• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

DF 2018 Veg Grow log

More seeds today. 
Eggplant from fresh and Crimson Sweet Watermelon, figured might as well try since i got these seeds.

3cA2kPo.jpg

Want to try the stem bury thing for your chilis too growing in coco medium. I would like to see a lot of chili growers all around the world to test it's effects on chili grow/possible total harvest increase. Start the thing with the rockwool germination, let the seedling grow some of that exposed stem and put the rockwool piece in the bottom of the small pot, then fill the void with coco. Do the same thing with the medium pot, if there is some lower leaves growing in the lower stem, start picking them off little by little at a time and let the stem heal between leaf picking, then when you think it is time for another increase in pot size, finally bury that exposed stem in the medium pot and the cycle repeats again.

Seems to work great with 3 different pot size changes: small, medium and then the final large container, where you put the medium pot to the bottom of the large container with a little soil in the bottom of the large pot, then fill the remaining void with the growing medium burying most of the stem inside the growing medium.

Wait about 2-3 weeks for the magic to really happen with the new roots growing from the buried stem as you dont notice anything different before that.

Hmm, interesting to try, got flies coming up now from the soil pot, I use my spent coffee grounds in the pots so probably does not help with the insect problem. WIll see how much coco I have left if any.
Thanks!

dragonsfire said:
Hmm, interesting to try, got flies coming up now from the soil pot, I use my spent coffee grounds in the pots so probably does not help with the insect problem. WIll see how much coco I have left if any.
Thanks!

Try putting a a small  wide container with plenty of some water diluted apple winegar and then put one drop of colorless/odorless basic soap in there too intended for washing you dishes. Those fools will go there and kill themselves by drowning and learned this nice trick by watching my friend do it, also saw loads of those dead flys too in the containers bottom.

I normally just use white vinegar in a bottle to grab them lol. I checked the shed and no more coco core so have to wait.
Thanks!

dragonsfire said:
I normally just use white vinegar in a bottle to grab them lol. I checked the shed and no more coco core so have to wait.
Thanks!

Apple winegar works best, the key is also the drop of soap to break the tension of the water and maybe drop some of the those thin banana fibre things you peel from the surface of the banana, when you try to eat it. Create some delicious cocktail of death for them, as flys need love too! :woohoo:

i found if i started zucchini(similar to pumpkin or cucumber) too early and top watered the plants they would rot at the surface level and when the plant would die, i noticed the plant would be all plant and no root. it may have been all the energy went into the leaves and the weight of the leaves bent the plant at the surface level, bottom watering may help develop a strong root system.

eggplant is really hard to fruit because it is rated for zone 13, i was able to get 3 mini eggplant fruit but magpies ate them.

i have never grown horseradish from seed but do have a well established plant but i learned from neighbours that it had to be kept under control, so i planted my cuttings in a 5 gallon pale that i dug into the ground and that has kept it from overtaking my yard. In one of Lois Hole's books she talks about Suffield DND's attempt to eradicate horseradish, virtually impossible.

dragonsfire said:
They were the smallest, 1.5" if I recall.

I got these:

IMG_20180205_2011001.jpg

B'cuzz and Grodan delta rockwool cubes with plastic around them and both are 4x4x4cm, those cubes come right off without any tools if you want to separate them. I recomment using those smaller ones for germinating.

Almost lost my tomatoes, I left the lid off and next morning found them dry and flopped over, added water hoping they would come back and most did. Today found some coco coir and added it to them, will transplant them to egg container a bit later. Two regular pumpkins came up and transplanted them.

tlTq204.jpg
pYLgEQY.jpg
32x9c9P.jpg
5TSvVus.jpg

Back