• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

DF 2019 Veg Glog

Hops survived their first winter  :dance:

WiWHJms.jpg

Wow, my rhubarb is just coming out of the ground now. Given the frequent frosts we have had I am not complaining. Nice healthy plants DF. 

Hey DF.  Do you have a good climate for hops generally?  I have hop Valhalla (the Yakima area) only a couple hours east of me, but I'm on the wrong side of the Cascade mountains from so I get much better performance from more damp-tolerant varieties like Cascade and Willamette.  There's varieties I'd love to grow, but I know from experience they won't do particularly great here. 

Also curious what you do with your harvested cones.

Thanks!
I think the ground covers adds some heat to the ground and speeds things up, my guess.
Depends on the Hops, these are zone 4, I buried them so their nicely insulated so as they go deeper they should be good for now on. I use the cones for tea :) I have had a nice tree of Hops some five years ago so they do grow nicely here despite the weather.

Put a couple pots outside, my Dill is consumed by aphids Lemon Basil also Aphids, funny the regular sweet basil not having a problem, the Thai basil doing nice.
Tonights supposed to be 3c then 6c on average for the week.

eJR0PjT.jpg

5SF5dKN.jpg

aYkBr4X.jpg

We're in for some warming at the beginning of the week, but then it give it all back by the end. So planning is tricky. I hope you have a place to take in your plants! 

dragonsfire said:
Yup, happy times :)
I have a Rhubarb too thats four years old thats been through hell, two years in my last place barely did anything, now second year in my new place looks like it is still alive and hoping it will get big and well established.
Once you get a decent harvest, try the Cooks' Illustrated sous vide recipe for rhubarb. I grew up with slimy, stringy, mushy strawberry rhubard sauce. This new recipe is a revelation.

Tilled my garden yesterday, raked it today, re-cover the one side, need more garden staples so I can do the left side, pulled a wheelbarrow of weeds out. Def going to cover the soil makes a huge difference with the weeds, the other side was a quick till and no weeds to pull.
Temps to drop to +2c on the weekend so still no planting the sensitive stuff. +30c right now.

bjtK2QZ.jpg

Yup, was a pain and glad its done. Weather is just unpredictable, this "May Weekend" supposed to be when its safe to plant but so far will wait to see what the next week shows. Will do beats etc once I can nail down the ground fabric, been real windy and picking up more again.

Black ant convention yesterday. Disapeard shortly after, maybe preparing for todays rain.
Looks like I might get grapes this year :)
Should be a full Blackcurrant bush this year, Gooseberries are hopeful too.

ryHdYhF.jpg

UVm1nVo.jpg

jk1qkxz.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Black ant convention yesterday. Disapeard shortly after, maybe preparing for todays rain.
Looks like I might get grapes this year :)
Should be a full Blackcurrant bush this year, Gooseberries are hopeful too.

ryHdYhF.jpg

UVm1nVo.jpg

jk1qkxz.jpg
Man, I hope those ants are not conversing about how to farm aphids. eeek, lol

Back