• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Didn't Soak Rockwool, start again?

Hey.

Well i went to the local hydro store and picked up 30 cubes of rockwool, after having absolutely no success with germinating in soil and have loaded them up with 30 seeds.

Problem is, i wetted the rockwool before i put the seeds in, but i just read that they have to be soaked to balance the Ph.

Are my 30 seeds lost? is it worth taking them out and soaking them? (bit of a hassle)

Thanks

Why not pour water through the rock wool to "wash" it; or put it in a tub of water and soak it with the seeds for 1/2 a day and then drain the cubes? They've already been wet for a while so that may work.

Thanks guys.

Also, will seeds germinate just sitting on top of the rockwool? Ihave a few seeds i just placed on top (not in the hole), so i could germinate more than one per cube.

Or can i stick 2 seeds down the hole?

Thanks guys.

Also, will seeds germinate just sitting on top of the rockwool? Ihave a few seeds i just placed on top (not in the hole), so i could germinate more than one per cube.

Or can i stick 2 seeds down the hole?

LOL, now you've done it! This is a bone of contention here and you will get many opinions; so here's mine: I always plant 2 seeds per coir puck and separate after the second set of real leaves. I've got 40 plants, 32 of which are chinense and 8 annums and I've probably separated 10-15 pairs of seedlings and haven't lost any plants in the process. If only 1 seed sprouts I plant the puck, otherwise I cut the skin (around the puck) and separate the 2 plants w/coir and plant the seedlings and remaining coir into the potting soil. There is certainly more than one way to do this; so choose the one you're most comfortable with. Cheers.

Edit: I wouldn't place the seed on top because it will be difficult to keep the moisture level consistent. If it's "in" the wool it will aid the shedding of the seed shell also.

Back