• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Do your cattle dogs get along with the Blue Lacys?  I'll bet the cattle dogs don't take any crap from the pups, right?  How many dogs do you have?

Roguejim said:
Do your cattle dogs get along with the Blue Lacys?  I'll bet the cattle dogs don't take any crap from the pups, right?  How many dogs do you have?
 Right now it's just the 5 year old Rat Terrier, AKA "queen bee", and the pups. They will be 11 months in a week. We lost a Rat Terrier last year, and Otis, the Pit bull-Bull Mastiff cross, he got out and never came back. He always listened and always came back if he got out of the yard. This last time he just walked down the drive way ignoring me and never to be seen again. We're hoping someone picked him up and he's happy somewhere.

Thanks for stopping by Jim!

Devv said:
(didn't even get hollered at for using the foil)

I started on page one, after checking in from time to time.  This quote made me laugh most of all!   :D

Beautiful Scat Pack!  I had a weekend with a pre-production 6.1 back in .... 2008?.. such a lovely growl.     

I'm most jealous of the garden.  You have a very lovely setup which is only supported my my wife interjecting "don't get any ideas" on multiple occasions.   ;)  

All the best this season!  ~Nick

The garden looking great Scott.
Congratulations on the new edition to your family.
I am glad the trip went well dogs are looking spoiled lol
I am having a slow start this year after hitting turbulence earlier in the year but it's all good looking forward to your grow .

Congrats Scott on another Grand baby.  One would think that they would all eventually slow you down, but your grow never shows that.  Hope your health cooperates!

It's never been hard to find something to be jealous about here!

Chill with a cold one, often!

Mike

NeedsWork said:

I started on page one, after checking in from time to time.  This quote made me laugh most of all!   :D

Beautiful Scat Pack!  I had a weekend with a pre-production 6.1 back in .... 2008?.. such a lovely growl.     

I'm most jealous of the garden.  You have a very lovely setup which is only supported my my wife interjecting "don't get any ideas" on multiple occasions.   ;)  

All the best this season!  ~Nick

Thanks Nick!

LB is really cool when it comes to all my endeavors, as she has her own ;) I help her and she helps me. We bought this place when land was really, really cheap, close to 30 years ago, so the garden space is an easy thing. If we were just starting we could never afford it, even with the salaries we have now.

The car is my first since forever! I've been in trucks since the early '80's, it's a 3rd ride, garaged and only comes out when it's dry. And it's a total beast, now pushing 500+hp, with some suspension tweaks like shock tower braces front and rear and subframe connectors. As I mentioned about my wife's (LB) endeavors...the very next day we just had to get her a loaded Hemi Charger...LOL

Plantguy76 said:
The garden looking great Scott.
Congratulations on the new edition to your family.
I am glad the trip went well dogs are looking spoiled lol
I am having a slow start this year after hitting turbulence earlier in the year but it's all good looking forward to your grow .

Hi Jason!

I looked at your profile, you were born the year I graduated high school, now I really feel old!

Thanks for the congrats! #5 is a real blessing, my daughters first, and she's an easy baby. I wouldn't wish her herself when she was that age through 29...LOL Glad she's on track nowadays ;)

Yeah, my pepper start was real slow this year. I'm hoping they produce before the heat shuts them down. If not they'll hang until the fall as my stock is low after last seasons dismal performance (due to me).
Gotta love those crazy dogs, they never stop entertaining us. They're great country watch dogs too!

stc3248 said:
Lookin good Scott! That free composted mulch gets me jealous every year!

Thanks Shane!

Can't beat free! Their pile is getting low (guess why :shh: ), so I may go get some more before it's all gone!

capsidadburn said:
Congrats Scott on another Grand baby.  One would think that they would all eventually slow you down, but your grow never shows that.  Hope your health cooperates!

It's never been hard to find something to be jealous about here!

Chill with a cold one, often!

