• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

diapers anyone?

You beat me to it! I wanted to try this as well. Maybe I will give this a shot my self and join the experiment if you don't mind me jumping in and taking some of your thunder.

One cool thing about this stuff is, you can "reanimate" it by adding water. Meaning it turns liquid if you add enough water, freeing up any roots. ;)

Go ahead, join in - is all about generating knowledge here. The more the better!

Cheers Al

hey, there folks...

MAYOR UPDATE ... I put the seeds in on april 18th

so now, just a week after we got some action going on ....

I see at least 2 of the ROCOTOS germinating after 7 days (and those are supposedly slow starters)

2C81F0CC-orig_zps9be6cf79.jpg

also, the ROYAL BLACK is doing fine ... it seems that 5 out of 5 are germinating

AB974525-orig_zps1acadcfe.jpg

the fataliis - still nothing - but I used them for the experiment because I guess its old seed sold locally - and I get extremely low germ rates (15-20%) ...

just a short rehash:

- its clean diaper hydrogel in a cup
- tap water, with a dash of h2o2 on top where I put the seeds
- without heatmat
- put in a warmish place (75ºf) and nothing else - (minimal attention)

- no (visual) contamination or funghi
- germing in this medium seems absolutely viable and pretty fast as well

stay tuned for more updates in the next few days!

cheers,
Al

Ok so no signs of germ for mine yet, and the soil aeration thing I said was rubbish.

It does add volume or fluff to the soil, but it doesn't allow air to pass through. The normal 20% perlite seemed to fix that problem.

And I am still impressed by the water retention properties.

Ok so no signs of germ for mine yet, and the soil aeration thing I said was rubbish.

It does add volume or fluff to the soil, but it doesn't allow air to pass through. The normal 20% perlite seemed to fix that problem.

And I am still impressed by the water retention properties.

one "learning" from my germination cup ...

dont use one with a hole poked on the underside .... (i recycled an old baby pot) ... it seems to be better when the cup is closed down under - as it retains humidity better

cheers
al

one "learning" from my germination cup ...

dont use one with a hole poked on the underside .... (i recycled an old baby pot) ... it seems to be better when the cup is closed down under - as it retains humidity better

cheers
al

Same here, no holes just gel. I wonder if the amount of water to gel ratio makes a difference in germinating.

Same here, no holes just gel. I wonder if the amount of water to gel ratio makes a difference in germinating.

could be ... as a matter of fact - mine got rather dry on top (as I didnt check every day) so that might be something - however, I feel that the seeds didnt particularly care, once you are somewhere near "the zone" (warm and moist) ;D

cheers, al

'nother minor update ...

4 of the 5 rocotos are sprouting ... again, thats day 8!

E6AC1682-orig_zps3d34739e.jpg

and the royal black most definitely need a new house in the next day or two

83FC38BE-orig_zps4e0bb34a.jpg

both pic taken at night, with a strong LED flashlight behind - kinda like the effect ;)

cheers,
Al

Back