• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Looking good Scott. I enjoy your Fall gardening. I have a ton flowers. I hope to extend my season with plastic. I know it's not Texas, but I can try. Plants are looking good. What kind of garlic did you plant? I have a bag of New York Whites. I think that's what the farmer told me. I don't know my garlic. I'm going to prep the ground for them soon.

love seeing your garden come to life Scott! Every time I see pods in your glog it gets me all excited and prepared for pods in mine. Both my Aji's haven't stopped all year, they love the weather no matter what. Everything else seems to be coming out of the summer stall finally. MoA and Jay's PGS are the first to set pods, with the MoA way out front in numbers. Had to cull the chocolate Bhut and chocolate fatalii, I think you were right about heat stressing them to death, they pulled right up without a fight. But between us two we should have enough pod pics in the coming months to keep everyone up north motivated for next spring. Might even have to send some presents your way for all your advice the past couple years.

I'd love to know what vegetable varieties you use/prefer, I'm planning a basic veggie garden for the spring and am trying to find South Texas friendly types.

Keep it up buddy, and prep the hands for a good harvest

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good Scott. I enjoy your Fall gardening. I have a ton flowers. I hope to extend my season with plastic. I know it's not Texas, but I can try. Plants are looking good. What kind of garlic did you plant? I have a bag of New York Whites. I think that's what the farmer told me. I don't know my garlic. I'm going to prep the ground for them soon.
 Thanks Chuck!

You can definitely extend the season, Rick has that one down for sure. Watch the temps in the hoops they get really hot in a hurry.
Garlic goes in Saturday. I'm going to use the 4th generation of the store bought I've been growing, and some of the Hungarian and Georgian that survived. Seed stock from my brother in Ohio. I really wanted to share some this season, he sent it 3 weeks late and I had to pull it early, because it was trying to rot with all the rain. Most of it did rot, but I'm hoping I have some viable cloves that will grow. I only need a few to take to get some seed stock. The bed is "pre-prepped" as of last weekend ;)

tsurrie said:
Pods are getting bigger, no doubt they will ripe too. No worries mate.
 Thanks!,

I know what has already set will do OK, hoping for more ;)  We had a bit of warm weather 95° this week, then a cooling trend, which should really help! This endeavor could last until December :shh:

twilliams386 said:
love seeing your garden come to life Scott! Every time I see pods in your glog it gets me all excited and prepared for pods in mine. Both my Aji's haven't stopped all year, they love the weather no matter what. Everything else seems to be coming out of the summer stall finally. MoA and Jay's PGS are the first to set pods, with the MoA way out front in numbers. Had to cull the chocolate Bhut and chocolate fatalii, I think you were right about heat stressing them to death, they pulled right up without a fight. But between us two we should have enough pod pics in the coming months to keep everyone up north motivated for next spring. Might even have to send some presents your way for all your advice the past couple years.

I'd love to know what vegetable varieties you use/prefer, I'm planning a basic veggie garden for the spring and am trying to find South Texas friendly types.

Keep it up buddy, and prep the hands for a good harvest

Thanks TW!

This time of year may just be better than spring!

This weekend I'll directly sow Romaine and Bibb Lettuce every three weeks, Nance Carrots, Radishes every three weeks, Broccoli every three weeks, for continued harvest. Garlic, Onions from seed in a 8x20" box times 2 for a dirt day of Jan 15th. Tomatoes that do best here for me are Early Girl. They do it right and fast every year. We processed 100 quarts this spring. Sweet 100 will do well if you like to pick a ton of cherry maters. I use 2x a week treatments of Calmag (1 oz per gallon of water) in a sprinkler can, drenching the plant when the sun is low in the sky until fruits are close to full size for BER protection. Strawberries, if I can find plants, now is the time to plant them for a really nice spring crop. They didn't have any last weekend in San Antonio, we'll check again Friday. If my Onion seeds don't do well I'll buy the bunches, if I can find them around the first weekend of January. The sets (small bulbs) are a waste of $$$ (for me) they never produce here. If you want to grow potatoes, the reds do well for us, Feb 15th is dirt day. I just buy them at Lowes.

Holler if you have any questions.

randyp said:
   Scott your garden is looking good.May you be blessed with great fall weather buddy.

Thanks Randy!

Fall into winter actually comes on rather slow as opposed to spring into summer. Most years mid to late December-January and early February are the coldest months.