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Love having all the G-kids come over. My 3 year old Grandson, the only boy, is all boy. He comes over and says "I want to see cars", meaning youtube drag racing videos. Then he says "motorcycles" so I play them too.

Health is good!

Thanks for stopping by Mike!

Jeff H said:

Oh heck Scott, I didn't realize I had missed a page until I saw this post. Congratz on the little one and best of luck on the garden this year.

Hi Jeff!

Thanks! And glad to see you have a glog this year. It;s OK for us to slow down some....we've earned it!

How's that guitar playing going? I'm still a "way beginner" but working hard on the intro to Thunder Struck and Cemetery Gates. Along with the chords routine.

Devv said:

Hi Jeff!

Thanks! And glad to see you have a glog this year. It;s OK for us to slow down some....we've earned it!

How's that guitar playing going? I'm still a "way beginner" but working hard on the intro to Thunder Struck and Cemetery Gates. Along with the chords routine.

AC/DC I could have guessed, but I wouldn't have never guessed Pantera.

Nice. :onfire:

I do have a new to me guitar this year. I'll post it in my glog sometime soon. :party:

Can't wait to see it Jeff! I'm still working it 1 to 2 hours a day, not progressing as fast as I would like to. But making progress.

Had a 3 day weekend and got a bit of work done. Not much in the way of peppers, but I did get some planted today :party:

22.jpg

That's a 50-50 mix of ground cow turds and mulch from the pile. Close to a yard.

20.jpg

Existing 2-3 yard pile of mulch-manure mix already in the garden.

29.jpg

Before: Onions and garlic are doing quite well!

After: two pics

26.jpg

Dropped 2 yards of mulch over the fence and added the newly shredded mix to the existing pile. All of this will be turned under after this season ends. Note the color of the onions and garlic. No ferts added. The program is working!

27.jpg

Added some finely ground mulch to the RCW beds. Will add a tad of the manure-mulch mix and place a few babies in there to see how they do. I'm thinking it may need a year to marinate..

21.jpg

Candidates!

23.jpg

Got 16 in the dirt, the rest need to grow up ;)  These are the smallest plants I've ever put in, and it's getting late. But such is life...

24.jpg

25.jpg

LB is thrilled, 2 Pineapples coming on this year. I planted them in the garden and we'll have to figure out how to keep them alive if we have a cold winter. This year they never had to be brought in; but last year? That's why I buried them in dirt. Gets old, and gets heavy!

Almost forgot:

28.jpg

This is the Peach tree nearest to the RCW beds, simply loaded! I dropped about 25 to the dirt, and will probably drop a few more. No sense over-weighting the branches, and besides too many this year, none next year...

That's it!

Hoping the weather is good for growing and things set before the heat. :shh:

Man, your season is so much further along than up here.  We had (light) frost this morning and I won't really feel comfortable setting plants out for another 4 weeks.  You remind me, though, I do need to feed and mulch the garlic.  Are any of those onions of the walking variety?

Hi John,

I have the walking variety in a raised bed, they're doing really well. Thanks again for them!

I've never mulched the garlic or onions before. They are planted in an area that I used for the first time last year with potatoes. I've been tilling in goodies of and on for a while there, and last year during the winter I skimmed an inch of the heavy top soil from the upper parts and tilled that in along with shredded leaves and shredded mulch. Also the are is down hill, so the run off it receives is loaded with goodies from the higher ground. The 3 fruit trees in that area are doing the best out of 20 or so I have.

Devv said:

Thanks Nick!

LB is really cool when it comes to all my endeavors, as she has her own ;) I help her and she helps me. We bought this place when land was really, really cheap, close to 30 years ago, so the garden space is an easy thing. If we were just starting we could never afford it, even with the salaries we have now.

