB for keeping a tight ship!

Kick that bug,my friend - you have a lot of garden
years ahead of you!  The weeds might wait another
day or two for ya to get all full of p and v   ;)

Good thoughts coming your way.

Thanks Paul!

The nurse just left (free follow ups on Pneumonia). I'm on track!

Yeah LB is great!

jcw10tc said:
Looks great. I hope you are feeling better. You have the backyard I want to have in my next house. Keep up the good work.

Thank JCW!

Jeff H said:
Garden looks great. LB did a great job while you were down.

Thanks Jeff!

She did a ton of work in the garden, while I was huffing and puffing (ignoring symptoms), she made most of the rows.

Sawyer said:
Glad to hear you're on the mend, Scott.  The garden looks great.  The comfrey is really kicking it.  Mine has come up, but the rabbits have discovered it already.  Time break out the hot pepper spray.  What's the plant in the right foreground in the second picture up above?  It looks like a cross between a dandelion and a thistle.

Thanks John!

First day where I'm not wanting to take naps...but they tell me 30 days before going full bore again. I'm OKed for 2 45

beerbreath81 said:
Dang Scott, you show me how much I 've been slacking. Had to go back to page 12..haha. Sorry for my absence and also sorry to hear bout the hospital bout, sounds like you are back on your feet again, I'm so glad to hear. I'm kinda the same way when it comes to doctors, minor health problems and wife always nagging at me to make an appointment, make an appointment!! Low and behold I ended up in hospital few months back when my joints locked up on me all better now but hindsight shoulda listen to the voice of reason.

Anyways, I always enjoy running through your glog to watch the magic you got going on over there. Got some perfect looking peppers and the tomatoes really seemed to have taken off. I can already picture the jungle starting to emerge.

Take care bud

Thanks Anthony!,

I guess holding off on the visits is a guy thang ;)
minute light duty work sessions if the first doesn't knock me down.
Ozzy2001 said:
Looks awesome. I just got caught up on your glog. Take care. I can't wait to see how everything progresses. I know it's been awhile, but what cover crops do you use? I Think I'm gonna do that when the season is over.
I'm definitely gonna have to get a chipper too. I have soooo many leaves in the fall and right now I blow them into piles and run them over with the mower. I'd have leaf mold coming out my ears if I get a chipper and do it right.

Thanks Ozzy!

I first tilled in last years shredded leaves and mulch I got form the county. The planted Crimson Clover and later seeded in Rye. When that got 9 or 10"s tall I tilled and replanted the Rye. Finally tilling it under 5 or 6 weeks prior to March 1st.

A chipper shredder is the way to go if you have a lot of materials. I went through 24 yds of mulch last year, only shredded the last 5 or 6. And 10 yds of leaves.

cone9 said:

I don't know, Scott - I'm seeing a pattern here!  All this in response to LB caring for the garden in you absence.

I'm not one the kick a man when he's down but maybe it's time for:

LB's 2015 - Here we go again! Soil Prep..

Dave I love it!

Not only did she care for it, she was instrumental in getting thing in the dirt.

And thanks for those seeds dude!

Roguejim said:
Nice to have that kind of spacing between plants.  With the prep system you have down, I guess it wouldn't be feasible to throw down mulch between rows to keep weeds away, would it? 

Thanks Jim,

That's the plan, but I'm behind schedule. They said no hard work for 30 days :mope:

windchicken said:
I love the way you do things, Scott! Your plants look great, as usual!

Thanks Gary!

There's close to 30 yds of RCW that's been tilled in. Soon as I'm back to full strength I want to get more and grind it. ;)

Dang it Scott. I was just playing catchup. Seen you were ill last month and was relieved when you got better now this. Take care of your health bud think about them grand babies. I wish you a swift recovery. I also wish I was a little closer so I could help a friend in need.
No need to respond buddy. Save your strength. I'll comment on the plants at another time.

Chuck

randyp said:
  Glad your getting yourself back up to par.With the main heat in your area still to come you need your strength built up.Don't over do it buddy. ;)

Thanks Randy,

Been really pacing myself, which is hard to do!

Plantguy76 said:
Scott been thinking of you so dropped by your glog your garden is looking good listen to LB you don't want to relapse now that your on the mend she keeping things in good order.
Anyway take care scott

Thanks!

One relapse is enough for me! I just "piddle" for now....

maximumcapsicum said:
hrtafMp.jpg

Get well soon Scott!!!

