• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

tctenten said:
It is nice to see this as I begin to wind it down.  Looking good!  That Large Orange Thai is just loaded with pods.
 Thanks, It's been a rough season so far! Thanks again for the SFRB, you and others who sent the SFRB's saved me from being pepperless!

265.jpg

Young MoA's just trying to be true.

266.jpg

267.jpg

LB wanted fall mater's ;)

268.jpg

Pulled a few too!

The plants are flowering up nicely, and cooler weather means they will set. Looking forward to that. :dance:

Nice pod's. The plants are looking good. I'm debating, OW my Chinese. Or at least see if I can get some fruit. I have 3 pod's total, out of 11 plants. They are starting to flower like crazy. Good luck with your plants. Hope the weather stays warm for you to get some ripe ones.

stickman said:
I'm glad you're finally getting to pick some of your own pods Scott... Woot! :woohoo:  Hope you get a bushel-full. :P
 Thanks Rick!

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice pod's. The plants are looking good. I'm debating, OW my Chinese. Or at least see if I can get some fruit. I have 3 pod's total, out of 11 plants. They are starting to flower like crazy. Good luck with your plants. Hope the weather stays warm for you to get some ripe ones.

Thanks Chuck!

When I OW plants it's more for the (hopefully) early jump the following season. I've never really tried to grow them in the off season, just keep them alive. I wish you luck!
Not much going on here, still waiting for some more pods to set. I did pick a few:

270.jpg

One of the MoA plants put out red pods, I guess it's one of the "features" of OP seed collecting. They seem to be a JA Hab cross, showing characteristics of both. I'm waiting to see how the second round of pods look.

Movin right along Scott! Lovin these slightly cooler temps. Were supposed to warm back up with gulf air this week, then drop back to 80s by the weekend. Can't wait for consistent fall temps. Hey, with my yellow brain that's putting out super pale new growth, do you think calcium is the issue or could it be viral? Going to pick up cal mag after work today to see if I can rule that out, but wondering if I should use gypsum, lime or bone meal instead or even simultaneously. Get ready bud, the peppers are coming!

Devv said:
 Thanks Rick!

Thanks Chuck!

When I OW plants it's more for the (hopefully) early jump the following season. I've never really tried to grow them in the off season, just keep them alive. I wish you luck!
Not much going on here, still waiting for some more pods to set. I did pick a few:

270.jpg

One of the MoA plants put out red pods, I guess it's one of the "features" of OP seed collecting. They seem to be a JA Hab cross, showing characteristics of both. I'm waiting to see how the second round of pods look.

Nice money shot Scott... is that a Kurtovska Kapija I see on the left? MoA-JA Hab cross should be tasty. I'd call that a win. ;)

twilliams386 said:
Movin right along Scott! Lovin these slightly cooler temps. Were supposed to warm back up with gulf air this week, then drop back to 80s by the weekend. Can't wait for consistent fall temps. Hey, with my yellow brain that's putting out super pale new growth, do you think calcium is the issue or could it be viral? Going to pick up cal mag after work today to see if I can rule that out, but wondering if I should use gypsum, lime or bone meal instead or even simultaneously. Get ready bud, the peppers are coming!
 You might try watering a tablespoon of Epsom salts in around the affected plants if the CA treatment doesn't work.

stickman said:
 You might try watering a tablespoon of Epsom salts in around the affected plants if the CA treatment doesn't work.
I did do an Epsom foliar spray, but I'll try around the base on the next watering. Thanks Rick!

randyp said:
Scott are you doing any sauce or dried pods that I can help you with.I'm sending you a medium in the next 2 weeks,
  Hi Randy, I've been saving up the pods and am going to make a sauce. Quite by accident I came up with a puree made with the sweets and hots, that's become a favorite around here. 100% pepper sauce, plenty hot but not so hot it can't be used by everyone. Small amounts for the heat sensitive ones :shh:

twilliams386 said:

I'm thinking it's nitrogen, all the others are happy? I have 2 white Bhuts that crave the nitrogen. All the other plants respond well to the feedings, I just can't get them to darken up at all. The Annuums  are dark as heck! I have some bone meal, blood meal and some other organic goodies I bought super cheap at Wally World close out sales. I've never used them before, but intend to add them to the beds in the spring. I've been a fan of Hasta Gro, a liquid, organic product. I like that it's very predictable. I've yet to burn a plant with it. I just keep adding twice a week in small applications until I see the plants look good. This year we had serious nute leaching with the rains, constantly playing catch-up. Last year I hardy needed it.

stickman said:

Nice money shot Scott... is that a Kurtovska Kapija I see on the left? MoA-JA Hab cross should be tasty. I'd call that a win. ;)

Thanks Rick!

Nice to finally be pulling a few. What a year! That pod is a Padron, I do have a Kurtovska Kapiia out there that survived the hell summer, hoping it makes some pods before it cools down. I also have a few Urfa Beibers out there. such a great pod for making poppers and adding to the sauces. I froze those MoA crosses, as we had a house full this weekend, I have a few more out there ripening. I need to try them to see if they're seed saving material. They should be!

Nice pod's Scott. I really want to OW my Sadabahar. I don't know anyone else growing it. I found only one source for seeds this year. I planted both packs and had 1 germinate. Saving all the seeds this year. I want to keep that one in my grow. It's one of the hottest. annuum I've had. The other candidate is Chi-Chien. Beautiful annuum from China. Nice thin uprite clusters of peppers.

I love organic nutes. Low numbers, hard to burn. I put a cup or so in the hole when I transplant. I usually take all the discount nutes and mix them up. It's all dry and has some of the same ingredients. I add some bone meal and iron-tone to the mix as well. My plants did great this year no deficiencies for the first time. I did add extra molasses to my foilar tea.

Good luck with the Fall harvest. Here's to good frost free weather to ya.

Finally had a chance to look at a few of your pages, Scott,
glad to see things have turned a little for you.  Your new
camera is nice - great pix. I haven't been following the national
weather lately - hope you are getting the desired cooler and
consistent temps you want.

Things here definitely winding down - will be surprised if I get a lot
more ripe pods now.  There must be pounds and pounds of unripe
pods on the plants.  I suppose they will trickle in as they have been
doing for a few more weeks if the weather holds.  Had a 38˚F a couple
of nights ago, but then back up into the low-mid 40's.  With the
cloudy days, sort of puts the kibosh on ripening!  

No problem, though.  I do see that I need to pare down the number of
varieties I grow.  Thirteen this year  is still too many.  I want to get
down to the handful of varieties I really like and maybe grow a plant
or two of something unusual just for fun.  That way I can get enough
of each kind to do something with commercially.  At least that's my
theory   :cool:

Your harvests are looking good - nice quality pods, if not huge numbers.
Here's to a great Fall/Winter harvests for you  :cheers:  Take it easy,
my friend. Sounds like you are back to 100% again.

OCD Chilehead said:
Hey Scott.

I'm getting a hand me down camera. It's a Nikon D5100 I think. DSL. I think I read somewhere that you just got a Nikon. You figure it out yet? It's all new to me.

Hope all is well.

Chuck

Awesome, Chuck!  I inherited a D300.  It can do a lot more than 
my skill level but it's fun to use and the pic quality can't be beat.

Have fun, boys, with your new toys!

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice pod's Scott. I really want to OW my Sadabahar. I don't know anyone else growing it. I found only one source for seeds this year. I planted both packs and had 1 germinate. Saving all the seeds this year. I want to keep that one in my grow. It's one of the hottest. annuum I've had. The other candidate is Chi-Chien. Beautiful annuum from China. Nice thin uprite clusters of peppers.

I love organic nutes. Low numbers, hard to burn. I put a cup or so in the hole when I transplant. I usually take all the discount nutes and mix them up. It's all dry and has some of the same ingredients. I add some bone meal and iron-tone to the mix as well. My plants did great this year no deficiencies for the first time. I did add extra molasses to my foilar tea.