With all of thise waves of planting you will be real busy this fall. Excuse my newbie question, but it pertains to the garlic. What do you mean by seed? If you let the scape grow out it will provide seeds? I just assumed you plant the cloves from the prior year.

tctenten said:
With all of thise waves of planting you will be real busy this fall. Excuse my newbie question, but it pertains to the garlic. What do you mean by seed? If you let the scape grow out it will provide seeds? I just assumed you plant the cloves from the prior year.
 Yes! I plant the cloves, sharp side up. Meaning the bottom of the bulb when separated into cloves is the bottom of the seeds, or cloves. I plant them to where the top is 1/2" below the soil, and keep them rather wet, but not soaked until I see some growth. September 15th is my dirt day. I'm thinking you have 2-4 weeks longer to wait. My brother in Ohio covers his with a mulch once he has a hard freeze (actually just before) and they do fine. So give them a whirl!

Got some more pepper love today!

From Annie:

246.jpg

247.jpg

Just lovely peppers waiting to be tasted ;)

Gonna share some in the morning, I have some buddies that need some pain :onfire:

Thanks again!

I m

Trident chilli said:
I am sure Scott your fall crop will produce lots of coloured pods .. fingers crossed for you ... with box's of fresh chilli food parcels arriving from friends life in Devine looks good

Thanks!

One can't beat the pepper love here ;)

Now I'm happy:

248.jpg

15 years ago we put in a pool and I built a huge deck, the pool is shot and has been drained. I started taking the deck apart. Much harder than building it..LOL
But I found the pack rat nest. It's still active, or was until today. It was in the one spot the dogs couldn't reach. You can see it was still putting green cuttings in there. I had to chuckle when I saw the lite beer can. I quit drinking that stuff 15 years ago, there's even an old arrow drug in there!
Along with stuff stolen from the porch.

The used wood? I'll use it as a fence, and wind break. I spent around 4K back in 2001, so I will have plenty of material to do this.

Devv said:
I gave my daughter my 13 year old Cannon D60 and bought a Nikon D3300, just 20% of the cost of the Cannon, with many improvements (hopefully) ;)

Today I finished another hugel type bed, dug 8-10"s down, 20"s wide and filled level with shredded mulch. Dang it's been humid this late summer with all the rain. Yesterday the sunshades were taken off.

As you can see it's rather bright out there.

243.jpg

A few pics from the fall grow:

231.jpg

Padron's

232.jpg

A few small pods.

233.jpg

234.jpg

BT powder on the leaves. Since the 10" rain we're seeing thousands, maybe millions of moths or butterflies, all heading Northeast. Added more BT late today, as they're mas hungry :confused:

235.jpg

236.jpg

237.jpg

238.jpg

239.jpg

240.jpg

I know that for most these would be spring time pics, I was robbed of spring peppers. So fall is what I have ;)

They will get color, just how many?

Great to see the Poddage starting , my friend !  gonna be a colorful fall for you .     

moruga welder said:

Great to see the Poddage starting , my friend !  gonna be a colorful fall for you .     
 Thanks Frank!

They're hanging in there and the weather is getting better. High's of 90's is a lot better than 100's.

Pulled a few today from the spring planting. Not many of those made it through the summer heat, with all the rain. Got a lot of root rot. 6"s of rain and then 100's, several times this summer.

250.jpg

Some jals, Jimmy Nardello's and what I think is a tepin-lemon drop x bishops crown cross. The seeds were from tepin-lemon drop pods, but they most definitely have some BC shape and the distinctive BC coloring and sheen.

251.jpg

Made some wings this evening, used Rick's MoA puree with honey and our fav BBQ sauce from a local market. Nice and hot with a great flavor. Plate shot? They went to fast.. ;)

Devv said:
 Thanks Frank!

They're hanging in there and the weather is getting better. High's of 90's is a lot better than 100's.

Pulled a few today from the spring planting. Not many of those made it through the summer heat, with all the rain. Got a lot of root rot. 6"s of rain and then 100's, several times this summer.

250.jpg

Some jals, Jimmy Nardello's and what I think is a tepin-lemon drop x bishops crown cross. The seeds were from tepin-lemon drop pods, but they most definitely have some BC shape and the distinctive BC coloring and sheen.

251.jpg

Made some wings this evening, used Rick's MoA puree with honey and our fav BBQ sauce from a local market. Nice and hot with a great flavor. Plate shot? They went to fast.. ;)

i feel your pain , my friend , this year has been the rainiest , with humidity that we have had in a few years . fined 2 1/2 inches friday night .