Thanks Adam!

thirdcoasttx said:
Hey Scott looking good my friend, props to Lb for keeping things in order, take care of yourself and get well soon buddy.

Thanks Daniel!

The wife is fantastic! Without her help I would have a lot smaller garden. ;)

OCD Chilehead said:
Dang it Scott. I was just playing catchup. Seen you were ill last month and was relieved when you got better now this. Take care of your health bud think about them grand babies. I wish you a swift recovery. I also wish I was a little closer so I could help a friend in need.
No need to respond buddy. Save your strength. I'll comment on the plants at another time.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!

A bit of a misdiagnosis the first round, I was getting better, or so I thought and WHAM!

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Get well soon buddy, the plants look super and growing fine.  Just want to say I am praying for you to get well so you can update your GLOG everyday again.  Be well Scott!

Thanks Cappy!

Feeling better everyday!

Just got caught back up. Sorry to hear hear you've been under the weather. Glad you're on the mend and hope you make a full recovery soon. Your plants and garden layout looks awesome. I'm going to try to increase the spacing on mine this year too, as much as I can anyway.

Peter S said:
Just got caught back up. Sorry to hear hear you've been under the weather. Glad you're on the mend and hope you make a full recovery soon. Your plants and garden layout looks awesome. I'm going to try to increase the spacing on mine this year too, as much as I can anyway.

Thanks Peter!

Starting to get my strength back and get some non-strenuous stuff done here. Raised the activity to 1 hour, rest 1 hour, back out 1 hour. Really doing light tasks. But it feels good to be up and around!

MeatHead1313 said:
Damn I've been slacking bad on glogs this year. Need to do a full catch up in here, but just wanted to say sorry to hear about the hospital trip. Glad to see you're starting to feel better!

Thanks Chris!

I'm in the same boat regarding the glogs, life takes over and there's stuff to do ;)

Trident chilli said:
Great grow log ... hope your on the mend ... Looking forward to your SB x Indian Red

Thanks John!

I'm still waiting for the plants to kick in. Why is it one can dump tomatoes in the ground, and once planted the peppers just hang for a few weeks?

PaulS said:
Feel better soon dude.
Your garden will still look better than most even with no attention while you recover :)

Thanks Paul!

Got some garden piddling time in, LB worked the weeds some too.

Not much going on with the peppers, now the rest is kicking in nicely. Perhaps the peepers will this week. I've been jump starting them a little bit with a mix of Fish Emulsion, Hasta Gro, Epsom Salt, Calmag, and Seaweed Extract applied in a foliar application.

A few overall shots.

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

The Comfrey is going nuts! Glad it's taking on an upright posture.

113.jpg

Peppers are just starting to kick in...

114.jpg

Another pepper shot, showing the irrigation...Bubblers flood the ditches. The solo cups help direct the water flow.

115.jpg

My lone Tomatillo looks pleased...

116.jpg

117.jpg

Last years Manzano survivor, I just left it out all winter. It's doing well with about 20-30 buds popping.

118.jpg

Tepin X Lemmon Drop is working it!

119.jpg

OW White Bhut, I sure did neglect the heck out of this plant all winter. Gonna clean it up this week.

Thanks for stopping by and the good vibes.

Plantguy76 said:
Glad your doing better Scott your garden looks just fine really shows the work LB has put into it while you been on the mend

Thanks Jason!

She's the best ;)

Speaking of LB, after 2 years she has two fruits.

120.jpg

124.jpg

It's really cool to watch the Pineapple progress. This isn't Hawaii, and they get the heat, dry and cold. So the plants usually look a bit rough...

121.jpg

John (Sawyer) sent me some Walking Onions. I read up and they're very interesting. As shown in the foreground. He also sent me some Bamboo, as soon as a few sprout I'll get them up here...

122.jpg

Garlic, Carrots, Cabbage and a few other in the raised beds..

123.jpg

A bit of a rig, but it keeps the Asparagus from choking the Strawberries light. The grates are to keep the Squirrels out.

125.jpg

My daughter got me a Fender Acoustic for Christmas, and I'm just learning to play. LB bought me this American Standard Strat during spring break. Now I have 2 guitars to learn how to play.

So that's what I've been doing since I got out last Thursday. I bet I put in 60 hours.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope the peppers get out of teenager mode soon!

Back