Good luck with the Fall harvest. Here's to good frost free weather to ya.
 Thanks Chuck!

I've been out of town, skipped work and went down to Eagle Pass to misbehave. Actually came home with a few bucks this time ;) Just don't ell my kids...LOL
This is my first experience with dry ferts, and I have a ton of them. The tone products went all the way down to $2.50 per 8lbs. And bone meal for next to nothing too. I think I bought them out! I'll use them like you said you do, when planting.
My favorites for powder this year are the Large Cayenne and the Gochu from Rick. You can use either quite heavily and not scare the rest of the family :P

PaulG said:
Finally had a chance to look at a few of your pages, Scott,
glad to see things have turned a little for you.  Your new
camera is nice - great pix. I haven't been following the national
weather lately - hope you are getting the desired cooler and
consistent temps you want.

Things here definitely winding down - will be surprised if I get a lot
more ripe pods now.  There must be pounds and pounds of unripe
pods on the plants.  I suppose they will trickle in as they have been
doing for a few more weeks if the weather holds.  Had a 38˚F a couple
of nights ago, but then back up into the low-mid 40's.  With the
cloudy days, sort of puts the kibosh on ripening!  

No problem, though.  I do see that I need to pare down the number of
varieties I grow.  Thirteen this year  is still too many.  I want to get
down to the handful of varieties I really like and maybe grow a plant
or two of something unusual just for fun.  That way I can get enough
of each kind to do something with commercially.  At least that's my
theory   :cool:

Your harvests are looking good - nice quality pods, if not huge numbers.
Here's to a great Fall/Winter harvests for you  :cheers:  Take it easy,
my friend. Sounds like you are back to 100% again.
 Thanks Paul!

I'm back to being me again! Finally! Stamina is very close if not there. It wasn't very long ago that I could keep up with most half my age, but I feel those days are gone. I think my brain finally listens to what my body says LOL.

I'm really hoping for a major pod set, it needs to happen pretty quick if it happens at all.

Trident chilli said:
Plus one with PaulG ... some great late pods Chuck
  :party:

OCD Chilehead said:
Hey Scott.

I'm getting a hand me down camera. It's a Nikon D5100 I think. DSL. I think I read somewhere that you just got a Nikon. You figure it out yet? It's all new to me.

Hope all is well.

Chuck

Yes a Nikon, I'm pleased so far, but I'm still learning how to use it. I had the Cannon for so long, 13 years, and this one is a bit different. So far I just use it on the "auto" function. As time goes by, I'll get better with it. Been so busy lately!

PaulG said:

Awesome, Chuck!  I inherited a D300.  It can do a lot more than 
my skill level but it's fun to use and the pic quality can't be beat.

Have fun, boys, with your new toys!
Gotta love new toys! You take just perfect pics with that D300 Paul!

stickman said:
Nice haul today Scott! Those white Jellybean Habs make a solid addition to any powder blend... that's mostly how I used them last year.  Keep that train a-runnin'! :party:
Thanks Rick, slow but sure, I'm getting some stored away ;)

randyp said:
Nice variety Scott.I'm pulling at first light before my football games start.Have a good weekend.
 Thank Randy,

And what a great season you had this year!

A few;

272.jpg

LB went "popper hunting"

273.jpg

Fall leaves are dropping, but we're still hitting 90°. I'm ready for some cooler weather and the supers want to flower.

274.jpg

Large Orange Thai, has a few waiting to be picked.

275.jpg

Prospective OW's

276.jpg

JA Habs

277.jpg

Stefan's Scotch Bonnet/ Indian Red

278.jpg

I wanna be a MoA!

279.jpg

??????

280.jpg

Todays haul, Orange Thai wins! Still waiting on the Chinense to show me the money.

Nice late-season haul Scott! Love them poppers! Looks like you're getting (or will soon get) JA Habs... they're a tasty Chinense variety for sure. We're pullin' for ya to get a big late-season harvest! What are your overnight low temperatures like?

Back