The car is my first since forever! I've been in trucks since the early '80's, it's a 3rd ride, garaged and only comes out when it's dry. And it's a total beast, now pushing 500+hp, with some suspension tweaks like shock tower braces front and rear and subframe connectors. As I mentioned about my wife's (LB) endeavors...the very next day we just had to get her a loaded Hemi Charger...LOL

Hi Jason!

I looked at your profile, you were born the year I graduated high school, now I really feel old!

Thanks for the congrats! #5 is a real blessing, my daughters first, and she's an easy baby. I wouldn't wish her herself when she was that age through 29...LOL Glad she's on track nowadays ;)

Yeah, my pepper start was real slow this year. I'm hoping they produce before the heat shuts them down. If not they'll hang until the fall as my stock is low after last seasons dismal performance (due to me).
Gotta love those crazy dogs, they never stop entertaining us. They're great country watch dogs too!

Thanks Shane!

Can't beat free! Their pile is getting low (guess why :shh: ), so I may go get some more before it's all gone!

Thanks Mike!

Love having all the G-kids come over. My 3 year old Grandson, the only boy, is all boy. He comes over and says "I want to see cars", meaning youtube drag racing videos. Then he says "motorcycles" so I play them too.

Health is good!

Thanks for stopping by Mike!

Hi Jeff!

Hi Scott great progress your making in the garden!
As for you being old your doing pretty good everything considered.
I will be the big 40 this Saturday ugh not digging that lol
Sowed the flower beds & behind on sowing tomato flats .
I am waiting on my totally tomatoes order.

Plantguy76 said:
Hi Scott great progress your making in the garden!
As for you being old your doing pretty good everything considered.
I will be the big 40 this Saturday ugh not digging that lol
Sowed the flower beds & behind on sowing tomato flats .
I am waiting on my totally tomatoes order.
 Hi Nick!

Happy Birthday!

40 is not old, just wait until 60 is around the corner :rolleyes:  As Tom Petty sung "you never slow down you never grow old" I live by that. I strive to kick ass and take names later...lol

So I'll be up at 4AM on my day off, sigh, a frost is gonna happen! Dew point is at 49° and morning temps are projected at 43°. I'll be turning on the wobblers and going back to bed...LOL

Same crap on Sunday. This is the latest ever, yes ever for here where I've lived the last 27 years. At least the 25mph winds will be gone come manana, unlike like last year where they hit just every weekend all winter and spring.

I spent some time browsing through my 2041 grow (last year doesn't count), and it seems I'm off to a really slow start. :violin: :censored: :banghead:

"Old" is always 20 years older than however old I am at the time.  When I was 20, 40 sounded pretty old.  Heck, when I'm 80, I'll figure 100 will be getting on up there.

I've still got pepper seeds germinating and haven't even started a lot of things.  "Late" seems to be a theme for some of us this year.

Sawyer said:
"Old" is always 20 years older than however old I am at the time.  When I was 20, 40 sounded pretty old.  Heck, when I'm 80, I'll figure 100 will be getting on up there.

I've still got pepper seeds germinating and haven't even started a lot of things.  "Late" seems to be a theme for some of us this year.
 I heard that ;) my parents are in their 80's, now that's old...LOL. LB's Dad will be 86 in a few days....and he's still full of it :shh:

Have you noticed how the "time curve" has gotten crazy as you get older? Days and years  go faster and faster, not like when we were kids, they seemed to drag on forever.

Tomorrow is another colder than average morning, after that we should be finished. I'll be planting a few more of the larger peppers. I just hope I get pods set before the heat comes.

So when I have extra peppers I share them with the blue collar workers at the district. All the goodies always go to the admin offices and the maintenance, transportation, and custodial people get nothing, so I keep them in produce when I have extra. One of the custodians, Wendy, has been with us for many years and is a very nice lady. She brought me some Red Manzano seeds from Mexico; I was touched, and of course I planted them.

So far 2 have come up. Here's a shot of one of the babies:

30.jpg

Sorry for a weak effort this season, my timing was way off....

Back