• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

Devv said:
Hi Jericson,

I guess if there are no aphids you're OK, in my garden they were herding aphids.

Just watch and see, you'll know soon enough..
ok, i keep on watching my Hawaiian ghost chile, shes the only one got aphids last time, and the rest is the stupid whiteflies, i dont even know how to get rid of them they just keep on coming back

Pinoy83 said:
ok, i keep on watching my Hawaiian ghost chile, shes the only one got aphids last time, and the rest is the stupid whiteflies, i dont even know how to get rid of them they just keep on coming back
Oh here I go again with mites, watch when the whiteflies are always around, the mites use them to hitch a ride.

I did a quick Google search for organic control:

CONTROL
Catch adults on yellow sticky traps; vacuum adults from leaves; remove infested leaves; indoors, release Encarsia formosa parasitic wasps to control greenhouse whitefly; outdoors, attract native parasitic wasps and predatory beetles; spray with insecticidal soap or garlic oil; as a last resort, spray with pyrethrin.

I'm sure there is more info out there...

Devv said:
Oh here I go again with mites, watch when the whiteflies are always around, the mites use them to hitch a ride.

I did a quick Google search for organic control:

CONTROL
Catch adults on yellow sticky traps; vacuum adults from leaves; remove infested leaves; indoors, release Encarsia formosa parasitic wasps to control greenhouse whitefly; outdoors, attract native parasitic wasps and predatory beetles; spray with insecticidal soap or garlic oil; as a last resort, spray with pyrethrin.

I'm sure there is more info out there...
those fckers hitching rides...i have to spray my yard like weekly for them bastards...at one point i over did it, and some of my pepper leafs suffered with chemical reaction, thought before it was deficiency...

Devv said:
Your paradise climate has that one down fall, no cycles to kill the bugs. Have you ever released lady bugs?
yea thats my downfall here...before i didnt know what the larvae looks like for lady bugs i end up killing them all...i dont even know were the lady bugs came from, and im not sure if theres a place here in hawaii that sells lady bugs, and if i order them in mainland dunno if they gonna arrive alive here

If they show up on their own, let them do the work, more should come and they thin out when they're done.

One thing about anything you use to kill whiteflies, mites, or aphids, it will kill the lady bugs.

Back