Devv said:
 Thanks Frank!

250.jpg

251.jpg

Nice to see some color coming out of your garden Scott... lots 'O pods in the pipeline for later, and those glazed wings look devine. :drooling:

moruga welder said:

i feel your pain , my friend , this year has been the rainiest , with humidity that we have had in a few years . fined 2 1/2 inches friday night .
 This late summer has been like Houston! I just suck it up and drink tons of water and keep a dish towel handy...LOL
Thankfully the temps are 5-8° lower, better for the plants, but still too warm for my linking. We should be seeing some 80's for highs very soon. I'm so ready!

stickman said:

Nice to see some color coming out of your garden Scott... lots 'O pods in the pipeline for later, and those glazed wings look devine. :drooling:
 Thanks Rick! The new plants are in a holding pattern after 10"s of rain and then yet more heat, plus me taking the sunshade off :rolleyes: But it's time for them to fly and do their thing. Currently working on getting the nutes back into them, I guess we had a lot of leaching with all the rain..

More good news at the post office today!

252.jpg

Dale sent me these seeds, I'm amazed at how well he's done with all the different Pubescens' this season. Thanks so much! The pubes hit soil this weekend, if not earlier ;)

253.jpg

254.jpg

These came via Terry. Super nice looking pods! Bringing some to work tomorrow :party:  The rest go into an amazing hot sauce I came up with. This started last year when Terry sent me pods. I take sweets and hots and make a puree that's pure pepper and is not so hot that most of the whole family can use it. Peppers, salt, vinegar, and Agave Nectar.

Thanks again Terry!

stickman said:
Way to go Dale and Terry... Good on ya both! The temps are falling slowly here, so hopefully the raw edge of summer is off your pepper plot. Cheers!
 We were "supposed" to have cooler temps the last 5-7 days, but 95-96 is hot for September this time of year even here. Friday on is "supposed" to get cooler, 90's and down to mid 80's. I'm so ready, everyone around here is ready...LOL.

I haven't shown any pics, because they're about the same. But I see flowers in the making. I've been treating them to a nice shower from the wobblers all week, kind of a cool down, just as the temps start to fall. That and adding nutes, a little at a time as the heavy rains leached them down low. I hope they go nuts and I get the pods I'm hoping for. Kind of worried as an El Nino summer is usually followed by a cold winter. You never know what's going to happen around here. I saw it snow once here in 1990, on October 31st. Just flurries. My fingers are crossed!

randyp said:
You found the rats home, Scott.Good job..One less problem for you. :onfire:
 Yeah!

Found 2 nests, the property is on a slope, they were in the low to the ground part of the deck (high side), where the dogs couldn't get to them. Smart critters! They have an escape route built, with all the (pack rat) trash around the nest so they can hear an intruder and leave out the back door. I have one more spot to work on when it's cooler, as I saw them there last fall. They love Pear Cactus as not much will follow them in there. THAT, will be gone very soon. Have tractor will destroy ;) Kinda pissed I ripped down my shooting bench looking for them. I'll build a new one that has no place for them to hide ;)

Sounds like things are coming along, Scott. Can't wait to see them plants in a month. Those pack rats build a weird nest. They're like a rodent version of a crow. Hope you two are enjoying your rides.

OCD Chilehead said:
Sounds like things are coming along, Scott. Can't wait to see them plants in a month. Those pack rats build a weird nest. They're like a rodent version of a crow. Hope you two are enjoying your rides.
Hi there Chuck!

Things are coming along, but a bit slower than I would like ;)

Out first real cool front just blew in, we're getting some rain and the temp is 70°!

I actually have a few pics:

255.jpg

When we get a Northern front the wind is crazy here, we're on a ridge, so the wind gets a nice running start. A few blew over, I'll wait until the wind dies and clean things up.

256.jpg

A few Jimmy Nardellos.

257.jpg

Serrano's loading up.

258.jpg

A few Padron's.

259.jpg

Tepin/Lemmon Drop.

260.jpg

Jelly Bean White Habs.

261.jpg

Large Orange Thai, simply loaded down. I love this pepper, great for cooking with, and making powder. I feel it's right next to Rick's Gochu.

262.jpg

Stefan's Scotch/Indian Red

263.jpg

Nagabrain, just a few pods for now.

264.jpg

Group shot of the container plants I hope to OW.

That's my pic limit!

Back